Disabling .NET Passport options in Windows Messenger v5

Hi, I wonder if anyone can provide any hints. We've got Windows
Messenger v5 installed plus Live Communication Server. We only want
users to be able to use WM5 internally so communication is limited to
other staff in the company, i.e. they can only log into a SIP
Communication Service Account. What I'm actually asking is: is it
possible to disable all the .NET Passport account options? Or how else
might we stop external comms?

Many thanks.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been trying to accomplish the exact same thing. There was a registry
key that only allowed Exchange IM connectivity for Messenger, which was
great, but now that we're testing the migration to Live Communication Server,
we don't have a way to disable .NET logon. Please help...? I'd rather block
access to the options entirely versus blocking traffic at the firewall (and
having people complaining that they configured it but doesn't work, and then
going through the IM policy with them again...)

"The_Black_Piggy" wrote:

> Hi, I wonder if anyone can provide any hints. We've got Windows
> Messenger v5 installed plus Live Communication Server. We only want
> users to be able to use WM5 internally so communication is limited to
> other staff in the company, i.e. they can only log into a SIP
> Communication Service Account. What I'm actually asking is: is it
> possible to disable all the .NET Passport account options? Or how else
> might we stop external comms?
>
> Many thanks.

Dependent upon the version of Live Communications Server that you have,
there is an .adm template that you can use in a GPO. The RTCClient.adm
template is either "installed" on the server (LCS 2005), or available on the
LCS 2003 CD.

There is a template called RTCClient.adm. This template is located in
your %windir%/inf directory (generally C:\Windows\Inf) on the LCS server and
on any server/workstation where the LCS 2005 administrative tools are
instaled.

If you installed the tools on your domain controllers, then it should be
right there and ready to use. Otherwise, you may need to copy it up. Note:
I prefer to create a new GPO, remove all of the other templates, and then
add the RTCClient.adm template. ...not a best practice, just a preference.

Bob

Note: There is a Microsoft.public.livecomm.general newsgroup
"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to accomplish the exact same thing. There was a registry
> key that only allowed Exchange IM connectivity for Messenger, which was
> great, but now that we're testing the migration to Live Communication
Server,
> we don't have a way to disable .NET logon. Please help...? I'd rather
block
> access to the options entirely versus blocking traffic at the firewall
(and
> having people complaining that they configured it but doesn't work, and
then
> going through the IM policy with them again...)
>
> "The_Black_Piggy" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I wonder if anyone can provide any hints. We've got Windows
> > Messenger v5 installed plus Live Communication Server. We only want
> > users to be able to use WM5 internally so communication is limited to
> > other staff in the company, i.e. they can only log into a SIP
> > Communication Service Account. What I'm actually asking is: is it
> > possible to disable all the .NET Passport account options? Or how else
> > might we stop external comms?
> >
> > Many thanks.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thar she be!

Thanks, Bob, that's exactly what I was looking for.

"Bob Christian" wrote:

> Dependent upon the version of Live Communications Server that you have,
> there is an .adm template that you can use in a GPO. The RTCClient.adm
> template is either "installed" on the server (LCS 2005), or available on the
> LCS 2003 CD.
>
> There is a template called RTCClient.adm. This template is located in
> your %windir%/inf directory (generally C:\Windows\Inf) on the LCS server and
> on any server/workstation where the LCS 2005 administrative tools are
> instaled.
>
> If you installed the tools on your domain controllers, then it should be
> right there and ready to use. Otherwise, you may need to copy it up. Note:
> I prefer to create a new GPO, remove all of the other templates, and then
> add the RTCClient.adm template. ...not a best practice, just a preference.
>
> Bob
>

> Note: There is a Microsoft.public.livecomm.general newsgroup
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to accomplish the exact same thing. There was a registry
> > key that only allowed Exchange IM connectivity for Messenger, which was
> > great, but now that we're testing the migration to Live Communication
> Server,
> > we don't have a way to disable .NET logon. Please help...? I'd rather
> block
> > access to the options entirely versus blocking traffic at the firewall
> (and
> > having people complaining that they configured it but doesn't work, and
> then
> > going through the IM policy with them again...)
> >
> > "The_Black_Piggy" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I wonder if anyone can provide any hints. We've got Windows
> > > Messenger v5 installed plus Live Communication Server. We only want
> > > users to be able to use WM5 internally so communication is limited to
> > > other staff in the company, i.e. they can only log into a SIP
> > > Communication Service Account. What I'm actually asking is: is it
> > > possible to disable all the .NET Passport account options? Or how else
> > > might we stop external comms?
> > >
> > > Many thanks.

No problem =^)