itgl72

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Yesterday I decided to put in the newest driver for my ATI 8500 Radeon. This is on an XP PRO P4 machine. Along with the driver is the ATI Control panel. Seems something went awry during its install. Yes the driver did install, but the control panel, which allows me to control the antialiasing, etc, did not install correctly.

When I click on the setup program it gives me some type of error about extracting the support files and can't do something with a file that already exists. I also see the ATI control panel in the XP control panels add/remove programs but there's no info about it (like rarely used, date, etc) When I try to uninstall it, nothing happens. It just bounces right back to the XP control panels add/remove programs window.

Anyone ever come across this issue? I can't reinstall it, I can't uninstall it, I can't set up the settings for my Radeon.

Suggestions welcome on this one. I emailed ATI support, but who knows how long that will take for a response or if it will help?

Thanks!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I understand you a stuck with the ATI Control Panel. It won't uninstall but have you tried to uninstall the video driver? Maybe if you uninstall the video driver and reinstall it you will have better luck with the Control Panel as well.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

itgl72

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Yes I have uninstalled it. Darn XP just reinstalls it though. I have read some things about it on rage3d site. Seems everyone has an issue with that.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
yah....why must Windows XP force to re-install drivers that you do not want there...I still want to know how to FULLY eliminate Radeon drivers when I'm trying to upgrade to the latest patch...also can Windows XP stop forcing windows drivers when you uninstall certain hardware...Instruction says uninstall the radeon drivers and after you restart the PC and boot up you should be running on "stnadard vga" driver and not any other Radeon driver! Are there any Radeon destroyers...like Detonator destroyers?

itgl72

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Well after wrestling with it for a bit I got it to install. I ended up really needing to disable my network connection to the internet so it would not automatically install the driver. I also had task manager open, and when the rundll came up on the list and XP was trying to get the driver installed again I ended the task. Between disabling the network connection and ending the rundll task I was able to muddle through. After uninstalling the driver and getting back into windows I didn't muddle through looking to delete files. Basically all the files I saw with a no hidden file search was stuff from the rollback directory. Well after this I got the original AT RADEON DRIVER CD out and loaded that and the control panel for it. Then I uninstalled it, went through the same process as above. To clean out the registry I ran REGCLEAN and REGCLEANER together. I was just trying to keep this process simple, since it was already a pain.

So now the latest catalyst driver and ATI control panel are installed.

My only other outstanding issue, is I don't think ANTI ALIASING is working. Actually I don't ever recall a HUGE difference in what I saw in ANTI ALIASING when I juiced up the settings in the control panel. I remember what anti aliasing looked like when I had my voodoo cards, but I don't think I have ever gotten great anti aliasing from this 8500. I had MS FS 2002 on last night and the mountains in the distance are totally jagged, as are the other looks in this flight sim. This video card scene is always a form of frustration. But I guess the anti aliasing issue is a good candidate for a new thread on this forum.

Thanks for the help folks.. Feel free to continue commenting.

-G