Wireless Network Question

Josh

I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell and
have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a small
problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
help.

The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I get
an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the laptop.

One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home on
both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained that
right ... any ideas?

Thanks

The network name comes from the router and the default is likely belkin54g.
The workgroup name is home. Related, but not important.

Does you I6000 have Norton Security on it? This keeps file sharing from
working. I've not tried to figure out how to get around it, other than
disabling it, but I suspect there is a way to do so.

It this is your first experience with wireless, do a google search on
wireless security. You're broadcasting to the world right now and you want
to secure it.

Tom
"Josh" <krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell
> and
> have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a small
> problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
> help.
>
> The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
> files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
> icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I get
> an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the laptop.
>
> One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
> taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home on
> both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained that
> right ... any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Josh,
What version of XP do you have do you have on the Laptop? If it is XP Home the following folders cannot be shared.
C:\Programs
C:\Windows
C:\Documents and Settings

You will need to go futher into the folder tree and set sharing for a specific folder. So if you wanted to share document templates in MS Office or MS Word, you might select to Share the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

Also make sure that File and Printing is set on the PC's.

For XP SP2:
Control Panel> Security Center> Manage Setting section> Firewall> Exception tab> Check box for File & Printing Sharing.

If you are using a third party firewall, you will need to do the same. Also check your Router settings, and make sure that is set to allow sharing.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

""Josh" <krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell
> and
> have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a small
> problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
> help.
>
> The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
> files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
> icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I get
> an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the laptop.
>
> One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
> taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home on
> both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained that
> right ... any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:47:44 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>The network name comes from the router and the default is likely belkin54g.
>The workgroup name is home. Related, but not important.
>
>Does you I6000 have Norton Security on it? This keeps file sharing from
>working. I've not tried to figure out how to get around it, other than
>disabling it, but I suspect there is a way to do so.

Usually the firewalls have rules you can set up and I'm guessing NS
can do rules. These rules allow or disallow ip addresses or ranges to
penetrate the firewall.

Now, if you ask me, I would dump any Norton product due to being a
resource hog (tho some say the NAV product is good).

Josh

Well I have McAfee on the laptop and I just double checked to make sure that
firewall is allowing NETBIOS port139 to the network and not blocking it.
Now the desktop under workgroup computers shows the laptop but when you
double click it the error of I6000 is not accessible. The network path was
not found.

> The network name comes from the router and the default is likely
> belkin54g. The workgroup name is home. Related, but not important.
>
> Does you I6000 have Norton Security on it? This keeps file sharing from
> working. I've not tried to figure out how to get around it, other than
> disabling it, but I suspect there is a way to do so.
>
> It this is your first experience with wireless, do a google search on
> wireless security. You're broadcasting to the world right now and you
> want to secure it.
>
> Tom
> "Josh" <krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell
>> and
>> have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a
>> small
>> problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
>> help.
>>
>> The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
>> files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
>> icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I
>> get an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the
>> laptop.
>>
>> One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
>> taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home
>> on both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained
>> that right ... any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:58:41 -0400, "Josh"
<krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well I have McAfee on the laptop and I just double checked to make sure that
>firewall is allowing NETBIOS port139 to the network and not blocking it.
>Now the desktop under workgroup computers shows the laptop but when you
>double click it the error of I6000 is not accessible. The network path was
>not found.
>
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> The network name comes from the router and the default is likely
>> belkin54g. The workgroup name is home. Related, but not important.
>>
>> Does you I6000 have Norton Security on it? This keeps file sharing from
>> working. I've not tried to figure out how to get around it, other than
>> disabling it, but I suspect there is a way to do so.
>>
>> It this is your first experience with wireless, do a google search on
>> wireless security. You're broadcasting to the world right now and you
>> want to secure it.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Josh" <krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell
>>> and
>>> have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a
>>> small
>>> problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
>>> help.
>>>
>>> The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
>>> files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
>>> icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I
>>> get an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
>>> taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home
>>> on both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained
>>> that right ... any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Just for eliminating the variables, why not disable the firewalls and
both pc/laptops and see if they network okay together. Many times the
firewalls are the culprit (not always tho).

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:58:41 -0400, "Josh"
<krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well I have McAfee on the laptop and I just double checked to make sure that
>firewall is allowing NETBIOS port139 to the network and not blocking it.
>Now the desktop under workgroup computers shows the laptop but when you
>double click it the error of I6000 is not accessible. The network path was
>not found.

Also, forgot to add to my post a minute or so ago.

Try rebooting after you disable the firewalls and see if they network
both ways.

Josh

Running XP PRO on the desktop and XP Home on the laptop. Just doubled
checked the info below and it all looks fine on that end.

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
Josh,
What version of XP do you have do you have on the Laptop? If it is XP Home
the following folders cannot be shared.
C:\Programs
C:\Windows
C:\Documents and Settings

You will need to go futher into the folder tree and set sharing for a
specific folder. So if you wanted to share document templates in MS Office
or MS Word, you might select to Share the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

Also make sure that File and Printing is set on the PC's.

For XP SP2:
Control Panel> Security Center> Manage Setting section> Firewall> Exception
tab> Check box for File & Printing Sharing.

If you are using a third party firewall, you will need to do the same. Also
check your Router settings, and make sure that is set to allow sharing.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

""Josh" <krazyassmonkey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just received my Inspiron 6000 and the Belkin 5400 router from Dell
> and
> have started to network the laptop with my Dimension 8200. I have a small
> problem that I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully someone out there can
> help.
>
> The laptop is able to see the desktop and also able to access all the
> files that I've set to share with it. On the desktop in the network both
> icons for both systems are visible but if I click on the laptop icon I get
> an error of path not found. I have the drive set to share on the laptop.
>
> One thing I'm confused about though, the wireless connection icon in the
> taskbar says the network is belkin54g but I have named the network Home on
> both systems. Not sure if this is even important? Hope I explained that
> right ... any ideas?
>
> Thanks

There is a workaround for those folders in home. You have to boot into safe
mode, log on as the Administrator and change the security access to the
folders from there.

If you google it, there are specific instructions.

Tom