Microsoft's Phonelines Aren't As Busy Since Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
That's pretty awesome, but unfortunate for "James" the middle easterner who answers your call after the computer talks to you. How will his company ever pay him 5 cents an hour for outsourcing phone networks?

pullmyfinger123

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
maybe it's because people gave up on Microsoft completely,

or realized they know more about windows and its fixes than the average Microsoft Customer Support people.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Either it's more stable or people are pirating more.
Can´t say, still using XP till I upgrade my rig, it can handle 7 but I want all the extra fps XP gives me :)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
on one hand it could signal that 7 is less prone to issues than past versions, on the other hand it could say people have given up on microsoft to support them and are doing it themselves..i'm leaning more towards the second myself :)

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well I haven't called them yet ... because I haven't bought it yet.
But I will. Buy Win 7 that is, but I don't think I will need to call support. I am quite miffed at the slow performance of Vista on my laptop.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Sounds like it's just corporate BS. It's just Microsoft saying calls are half of "what it expected." They could've expected anything. There's no context to provide perspective or data to back it up. And less tech support calls could mean anything from lack of problems to just lack of faith in tech support being helpful. I can't imagine ever calling Microsoft unless it had to do with activation BS.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I worked for MS for a few years and if thats accurate then a bunch of people are losing their jobs soon, but they will be external contractors so no one else will notice or care.

Big IT companies still employ tons of support people for phone and email, because the average user has no clue how to resolve most problems, and if you do, that alone doesnt make you awesome

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
There is some great resources online. But the ability to debug and fix issues on Windows has gotten so much easier. Recently on 7 I had a problem where it wasn't idling to sleep though I could make it sleep manually. Went online, found a simple command line that list all services making requests preventing the computer from sleeping. Found just one, went into the control panel and turned it off, and voila! Fixed in under 2 minutes. Never has it been easier.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Maybe they have fewer calls than ever because they aren't doing as much tech support over the phone. Seriously though, it sounds like Win 7 is finally the winner MS was aiming for.

I was shocked as well that I didn't have to call up MS for support. No issues activating, installing, or whatever else you can think of. Thus far I am quite impressed with W7, as it is indeed a winner.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have win 7 (64 bit pro) installed on an Intel SSD on the wife's quad core 2.3 GHz AMD and it runs beautifully. Haven't had a single issue and I'm loving the

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Interesting, something happened there to cut half my comment away... Anyway, I'm loving the less than 30 seconds boot time from a cold start. My only issue is Epson won't make 64-bit drivers for her 5 year old scanner.

ltgrunt

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
A more stable, easier to use operating system has less problems and therefore generates fewer tech support calls. OMG! Stop the presses!

On a less sarcastic note, what's up with the opening of this article? Seriously - "A vocal few of you expressed shock and horror at one tech support firm's report saying that some Windows 7 users do indeed experience technical difficulties..." - seems to be a bit of pointless Windows and Windows-user bashing.

gayan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I have always had problems with microsoft, but have never called them, always found a faster way (googling it)... so I think this statistic is quite misleading...

james_0505

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]That's pretty awesome, but unfortunate for "James" the middle easterner who answers your call after the computer talks to you. How will his company ever pay him 5 cents an hour for outsourcing phone networks?[/citation]

But its 2 cents and a bag of rice for me =X

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]maybe it's because people gave up on Microsoft completely,or realized they know more about windows and its fixes than the average Microsoft Customer Support people.[/citation]

Same here, but then I had little to no headaches with Vista either

roxim5

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
[citation][nom]ltgrunt[/nom]On a less sarcastic note, what's up with the opening of this article? Seriously - "A vocal few of you expressed shock and horror at one tech support firm's report saying that some Windows 7 users do indeed experience technical difficulties..." - seems to be a bit of pointless Windows and Windows-user bashing.[/citation]

It is a reference to a previous article where people commented angrily about a topic that actually was not negative at all.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
self help is what has been resorted to because no matter what tech related company you call it takes you 15 minutes just to find the right person to talk to and another 15-30 minutes on hold waiting for them to answer. It takes them 15 seconds to tell you to reinstall which takes you a few hours. Rinse and repeat. There is no such thing as customer service in the tech industry. Tech service is an oxymoron.

Status
Not open for further replies.