Sign in with
Your question

No signal on screen have to power off to use comp.

Tags:
  • Power
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 2, 2010 8:40:40 AM

hi my problem started a few days ago my screen will suddenly say no input it is not in sleep or anything like that as its turned off then i have to power off it happened once i thought nothing of it restarted then i was gaming for a bit and during the game it went off but so did game sound so i know its the computer and not my screen when i restarted it started to go off after 2-3 mins so i tried a system restore to 3 days before when it was working that was fine for 18 hours didnt go off once then i woke this morning to find it had done it again. cpu stays powered up all fans are on. tv power is still on just says no input device ive just moved onto windows 7 3 weeks ago. so maybe its something to do with that? any help would be appreciated.

More about : signal screen power comp

a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2010 1:37:24 PM

If its not a loose wire, or something
it sounds like it could be the video card...
i would try stress testing it. I use a program called Furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/)
Make sure you have enough power for your video card to work. If your PSU isn't powerful enough, it will start to put out less consistent power over time.
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:36:35 PM

yea its deffinately not software/driver issues or anything like that as i have just knocked the case softly as i sat down and it went off so nxt boot up out of curousity i give it a lil tap like ya would tap some1 on the shoulder it went off (i know not exactly conventional method or identifying it as hardware prob but narrowed things down :D  lol and thanks arges il have another check of all connections n reinsert gpu n memory ect oh about 4 weeks ago my psu died and i had to buy a new one i guess its possible that caused it but wouldnt it have been like this straight away when i put the new one in? it worked perfect for 2/3 weeks
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2010 6:04:44 PM

quick update i ran furmark stability test it lasted 7 mins then the prob occured temp was 81 i only got the card in december :@ im gunna go to my sisters and get my old 8500 n try that on furmark see if it goes off maybe even try a lil tap on the case :S then again i think a hammer would be a better option :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2010 6:19:06 PM

sometimes cards can be just defective
hence warranty plans
and you have enough power to run everything properly?
m
l
August 3, 2010 6:28:59 AM

yea at least i think, im runnin a 450 with 9800gt 2gb ddr2 and q6600, i know i could do with more bu it ran fine for 8 month with that setup.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 6:02:20 PM

cards can die at any time
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:27:09 PM

ok so i tested my old 8500 gt in there which is fine running perfect in anopther comp, that goes off 2. when i put my 9800 bk in i started up loaded windows slid my comp slowly across the wooded floor to put it neatly agains the desk i got the problem no signal on tv, fans still runnin but no leds lit on keyboard or mouse so i guess no power is going to them but this can happen within 5 mins of turning the comp on to i played cod4 yesterday for 8 hours having 10-15 min breaks every hour was fine then suddenly no signal. its cracking me up :S
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:24:30 PM

right i tried a 350 watt psu out of my mates comp n that worked fine i only put the 8500 gt in but it never crashed and had no input on the screen so i guess i have bought a faulty psu so il take it bk only 2 weeks old so the should replace it thanks for your help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2010 4:07:14 AM

it's annoying when its faulty hardware...
sorry i couldn't be more help.
These things happen some times, hooray warranty
m
l
August 6, 2010 7:31:58 PM

aye thnx m8 appreciate ur effort
m
l
!