Xpert 2000 and 12 Volt drain

Jennifer_B

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002
Hello;

I have a computer which reboots itself at odd intervals, (usually when I am putting a strain on it). I beleive the reboots are caused by a drop in the 12 volt line to just over 6 volts. I have upgraded motherboard, CPU, memory, Case and Power Supply. Now this machine has all new components except for hard drives and video card ATI Xpert 2000. The weird thing is that the problem with low voltage is still there. So I now suspect that the ATI card may be the culprit.

Any thoughts anyone.

System config
ECS K7S5A Mainboard
AMD Athlon XP 2000
256 MB DRAM
ATI Xpert2000
300 Watt power supply
80 Gig and 30 Gig Hard Drives
40X CD
8X CDRW

Thanks in Advance

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is your ECS board the latest revision... the older revisions did have problems with resetting, though this was either a Mobo problem or a PSU problem, the solution is out there... (and those K7S5As are fussy about what power unit you have... what brand is yours ???)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

Jennifer_B

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002
Hi marneus;

Thanaks for the quick reply.

The Power Supply came with the case. It is your standard generic 300 W Dual Voltage variety with no manufacturers name on it.

I have recently updated the BIOS. Now I feel really stupid since when I first got this machine the first thing I did was to go to the ECS web site and look for an updated BIOS. ECS lists their files in Chronological order with the oldest on top. I am so used to having the newest on top, I did not even scroll down to look.

Anyway, I haven't pushed the machine since the upgrade, but so far it appears to be working fine.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to upgrade the Video Card anyway, since the ATI Xpression2000 sucks for games.

Jennifer_B

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your power supply is not good enough, get a better name brand 350 watt. they all recomend 300 but if you want to get a good video card and some add ons, 300 just doesnt cut it anymore.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
300Watt is more than enouhg for your use. Dont waste money on getting a new power supply when you dont need it. It is a very common misconseption that 300watt is not enough. I am running a thunderbird 1.4gig with 2 cd drives 2 7200 hard drives and a whole lot of other hardware on a 230watt power supply and it has been running 100% stable since august 2001. So dont go wasting money on a better power supply. You dont need it.
AREA_51