Civ3 Conquest Cheats?

ny cheats for Civ 3 Conquest?

Why do I ask. Playing Regent..the Incas seem to always build the
wonders 1 turn before I do.

And the last turn - they have 31 gold. Next turn - they have 8134
gold, 3 new technologies...and declare war on me. Of course, all my
allies must be bought off - because they declare war on me.

So what do I do...cheat.

So, anyone know of any Civ 3 Conquest cheats?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> ny cheats for Civ 3 Conquest?
>
> Why do I ask. Playing Regent..the Incas seem to always build the
> wonders 1 turn before I do.
>
> And the last turn - they have 31 gold. Next turn - they have 8134
> gold, 3 new technologies...and declare war on me. Of course, all my
> allies must be bought off - because they declare war on me.
>

> So what do I do...cheat.
>
> So, anyone know of any Civ 3 Conquest cheats?

Make sure you have applied the latest patch to conquests. There is a gold
per turn bug in the release version wich could help explain that.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:52:18 GMT, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
>> ny cheats for Civ 3 Conquest?
>>
>> Why do I ask. Playing Regent..the Incas seem to always build the
>> wonders 1 turn before I do.
>>
>> And the last turn - they have 31 gold. Next turn - they have 8134
>> gold, 3 new technologies...and declare war on me. Of course, all my
>> allies must be bought off - because they declare war on me.
>>

>> So what do I do...cheat.
>>
>> So, anyone know of any Civ 3 Conquest cheats?
>
>Make sure you have applied the latest patch to conquests. There is a gold
>per turn bug in the release version wich could help explain that.

Also -- no cheats for Civ3 (any version). But you don't need them.
The game comes with an editor, so you can change the rules. Of
course, if you change the rules, that is sort of like changing the
difficulty level, so why not just play on an easier level?

What else? Did you change the default AI aggression level higher
when you start the game? That can make them a *lot* more warlike,
much more willing to go to war.

BTW, the gold per turn bug works both ways -- the player can take
advantage of it too. It isn't just an AI thing.

As for how the AI can do smart things and beat you -- no cheating is
necessary. The AI can pull those things off simply by smart planning.

Wonders -- do *you* know how to beat the AI to a Wonder when it is
one turn away from getting it?

First instant way is to get a Scientific leader. The AI tends to
use them immediately if there is a Wonder available, so it isn't the
best tool to use for winning a race to the wonder. Same for humans,
we tend not to save them until later. But they certainly can keep it
around a few turns, especially if they don't have the tech for that
wonder. Get the tech, rush the wonder in one turn -- thus beating
you.

Next way is to change production -- the AI was building another
wonder or palace somewhere, and it has enough to finish the new
wonder.

The other way is to simply be building it at the same time, and just
win the race to it. With enough production this is definitely doable,
and the AI is pretty good about optimizing its prime wonder-making
cities.

The pile of gold deal is likely trading. I don't know what thing
they had to trade which was worth 3 techs and 8000 gold -- but it
could be something like they researched one (if it was philosophy,
they'd get a second), or they built a wonder which grants techs.
Either way, a new tech can be sold to other AI for lots of gold. Same
deal can apply for the war plan -- loads of stuff can exchange hands
when military alliances are negotiated.

I do it when I declare war -- sell stuff to them for whatever I can
get, then pay for the military alliance.

When you talk about your allies, which alliance do you mean? A
*military* alliance means that you were already at war, and those
*are* expensive to buy off. A mutual protection pact isn't really an
alliance -- it is just a promise to fight on your side after you are
physically attacked. If the bribe to join the other side comes before
the actual attack, the MPP is "just a piece of paper." Right of
passage and trade agreements aren't alliances, and the AI will accept
the diplomatic penalties to break them *if* it looks like you are the
ripe plum to be taken in war.

After all, I do the same thing when I go to war. I look at all of
my neighbors, all of my enemy's neighbors, and see what alliances I
can pay for. It is cheaper to get an alliance for tons of gold than
to have another enemy in the war, and the AI "knows" that too.

If you think that Regent level AI can be aggressive, you should try
out the harder levels ;-)

There isn't anything wrong with playing at a lower difficulty level.
The reason for having them is to fit the challenge to your playing
style. Regent, while nominally being equal to the human player is
rough abilities, is very challenging to new players, and even to some
with experience, because the AI knows what to do -- and it is very
good at using diplomacy with "itself." A human must work to negotiate
with the AI in order to have something close to equal footing in trade
deals (once you get it, you can blow away the AI's trading, but it
does take a while).

On 18 May 2004 16:38:50 -0700, tmuldoon@spliced.com (Tavish Muldoon)
wrote:

>ny cheats for Civ 3 Conquest?
>
>Why do I ask. Playing Regent..the Incas seem to always build the
>wonders 1 turn before I do.
>
>And the last turn - they have 31 gold. Next turn - they have 8134
>gold, 3 new technologies...and declare war on me. Of course, all my
>allies must be bought off - because they declare war on me.

In other words, somebody else paid them to attack you. No
cheat.