Corporate Firewalls....?

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
May 20, 2002 4:21:10 AM

I am currently designing a security component for an assignment (no i dont want you to do it for me)...
The organization has about 300+ users in each of 3 different sites that are to be connected via a VPN through an isp supplying cable modems to each of the sites (which also are used to connect the net).

My problem is that I have no product knowledge of firewalls. My question is this... Could someone please name some popular firewalls that might be able to be used in the above circumstance ~ support VPN and provide an application gateway (aka proxy if in not wrong).

Thanks a bunch,
Shan

More about : corporate firewalls

May 20, 2002 1:34:23 PM

any software firewall will restrict incoming/outgoing connections, but a proxy and a firewall are 2 different things, ok, a proxy and a router or NAT I suppose could be confused as they do a similar job, and many hardware routers also act as a firewall. You dont give too much detail about the setup of your wan, could really use more info.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
May 20, 2002 8:21:46 PM

OpenBSD on an old 486 can do everything you want it to do except clean your house.

<b><font color=blue>Via chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same...all made in TAIWAN!
Related resources
Anonymous
May 23, 2002 8:52:04 AM

CALV, yes yes... cars have stereos and stereos are different things from cars but I can still buy a car with a stereo.

I also know that Motherboards and sound cards, graphics cards are different but it doesnt stop me buying a motherboard that provides the services of all 4(Nvidia crush fro examp).

As I said I'm not really familiar with firewalls and I read something about application gateway services provided by firewalls and they sounded exactly like the services that a proxy server provide so I just assumed.

Let me refrase my question for you :) 

Can you please tell me the names of a few popular firewalls that are used to protect corporate networks?
May 23, 2002 9:27:55 AM

I assumaed that you at least knew the basics if you are working on a corporate network, you still dont say weather you want a hardware or software solution.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
!