optiomsconnections "use a proxy server" ??

Someone who visited my house to pick up some old computers suggested this
for my voice problems with my Netgear Router (mine will not go out, though
my meter moves).

He said Options\Connections, then check the box "use a proxy server", then
in the "Type:" field, choose "HTTP Proxy". OK, you have to enter a server
number - would that be the HTTP number I use to contact my router through
Netgear? (At least that is what I think I am doing). Then user ID and
Password - would that be those used when contacting my router? Then what
about this field to enter info, which I have never heard of: "Realm" ? The
only thing I am sure of is that "port 80" is selected by default.

...D.

Greetings,

The proxy settings within Messenger are for the basic text messaging and connectivity to
Messenger only; the proxy settings have nothing to do with voice conversations at all.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert