I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population, and I have
about 5 armies in the field.

I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are modern armour.
Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in older armies, eg I have
an army with infantry and a tank, I know thats seems silly, but I can't
upgrade them.

Any help would be appreciated,

TIA,

Ian.

"IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in

> I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population,
> and I have about 5 armies in the field.
>
> I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are
> modern armour. Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in
> older armies, eg I have an army with infantry and a tank, I know
> thats seems silly, but I can't upgrade them.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,

There is nothing you can do for older armies. If you have enough
production available, you could (should?) disband the "old" armies for
100 shields each and then build new armies to replace them.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

On 30 May 2004 10:24:10 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
<thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

>"IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in
>
>> I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population,
>> and I have about 5 armies in the field.
>>
>> I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are
>> modern armour. Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in
>> older armies, eg I have an army with infantry and a tank, I know
>> thats seems silly, but I can't upgrade them.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated,
>d build new armies to replace them.

Disbanding is of debatable value -- if the units are still useful, I
think you're better off keeping them, as disbanding doesn't pay off
very well.

If you happen to have an ancient or medieval army, those aren't
worth much anymore, so disbanding is fine. But infantry and tank
still makes for a fairly effective unit in the modern era, so I would
keep it around (as defense and occupation if nothing else).

Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in

> On 30 May 2004 10:24:10 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
> <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:
>
>>"IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in
>>
>>> I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population,
>>> and I have about 5 armies in the field.
>>>
>>> I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are
>>> modern armour. Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units
>>> in older armies, eg I have an army with infantry and a tank, I
>>> know thats seems silly, but I can't upgrade them.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated,
>>d build new armies to replace them.
>
> Disbanding is of debatable value -- if the units are still
> useful, I
> think you're better off keeping them, as disbanding doesn't pay
> off very well.
>
> If you happen to have an ancient or medieval army, those aren't
> worth much anymore, so disbanding is fine. But infantry and tank
> still makes for a fairly effective unit in the modern era, so I
> would keep it around (as defense and occupation if nothing else).

But the number of armies you can have at any one time is limited.
That's why I recommend replacing older armies with modern ones, if you
have the production capacity to do so.

--

In article <c9c6d5$hfc$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, "IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote:
>I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population, and I have
>about 5 armies in the field.
>
>I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are modern armour.
>Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in older armies, eg I have
>an army with infantry and a tank, I know thats seems silly, but I can't
>upgrade them.

In general you cannot remove a unit from and Army nor can you upgrade units
within an Army.

The only way I know of to remove a unit from an Army is to place the Army in a
plague city and get lucky. Units are destroyed at random when they are in a
city that has the plague. Sometimes a unit within the Army will get destroyed
and then you can load a new unit into that slot. Sometimes the Army is
destroyed and you lose the whole thing. Sometimes nothing happens.

>Any help would be appreciated,

Oh well.

Mike G

On 31 May 2004 00:08:16 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
<thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

>Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in
>
>> On 30 May 2004 10:24:10 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
>> <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in

>>>d build new armies to replace them.
>>
>> Disbanding is of debatable value -- if the units are still
>> useful, I
>> think you're better off keeping them, as disbanding doesn't pay
>> off very well.
>>
>> If you happen to have an ancient or medieval army, those aren't
>> worth much anymore, so disbanding is fine. But infantry and tank
>> still makes for a fairly effective unit in the modern era, so I
>> would keep it around (as defense and occupation if nothing else).
>
> But the number of armies you can have at any one time is limited.
>That's why I recommend replacing older armies with modern ones, if you
>have the production capacity to do so.

The limit isn't that low, so I wouldn't disband armies which are
outdated but not totally obsolete unless I was close to the limit.

Still, it isn't a bad idea to disband units which you don't plan on
using -- the gold per turn savings can be well worth it. If I am at
peace, then disbanding obsolete armies looks more attractive than if I
am at war. In the war, every unit may find a use in combat.

Around 5/30/2004 8:52 AM, Jeffery S. Jones proclaimed for posterity:
> On 30 May 2004 10:24:10 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
> <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

> Disbanding is of debatable value -- if the units are still useful, I
> think you're better off keeping them, as disbanding doesn't pay off
> very well.
>
> If you happen to have an ancient or medieval army, those aren't
> worth much anymore, so disbanding is fine. But infantry and tank
> still makes for a fairly effective unit in the modern era, so I would
> keep it around (as defense and occupation if nothing else).

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else keep an old army around for
rather odd reasons? I tend to try to keep one Army around of whatever
the UU is for that nation as a sort of Honor guard for the capital.
Obviously this has no strategic value, and is probably viewed by most as
rather asinine, but I rather like seeing an Egyptian army of 4 war
chariots in the modern age just squatting in the capital. :)

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> "IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in
>
> > I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population,
> > and I have about 5 armies in the field.
> >
> > I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are
> > modern armour. Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in
> > older armies, eg I have an army with infantry and a tank, I know
> > thats seems silly, but I can't upgrade them.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated,
>
> There is nothing you can do for older armies. If you have enough
> production available, you could (should?) disband the "old" armies for
> 100 shields each and then build new armies to replace them.

Surely you must build recycling plant where Military Ac. is. Won't that
give you 50% back? Shouldn't take long to replace Army. Obsolete
armies are expensive to keep. You are paying gpt for every unit in army
and for army.

Disbanding in conquered city would give an instant library/couthouse.
Helps secure city and starts culture count (library).

"Caesar" <caesar.of.rome@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> > "IFS" <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in
> >
> > > I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population,
> > > and I have about 5 armies in the field.
> > >
> > > I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are
> > > modern armour. Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in
> > > older armies, eg I have an army with infantry and a tank, I know
> > > thats seems silly, but I can't upgrade them.
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated,
> >
> > There is nothing you can do for older armies. If you have enough
> > production available, you could (should?) disband the "old" armies for
> > 100 shields each and then build new armies to replace them.
> >

> Surely you must build recycling plant where Military Ac. is. Won't that
> give you 50% back? Shouldn't take long to replace Army. Obsolete
> armies are expensive to keep. You are paying gpt for every unit in army
> and for army.

What's the recycling plant gonna do? Its' only purpose is to reduce
pollution from buildings. If you disband an army toward the production of
another one, you get 100 shields just as you would in any other city. I
prefer disbanding them in my corrupt cities where i'm trying to build police
stations.

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> What's the recycling plant gonna do? Its' only purpose is to reduce
> pollution from buildings. If you disband an army toward the production
of
> another one, you get 100 shields just as you would in any other city.
> prefer disbanding them in my corrupt cities where i'm trying to build
police
> stations.

For recycling plant my Civilopedia says "returns 25% of the sheild cost
when selling improvements in addition to the gold received". Of course
units aren't improvements. I thought that you had the sheild boost for
disbanding as well. It is so long since I built a recycling plant, I
don't have a sav file to look and see what happens.

> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >
> > What's the recycling plant gonna do? Its' only purpose is to reduce
> > pollution from buildings. If you disband an army toward the production
> of
> > another one, you get 100 shields just as you would in any other city.
> > prefer disbanding them in my corrupt cities where i'm trying to build
> police
> > stations.
> >

> For recycling plant my Civilopedia says "returns 25% of the sheild cost
> when selling improvements in addition to the gold received". Of course
> units aren't improvements. I thought that you had the sheild boost for
> disbanding as well. It is so long since I built a recycling plant, I
> don't have a sav file to look and see what happens.

When you disband a unit, you automatically get the 25% shield addition even
before recycling. You don't need the recycling plant to get shields from
selling improvements. The only requirement is the Recycling tech.

> Just out of curiosity, does anybody else keep an old army around for
> rather odd reasons? I tend to try to keep one Army around of whatever
> the UU is for that nation as a sort of Honor guard for the capital.
> Obviously this has no strategic value, and is probably viewed by most as
> rather asinine, but I rather like seeing an Egyptian army of 4 war
> chariots in the modern age just squatting in the capital. :)

I usually have some ancient units stationed in the city with Shakespeare's
Theatre :)

"Mike Garcia" <mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu> wrote in
message news:c9ebr9$jse$1@news01.cit.cornell.edu...
> In article <c9c6d5$hfc$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, "IFS"
<johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote:
> >I'm currently in a war for domination, got about 42% population, and I
have
> >about 5 armies in the field.
> >
> >I've got all techs bar Stealth at present so some armies are modern
armour.
> >Is it possible to upgrade armies or change units in older armies, eg I
have
> >an army with infantry and a tank, I know thats seems silly, but I can't
> >upgrade them.
>
> In general you cannot remove a unit from and Army nor can you upgrade
units
> within an Army.
>
> The only way I know of to remove a unit from an Army is to place the Army
in a
> plague city and get lucky. Units are destroyed at random when they are in
> city that has the plague. Sometimes a unit within the Army will get
destroyed
> and then you can load a new unit into that slot. Sometimes the Army is
> destroyed and you lose the whole thing. Sometimes nothing happens.
>
> >Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Oh well.
>

> Mike G

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

wrote in message <Xns94F9CC94B7A0Bkdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4>...

> But the number of armies you can have at any one time is limited.
> That's why I recommend replacing older armies with modern ones, if you
> have the production capacity to do so.

Better to use your armies to capture some more cities, increasing the number
of armies you can have. :)

--
Daran

We found another: 2^24036583-1 is prime <http://www.mersenne.org>

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:25:55 +0100 IFS <johnfs@hotmail.com.n0sp@m> wrote in
message <c9c6d5$hfc$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> eg I have an army with infantry and a tank...

It's best to add units with the same movement value. Your tank is crippled
by the infantry.

--
Daran

We found another: 2^24036583-1 is prime <http://www.mersenne.org>