Ok, I seem to recall in Civ 2, you could repair (terraform) land, making
deserts to plains and plains to grasslands, etc. I used to rebuild land
that way in Civ 2 if it was effected by global warming, or was naturally
that type of land from the start. In Civ 3, was that taken out? If not,
how do you do it? If it was removed, stupid stupid stupid.. Was one cool
thing to do.

"Doug" <dahjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok, I seem to recall in Civ 2, you could repair (terraform) land, making
> deserts to plains and plains to grasslands, etc. I used to rebuild land
> that way in Civ 2 if it was effected by global warming, or was naturally
> that type of land from the start. In Civ 3, was that taken out? If not,
> how do you do it? If it was removed, stupid stupid stupid.. Was one cool
> thing to do.

Can't do it in Civ3

On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:32:47 GMT, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Doug" <dahjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ok, I seem to recall in Civ 2, you could repair (terraform) land, making
>> deserts to plains and plains to grasslands, etc. I used to rebuild land
>> that way in Civ 2 if it was effected by global warming, or was naturally
>> that type of land from the start. In Civ 3, was that taken out? If not,
>> how do you do it? If it was removed, stupid stupid stupid.. Was one cool
>> thing to do.
>>

>Can't do it in Civ3

You can clear forests, jungles, or swamps. But on a large scale,
what sort of technology is needed in order to do the terraforming Civ2
allowed? Please find examples of mountain ranges leveled, or deserts
transformed to plains, and so on, in the real world ;-)

In Civ2, it was a great way to blow away the AI in productivity,
since it never quite got the hang of micromanaging terraforming. A
human can, though it has little use for anything other than milking
score, as serious terraforming simply took too much work.

If you like micromanaging, though, you could always try to see if
you could terraform everything to grassland or plains. ;-)

Around 5/30/2004 5:25 PM, Jeffery S. Jones proclaimed for posterity:
Please find examples of mountain ranges leveled, or deserts
> transformed to plains, and so on, in the real world ;-)

I cannot remember the name of the mountain, but the Romans actually
destroyed one once. Quite an incredible feat of engineering.

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general

Around 5/30/2004 11:50 PM, Brandon Supernaw proclaimed for posterity:

> Around 5/30/2004 5:25 PM, Jeffery S. Jones proclaimed for posterity:
> Please find examples of mountain ranges leveled, or deserts
>
>> transformed to plains, and so on, in the real world ;-)
>

> I cannot remember the name of the mountain, but the Romans actually
> destroyed one once. Quite an incredible feat of engineering.

Ah, found a brief description at
http://www.zealllc.com/commentary/goldfire.htm

In another spectacular achievement, which some consider on par with
the Pyramids and Great Wall of China as a wonder of the ancient world,
the Romans literally destroyed a mountain to get gold. In what is now
known as the Medulas in the Leon province of northwestern Spain, Roman
engineers pulled off a feat so audacious the results are still easily
visible to this day. The Romans found mountains full of gold, and they
needed vast amounts of gold to finance their ever campaigning legions,
which were continually busy terrorizing the world. In order to recover
the gold, the engineers dreamed up an ingenious plan to replace
conventional mining techniques, which were considered too slow. The
engineers began building dams high in a neighboring mountain range to
catch melting snow in huge reservoirs. They built mammoth canals, many
miles long, from the mountain reservoirs to the mountain containing the
gold ore. In the shadow of the gold filled mountain, on a broad, almost
flat valley, they dug a complex network of canals and catch basins.
Finally, the engineers laid out careful plans on how to burrow into the
gold bearing mountain, with slaves performing all the brutal physical
labor necessary to build the intricate network of tunnels. When the
project was finished, the primary mining tunnels covered an area of
almost 4 square miles, with many complex interlocking vertical levels.
The total canal system included over 60 miles of carefully constructed
waterways. Before the slaves were even out of the mine, the Romans gave
the order to seal the exit shafts. The great dams in the mountains were
then burst, and a deluge of water roared through the canals and into the
honeycombed mountain containing the gold. The intense hydraulic
pressure literally shattered the mountain in a matter of minutes, and
the whole monolithic chunk of earth and rock disappeared and washed into
the broad valley below full of canals and catch basins. Another group
of slaves painstakingly removed the dirt and rock debris from the catch
basins and recovered the valuable gold ore. The Romans were able to
recover an enormous amount of gold with relatively little labor. The
spectacle of the mountain imploding had to be one of the few things in
the ancient world that compared in fury to a small thermonuclear
explosion! The empires’ of antiquity entire existences revolved around
commodities.

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
-Thomas Jefferson

The ability to change land type has been drastically cut back in civ3. in 2,
you could change mountains into plains eventually. In 3, about the most
impressive thing you can do is turn jungle into plains.

"Doug" <dahjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok, I seem to recall in Civ 2, you could repair (terraform) land, making
> deserts to plains and plains to grasslands, etc. I used to rebuild land
> that way in Civ 2 if it was effected by global warming, or was naturally
> that type of land from the start. In Civ 3, was that taken out? If not,
> how do you do it? If it was removed, stupid stupid stupid.. Was one cool
> thing to do.

> The ability to change land type has been drastically cut back in civ3. in
2,
> you could change mountains into plains eventually. In 3, about the most
> impressive thing you can do is turn jungle into plains.

You could simply say that they cut out most sci-fi stuff. I miss fusion
power for example, which used to eliminate the threat of meltdown in a
nuclear power plant in Civ 2.