how do I create an army

Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a leader.
but i really dont know how to use my leader.

"Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a leader.
> but i really dont know how to use my leader.

Move your leader to the nearest city. If he has movement left, 2 action
buttons will appear at the bottom of the screen. One is 'create army', the
other, 'hurry production' only appears if you are not building a unit.

This applies for all leaders in pre-conquests versions and military great
leaders in conquests. A scientific great leader in conquests cannot create
an army.

In article <jnWwc.1490$zA.851@news01.roc.ny>, "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a leader.
>> but i really dont know how to use my leader.
>
>Move your leader to the nearest city. If he has movement left, 2 action
>buttons will appear at the bottom of the screen. One is 'create army', the
>other, 'hurry production' only appears if you are not building a unit.
>
>This applies for all leaders in pre-conquests versions and military great
>leaders in conquests. A scientific great leader in conquests cannot create
>an army.

Provided you have at least 4 cities. You can have one Army for every 4
cities. This is sometimes an issue early in the game when you have few
cities.

Mike G

"Mike Garcia" <mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu> wrote in
message news:ca203u$sq8$1@news01.cit.cornell.edu...
> In article <jnWwc.1490$zA.851@news01.roc.ny>, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

> >"Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> >> Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a leader.
> >> but i really dont know how to use my leader.
> >
> >Move your leader to the nearest city. If he has movement left, 2 action
> >buttons will appear at the bottom of the screen. One is 'create army',
the
> >other, 'hurry production' only appears if you are not building a unit.
> >
> >This applies for all leaders in pre-conquests versions and military great
> >leaders in conquests. A scientific great leader in conquests cannot
create
> >an army.
>
> Provided you have at least 4 cities. You can have one Army for every 4
> cities. This is sometimes an issue early in the game when you have few
> cities.
>

> Mike G

Make sure you've got a barracks in the city where you want to turn your
leader into an army. Otherwise you will only be able to hurry the
improvement (or in conquests only be able to hurry non-wonder improvements)

"Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a leader.
> but i really dont know how to use my leader.

All good posts on this thread as this was my question a few weeks back.
My offering here, once taking the advice of the other 3 posts on this
thread, is to put the Army, once created, into battle to win a victory as
fast as possible. Then you will be able to create
1)The small wonder, Hero Epic, which will increase your likelihood of elite
units yielding new leaders in addtional battles, and 2)the Military Academy
which allow you to build Armies in that city as you want.

"tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> > Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a
leader.
> > but i really dont know how to use my leader.
>
> All good posts on this thread as this was my question a few weeks
back.
> My offering here, once taking the advice of the other 3 posts on this
> thread, is to put the Army, once created, into battle to win a victory
as
> fast as possible. Then you will be able to create
> 1)The small wonder, Hero Epic, which will increase your likelihood of
elite
> units yielding new leaders in addtional battles, and 2)the Military
Academy
> which allow you to build Armies in that city as you want.

Leader must move to city to be converted to Army.

Military Academy is only available after researching Military Tradition.
An Army costs 400 Shields. You are allowed 1 Army for every four
towns/cities. For many, MA is built in city with FP. (But if you are
building armies in your best city, you are not building wonders.)
Depends which type of victory you are aiming for. Ha! C3C Armies are
very strong. The extra movement, and the chance to pillage makes an
Army a fantastic asset.

"Caesar" <caesar.of.rome@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom van Laarhoven" <laarhoven_tom@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> > > Can anybody tell my how i can create an army. I already have a
> leader.
> > > but i really dont know how to use my leader.
> >
> > All good posts on this thread as this was my question a few weeks
> back.
> > My offering here, once taking the advice of the other 3 posts on this
> > thread, is to put the Army, once created, into battle to win a victory
> as
> > fast as possible. Then you will be able to create
> > 1)The small wonder, Hero Epic, which will increase your likelihood of
> elite
> > units yielding new leaders in addtional battles, and 2)the Military
> Academy
> > which allow you to build Armies in that city as you want.
> >
> Leader must move to city to be converted to Army.
>
> Military Academy is only available after researching Military Tradition.
> An Army costs 400 Shields. You are allowed 1 Army for every four
> towns/cities. For many, MA is built in city with FP. (But if you are
> building armies in your best city, you are not building wonders.)
> Depends which type of victory you are aiming for. Ha! C3C Armies are
> very strong. The extra movement, and the chance to pillage makes an
> Army a fantastic asset.

That and the fact that the AI doesn't build them at all. If they fix that,
everyone will have to drop back a level... lol

In article <zXIzc.6060$fh4.2402@news02.roc.ny>, "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Caesar" <caesar.of.rome@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Military Academy is only available after researching Military Tradition.
>> An Army costs 400 Shields. You are allowed 1 Army for every four
>> towns/cities. For many, MA is built in city with FP. (But if you are
>> building armies in your best city, you are not building wonders.)
>> Depends which type of victory you are aiming for. Ha! C3C Armies are
>> very strong. The extra movement, and the chance to pillage makes an
>> Army a fantastic asset.
>
>That and the fact that the AI doesn't build them at all. If they fix that,
>everyone will have to drop back a level... lol

Actually the AI will build an Army, but not deliberately.

If you have modified the game (with the supplied editor) so the Military
Academy does not require a victorious Army, the AI will build it when it gets
Military Tradition. Next if the AI is building a Wonder in the city with the
Military Academy and some other civ completes the Wonder first, the AI will
switch production to something else such that the switch minimizes the number
of wasted shields. This something else can be an Army if the AI has invested
enough shields and there are no other Wonders available.

Rare, but it happens.

Mike G