Problems when starting up civ3

My civ3 locks up when I'm trying to launch it. It worked fine for a
while, but now I can't get anywhere. I re-installed it and had it
working for about a week, then the same thing happened again.

Any idea what can be conflicting? I don't get anywhere at all - once
I've clicked "play civilization", the PC freezes and I have to
reboot... :eek:(((

Lise

"Lise Rahbek Laursen" <cyberdude@net-point.dk> wrote in message
> My civ3 locks up when I'm trying to launch it. It worked fine for a
> while, but now I can't get anywhere. I re-installed it and had it
> working for about a week, then the same thing happened again.
>
> Any idea what can be conflicting? I don't get anywhere at all - once
> I've clicked "play civilization", the PC freezes and I have to
> reboot... :eek:(((

Free up some memory. Close down some progs before launching civ. Lots
of harddisk space is also required. Up to 400Mb

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:34:40 +0100, "Caesar"
<caesar.of.rome@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Free up some memory. Close down some progs before launching civ. Lots
>of harddisk space is also required. Up to 400Mb

I have plenty of free disk space (3GB) and no other programs running.

Other ideas?

"Cyberdude" <cyberdude@net-point.dk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:34:40 +0100, "Caesar"
> <caesar.of.rome@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

> >Free up some memory. Close down some progs before launching civ. Lots
> >of harddisk space is also required. Up to 400Mb
> >
> I have plenty of free disk space (3GB) and no other programs running.
>
> Other ideas?

Go thru the typical system maintenance stuff... scandisk or chkdsk, defrag,
clear old files etc.

Make sure you are clean of spyware and virii.

Swap file should be 600 MB... i have always interpreted the free disk space
requirement in the readme to refer to the swap file.

Run a directx diagnostic... Start >> Run >> dxdiag

You don't give any system specs. Knowing what your computer and OS system
are can help us help you.

More details on the way it acts when you say 'freezes' can help also.
Sometimes the screen may just be blank.

It's possible some system or program files got corrupted since it worked
after a reinstall for a short while.
I had one occassion where a civ3 file got corrupted on my xp system and
chkdsk replaced it but the filename had been shortened. Simply renaming it
to the correct name fixed it.

> > It freezes when launching the game. The hourglass and mouse pointer
> > stops and is frozen - I can no longer move it around, and ctrl + alt +
> > delete doesn't work either. After a little while I can hear that the
> > CD stops running as well. The screen doesn't go black or anything.
> >
> > And a funny thing - when I ran the directx diagnostic, it asked me if
> > it should bypass Direct3D because "there had been problems when it
> > last opened" - I said yes and it worked well. Then I tried again and
> > said no the the bypass and the computer froze....
>
> You should check to make sure you have the latest video driver for your
> card.

And even if the driver is okay, your video card could be malfunctioning. See
if you can find another video card, install it and try.

I had a GeForce3 card overheated and damaged something inside it... in
Windows/non-DirectX using software it is fine, but use any DirectX/3D
functions and it will crash. Now I'm very careful about the cooling and
temperature of my GeForceFX card and all other components :)

"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > It freezes when launching the game. The hourglass and mouse pointer
> > > stops and is frozen - I can no longer move it around, and ctrl + alt +
> > > delete doesn't work either. After a little while I can hear that the
> > > CD stops running as well. The screen doesn't go black or anything.
> > >
> > > And a funny thing - when I ran the directx diagnostic, it asked me if
> > > it should bypass Direct3D because "there had been problems when it
> > > last opened" - I said yes and it worked well. Then I tried again and
> > > said no the the bypass and the computer froze....
> >
> > You should check to make sure you have the latest video driver for your
> > card.
>
> And even if the driver is okay, your video card could be malfunctioning.
See
> if you can find another video card, install it and try.
>
> I had a GeForce3 card overheated and damaged something inside it... in
> Windows/non-DirectX using software it is fine, but use any DirectX/3D
> functions and it will crash. Now I'm very careful about the cooling and
> temperature of my GeForceFX card and all other components :)

My fan died on my GeForce4 so i installed an after market fan with a better
heatsink and a speed monitor.