Babylonian Attack

Not really a question, just something that happened to me the other day.
I was playing along nicely, had me about ten cities, it's about 400 BC or so
(slow start). The Babylonians come offering to share tech and I agree.
Hammurabi is "polite", so no problem, right? Well, a turn or two later, the
SOBs declare war on me, no provocation, nothing, just my advisor's suprised
face saying "The Babylonians have declared war on us!" BAM, Henderson is
razed, WA-BAM, Chesterfield falls, POW POW, Egestorf barely fends off an
attack. I had planned for a peaceful start, content to live with the
BAbylonians (and the Brits, who helped me against them) until I had advanced
armor, maybe 2000 years later, so it took some time to build up enough
swordsmen to take back my cities, destroy some of theirs and sign a peace
treaty. I am moving up my timetable to wipe the floor with them, though.

"DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Not really a question, just something that happened to me the other day.
> I was playing along nicely, had me about ten cities, it's about 400 BC or
so
> (slow start). The Babylonians come offering to share tech and I agree.
> Hammurabi is "polite", so no problem, right? Well, a turn or two later,
the
> SOBs declare war on me, no provocation, nothing, just my advisor's
suprised
> face saying "The Babylonians have declared war on us!" BAM, Henderson is
> razed, WA-BAM, Chesterfield falls, POW POW, Egestorf barely fends off an
> attack. I had planned for a peaceful start, content to live with the
> BAbylonians (and the Brits, who helped me against them) until I had
> armor, maybe 2000 years later, so it took some time to build up enough
> swordsmen to take back my cities, destroy some of theirs and sign a peace
> treaty. I am moving up my timetable to wipe the floor with them, though.

The ONLY time i know of when a civ won't sneak attack you is if they are
Gracious.

"DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in

> Not really a question, just something that happened to me the
> other day. I was playing along nicely, had me about ten cities,
> it's about 400 BC or so (slow start). The Babylonians come
> offering to share tech and I agree. Hammurabi is "polite", so no
> problem, right? Well, a turn or two later, the SOBs declare war on
> me, no provocation, nothing, just my advisor's suprised face
> saying "The Babylonians have declared war on us!" BAM, Henderson
> is razed, WA-BAM, Chesterfield falls, POW POW, Egestorf barely
> fends off an attack. I had planned for a peaceful start, content
> to live with the BAbylonians (and the Brits, who helped me against
> them) until I had advanced armor, maybe 2000 years later, so it
> took some time to build up enough swordsmen to take back my
> cities, destroy some of theirs and sign a peace treaty. I am
> moving up my timetable to wipe the floor with them, though.

Even a peaceful tribe needs a strong military to prevent this sort
of thing.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Not really a question, just something that happened to me the other
day.
> > I was playing along nicely, had me about ten cities, it's about 400
BC or
> so
> > (slow start). The Babylonians come offering to share tech and I
agree.
> > Hammurabi is "polite", so no problem, right? Well, a turn or two
later,
> the
> > SOBs declare war on me, no provocation, nothing, just my advisor's
> suprised
> > face saying "The Babylonians have declared war on us!" BAM,
Henderson is
> > razed, WA-BAM, Chesterfield falls, POW POW, Egestorf barely fends
off an
> > attack. I had planned for a peaceful start, content to live with the
> > BAbylonians (and the Brits, who helped me against them) until I had
> > armor, maybe 2000 years later, so it took some time to build up
enough
> > swordsmen to take back my cities, destroy some of theirs and sign a
peace
> > treaty. I am moving up my timetable to wipe the floor with them,
though.

> The ONLY time i know of when a civ won't sneak attack you is if they
are
> Gracious.

You are more vulnerable if your military advisor says you are weak.
Early in the game this can be the difference of just one or two units.
The Babylonian UU (Bowman)comes at the begining of the game. If the war
has triggered their Golden Age you will struggle for the next 20 turns.
But a golden age only occurs once....

Depending on difficulty level, guidance is to pay cash demands rather
than have them declare war. However, I don't believe this completely
avoids the possibility of a sneak attack.

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> "DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in

<snip>

> Even a peaceful tribe needs a strong military to prevent this sort
> of thing.

<snip>

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

In article <EeWxc.30811$2o2.1672292@twister.southeast.rr.com>, DreamSlave wrote:
> Not really a question, just something that happened to me the other day.
> I was playing along nicely, had me about ten cities, it's about 400 BC or so
> (slow start). The Babylonians come offering to share tech and I agree.
> Hammurabi is "polite", so no problem, right? Well, a turn or two later, the
> SOBs declare war on me, no provocation, nothing, just my advisor's suprised
> face saying "The Babylonians have declared war on us!"

The Babylonians have an agression level of 4 (out of 5), and are
consequently much more likely to sneak-attack you. If you really want a
peaceful game, choose low aggression civs.

In PTW, they are:
1 - India, France
2 - China, Iroquois, Carthage, Korea

> In PTW, they are:
> 1 - India, France
> 2 - China, Iroquois, Carthage, Korea

In what file is this information stored? I would like to find this type of
information on all civilizations.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:44:23 GMT, "CIV Gamer" <SPAMmagnet@ISP.Com>
wrote:

>> In PTW, they are:
>> 1 - India, France
>> 2 - China, Iroquois, Carthage, Korea
>
>In what file is this information stored? I would like to find this type of
>information on all civilizations.

Conquest and PTW come with this detail on all the new civs in the
manual. I am pretty sure you can find it on the fan site civfanatics.
There is a page in there somewhere that talks about how the ethnic
groups and aggression levels effect the AI attitude toward you.

I have been in unprovoked wars with all of these civs though so
there no guarantee. I was in a thousand year war with India one time
who at one time or another had bribed everyone to got to war with me.
They had tons of cash. I was playing as the Ottomans and my special
unit did could handle anything they brought forth.

"CIV Gamer" <SPAMmagnet@ISP.Com> wrote in message
> > In PTW, they are:
> > 1 - India, France
> > 2 - China, Iroquois, Carthage, Korea
>
> In what file is this information stored? I would like to find this type of
> information on all civilizations.

Open the .bic or .bix or .biq file with the appropriate editor that comes
with each game.

"director38" <nospam@reply.to.ng> wrote in message
> "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> > "DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in
> >
> <snip>
>
> > Even a peaceful tribe needs a strong military to prevent this
sort
> > of thing.
> >

> <snip>
>
> "Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

A topical Regan quote about Star Wars?

In article <bqrhc0dpkn3ti0nup9ojusu4qh49flsp3r@4ax.com>, P12 wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:44:23 GMT, "CIV Gamer" <SPAMmagnet@ISP.Com>
> wrote:
>
>>> In PTW, they are:
>>> 1 - India, France
>>> 2 - China, Iroquois, Carthage, Korea
>>
>>In what file is this information stored? I would like to find this type of
>>information on all civilizations.

<snip>

> I have been in unprovoked wars with all of these civs though so
> there no guarantee. I was in a thousand year war with India one time
> who at one time or another had bribed everyone to got to war with me.
> They had tons of cash.

Of course, you're right that there's no guarantee. It's been empirically
verified though that more aggressive civs are that much more likely to
demand tribute, declare war (when refused tribute, out of the blue or
after a failed espionage attempt).

--
Ambarish