Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Resource Questions

Tags:
  • Build
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets unit
I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess in
a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with Babylon.

More about : resource questions

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

"DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
news:BkWxc.30812$2o2.1672566@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am
building
> units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
> inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets
unit
> I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
> pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
> them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
> building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
> resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess
in
> a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with
Babylon.

That's not quite how it works. Different resources have a different chance
of disappearing each turn. Some don't disappear at all. The exact percentage
can be found in the editor. It only matters that it is hooked up to your
trade network, not how much you use it. They don't actually disappear, they
reappear somewhere in the world.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:08:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:02:09 GMT, "DreamSlave"
<tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
>units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
>inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets unit
>I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
>pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
>them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
>building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
>resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess in
>a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with Babylon.

You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
later. If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
road.

For a cheap attack unit like an archer you need to move in a few
defense units with them in a stack. When the stack is attacked the
best defense unit will defend. You also need to move in through hills
or jungles to get a defensive bonus. If the defense units survive
you can use them to defend the captured city. If you can't take the
city they can be used to blow out the terrain improvements. On the
other hand swordsmen can still take out calvary years later.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 10:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

In article <t9shc0l986ifresb2omk6ei8al3vi95u7e@4ax.com>, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:02:09 GMT, "DreamSlave"
><tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
>>units that need it?

No. As long as the resource is connected to your trade network there is a
chance that it will be "used up." When ever one resource is used up another
shows up ("is discovered") some where else on the map.


>You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
>later.

Not true. If you chopped down a Jungle that contains Rubber, the Rubber will
still be there when you obtain Replaceable Parts.

>If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
>hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
>road.

That is good advice.


Mike G
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 8:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:08:02 -0400, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:

>You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
>later. If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
>hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
>road.

That was supposed to say cannot instead of can.
!