Resource Questions

If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets unit
I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess in
a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with Babylon.
4 answers Last reply
More about resource questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "DreamSlave" <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    > If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am
    building
    > units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
    > inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets
    unit
    > I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
    > pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
    > them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
    > building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
    > resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess
    in
    > a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with
    Babylon.

    That's not quite how it works. Different resources have a different chance
    of disappearing each turn. Some don't disappear at all. The exact percentage
    can be found in the editor. It only matters that it is hooked up to your
    trade network, not how much you use it. They don't actually disappear, they
    reappear somewhere in the world.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:02:09 GMT, "DreamSlave"
    <tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

    >If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
    >units that need it? I am currently licking my wounds and preparing to
    >inflict some of my own on Babylon (See Babylonian Attack) and the bets unit
    >I can build right now is the Swordsman and archer (but archers are easy
    >pickings when under attack, really pathetic). I plan to build a slew of
    >them, but don't want to lose my iron for later in the game when I am
    >building rails. I read that each turn there is a one percent chance of a
    >resource being depleted, but are the odds higher if I use it up. I guess in
    >a realistic sense, it would, but hey, look what happened to me with Babylon.

    You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
    later. If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
    hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
    road.

    For a cheap attack unit like an archer you need to move in a few
    defense units with them in a stack. When the stack is attacked the
    best defense unit will defend. You also need to move in through hills
    or jungles to get a defensive bonus. If the defense units survive
    you can use them to defend the captured city. If you can't take the
    city they can be used to blow out the terrain improvements. On the
    other hand swordsmen can still take out calvary years later.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    In article <t9shc0l986ifresb2omk6ei8al3vi95u7e@4ax.com>, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:
    >On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:02:09 GMT, "DreamSlave"
    ><tkirsch@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If I have a specific resource, does it get used up quicker if I am building
    >>units that need it?

    No. As long as the resource is connected to your trade network there is a
    chance that it will be "used up." When ever one resource is used up another
    shows up ("is discovered") some where else on the map.

    >You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
    >later.

    Not true. If you chopped down a Jungle that contains Rubber, the Rubber will
    still be there when you obtain Replaceable Parts.

    >If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
    >hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
    >road.

    That is good advice.

    Mike G
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:08:02 -0400, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:

    >You can use them up or alter terrain to prevent the from appearing
    >later. If you have key resources like that in your territory doesn't
    >hurt to get a backup. Even a spearmen could come in and blow out the
    >road.

    That was supposed to say cannot instead of can.

Build Video Games