help regarding anti-aliasing...

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
just built my new computer with a radeon 9700pro. my question is. does anybody know how to switch through the different AA and aniscopic filtering options without having to leave a game??? you can choose manual or application preference but none of my games, (unreal tourey 2003, jedi outcast...) have options for either of these.. I really need a way to compare the visuals with and without these options so I can figure out what the best visual quality to performance ratio is... it would be just a pain in the ass to have to enter a game, take a screenshot... exit, change settings, enter game and repeat.... there has gotta be an easier way.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
The only game I have played so far with in-game AA is Asheron's Call 2. Haven't tried it yet coz my AIW R9700 Pro is back ordered. My friend with an R9700 Pro had problems when using AC2's in-game AA when ATI Control Panel has it enabled. I guess you just have to take screenshots. It doesn't take many anyway. Do AA 2x, 4x and 6x and 16x anistrophic filtering. In my opinion AA is not as noticeable as anistrophic filtering. AA is awesome on zooms though. At game resolutions of 1280x1024 jaggies are somewhat less noticeable unless you zoom in and examine carefully. In the visual reviews I've read 4x and 6x AA are more than good enough to satisfy your AA needs.

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
AA is very noticable. Unless your monitor sucks or perhaps you eyes are football shaped, AA is like a slap in the face. I can see a big difference with AA on or off even at 1600X1200. Now comparing 1x 4x and 6x might be difficult, but you shouldnt need a screenshot just to tell if its on at all.
But to answer the question you can only change AA in a few games, So you need to change it in the display properties/setting/advanced. Your card should be able to run any game at 4xaa 16xaf 1280x1024. Most games will run at higher settings, but that will run UT2003 and other new games fast aswell.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
usually though you won't notice AA so much specially on FPS games where you move a lot and concentrate on playing than looking at stuff. Except maybe for very slanted and long models. But with it off it's not so much a big deal. I do have AIW R9700 Pro and a Sony CPD-G410R, eyes are not football shaped. But yah having AA on is great!

Mowgly

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
If you've got a keyboard with a browser key normal it'll take you to desktop change the settings then go back into the game, and look at the difference