router, access point question

JG

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Ok here is what I have. I have a 10/100 4 PC wired network with 1 hub, 1
switch, 1 print server a router and a DSL modem. I would like to add a
wireless connection to use a laptop through out the house and to use with my
Clie37 pda.

My question is will a cable/DSL router give me the same results a an access
point or will running a wired and wireless router conflict with each other?

Thanks JG

"JG" <jg@jg.net> wrote in news:40e0b415_6@corp.newsgroups.com:

> Ok here is what I have. I have a 10/100 4 PC wired network with 1 hub,
> 1 switch, 1 print server a router and a DSL modem. I would like to add
> a wireless connection to use a laptop through out the house and to use
> with my Clie37 pda.
>
> My question is will a cable/DSL router give me the same results a an
> access point or will running a wired and wireless router conflict with
> each other?

If the routers are properly configured, wired and wireless routers will
work well together. You can search Google on how to connect two routers
together. The principles are the same when connecting two routers, as one
router will become a switch. You may want to configure the wireless
router to be a WAP/switch with all machines getting a DHCP IP from the
wired router.

Linksys has a good article on connecting two Linksys routers together.

Duane :)

"JG" <jg@jg.net> wrote in news:40e15965$1_6@corp.newsgroups.com:

> Thanks for your answer. I don't use DHCP for my IP's, I give all my
> machines static IP address. I don't think this would make any
> difference in your answer, but I'm never surprised anymore.

A router IP is a router IP DHCP assigned or using one of the router's
static IP's. It makes no difference in the functionality.

Duane :)

"JG" <jg@jg.net> wrote in news:40e1ab49_6@corp.newsgroups.com:

> I'm looking at a Netgeat WGR614 Wireless Router. Would it be possible
> to use this router for my wired and wireless network and retire my old
> router?

You can use a wireless router as the only gateway device. In case you
didn't know this, the router also has four 10/100 Mbps ports like your old
router. It's always best to have one computer that is a wired connection to
the router for configuration of the router.

Duane :)