Has anyone come across this mode of crash before? When my Civ is at a
reasonable size and into modern naval units, I have tried to direct one of
my ships to a point on the map that is off screen. As the direction pointer
hits the dark area, wham! It looks like an infinite loop is going on as I
have checked the system performance and the CPU is running at 98-99% I've
tried all sorts of application shutdowns with the Windows task manager
(WinXP), but the system is locked up and I have to power down.

Is this a bug? Are there any patches available?

vsyxx

"Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone come across this mode of crash before? When my Civ is at a
> reasonable size and into modern naval units, I have tried to direct one of
> my ships to a point on the map that is off screen. As the direction
pointer
> hits the dark area, wham! It looks like an infinite loop is going on as I
> have checked the system performance and the CPU is running at 98-99% I've
> tried all sorts of application shutdowns with the Windows task manager
> (WinXP), but the system is locked up and I have to power down.
>
> Is this a bug? Are there any patches available?

Which version of civ do you have?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:17:10 -0400, "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Has anyone come across this mode of crash before? When my Civ is at a
>reasonable size and into modern naval units, I have tried to direct one of
>my ships to a point on the map that is off screen. As the direction pointer
>hits the dark area, wham! It looks like an infinite loop is going on as I
>have checked the system performance and the CPU is running at 98-99% I've
>tried all sorts of application shutdowns with the Windows task manager
>(WinXP), but the system is locked up and I have to power down.
>
>Is this a bug? Are there any patches available?
>
>vsyxx

I haven't heard of it before. I would try a complete uninstall and
then re-install with the latest patches. Or perhaps something
happened to the saved game. Or perhaps you have a hardware problem.
I don't have XP but I have been playing Civ for a couple years now and
have never seen that.

Vincent

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004

"Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone come across this mode of crash before? When my Civ is at a
> reasonable size and into modern naval units, I have tried to direct one of
> my ships to a point on the map that is off screen. As the direction
pointer
> hits the dark area, wham! It looks like an infinite loop is going on as I
> have checked the system performance and the CPU is running at 98-99% I've
> tried all sorts of application shutdowns with the Windows task manager
> (WinXP), but the system is locked up and I have to power down.
>
> Is this a bug? Are there any patches available?
>
> vsyxx

Not sure if it is relavent, but for what it's worth.... All my
infinite-loop-like hangups went away (100%) after I added more memory. Was
running with 128MB, and I added 512MB more (also WinXP). That's more than
needed for civ3 (bought for something else), but it sure doesn't hurt. Make
sure to patch (to v1.29f) as well.

It may be a memory issue. The one it hangs on has 256 MB. I don't think it
has hung up on the one with 512 MB. Sure a lot more required than the base
specs! The other thing I've been doing is just plain old computer common
sense anyway. Save and save often. I also avoid trying to point units to
offscreen areas later in the game. It may also have something to do with
available video memory. I don't have an upscale card.

vsyxx

> It may be a memory issue. The one it hangs on has 256 MB. I
> don't think it has hung up on the one with 512 MB. Sure a lot
> more required than the base specs! The other thing I've been
> doing is just plain old computer common sense anyway. Save and
> save often. I also avoid trying to point units to offscreen areas
> later in the game. It may also have something to do with
> available video memory. I don't have an upscale card.

Do you have autosave turned on, it would seem to be appropriate if
you can't fix the actual crash problem.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA