Norton Firewall 2004 started blocking Messenger 6.2

I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without
any problems. Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2 from
signing in. It works fine when I disable the firewall.

I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's
"Program" list, but that has not helped either.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

I should add:

If I sign into Messenger (with Norton Firewalled disabled) and then
re-enable Firewall, I am booted off Messenger. It says:....You are being
signed out of Messenger because you have signed on at another location....
which obviously is not true.

"Matthew Wilson" <mwilson010@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without
>any problems. Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2
>from signing in. It works fine when I disable the firewall.
>
> I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's
> "Program" list, but that has not helped either.
>
> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Greetings Matthew,

Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which
can conflict with Messenger and cause Windows Messenger to load up in the background and
therefore is kicking you off MSN Messenger. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on
the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open
Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger
and click OK.

This *shouldn't* affect the actual connection in MSN Messenger with the firewall however
(really don't know what to suggest there).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

>I should add:
>
> If I sign into Messenger (with Norton Firewalled disabled) and then re-enable Firewall, I
> am booted off Messenger. It says:....You are being signed out of Messenger because you have
> signed on at another location.... which obviously is not true.
>

> "Matthew Wilson" <mwilson010@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without any problems.
>>Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2 from signing in. It works fine
>>when I disable the firewall.
>>
>> I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's "Program" list, but
>> that has not helped either.
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

TRENDING THREADS