Norton Firewall 2004 started blocking Messenger 6.2

I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without
any problems. Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2 from
signing in. It works fine when I disable the firewall.

I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's
"Program" list, but that has not helped either.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about norton firewall 2004 started blocking messenger

    I should add:

    If I sign into Messenger (with Norton Firewalled disabled) and then
    re-enable Firewall, I am booted off Messenger. It says:....You are being
    signed out of Messenger because you have signed on at another location....
    which obviously is not true.

    "Matthew Wilson" <mwilson010@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without
    >any problems. Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2
    >from signing in. It works fine when I disable the firewall.
    >
    > I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's
    > "Program" list, but that has not helped either.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

    Greetings Matthew,

    Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which
    can conflict with Messenger and cause Windows Messenger to load up in the background and
    therefore is kicking you off MSN Messenger. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on
    the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open
    Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger
    and click OK.

    This *shouldn't* affect the actual connection in MSN Messenger with the firewall however
    (really don't know what to suggest there).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    >I should add:
    >
    > If I sign into Messenger (with Norton Firewalled disabled) and then re-enable Firewall, I
    > am booted off Messenger. It says:....You are being signed out of Messenger because you have
    > signed on at another location.... which obviously is not true.
    >

    > "Matthew Wilson" <mwilson010@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>I have used both MSN Messenger and Norton Firewall for over a year without any problems.
    >>Recently, the Firewall has started blocking Messenger 6.2 from signing in. It works fine
    >>when I disable the firewall.
    >>
    >> I even deleted all reference to MSN Messenger from Norton Firewall's "Program" list, but
    >> that has not helped either.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Firewalls Messenger Norton MSN Messenger Windows XP