  • Controller
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2004 5:40:53 PM

Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most ergonomic
device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that be
used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the game.
Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my drift?

vsyxx

More about : alternate game controllers

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:34:45 PM

"Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
> mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most
ergonomic
> device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that
be
> used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the
game.
> Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
> prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my
drift?

Keyboard?
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 6:17:02 AM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:40:53 -0400, "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
>mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most ergonomic
>device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that be
>used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the game.
>Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
>prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my drift?
>
>vsyxx

There's something called a trackball, but they function more or less
the same as a mouse? I have seen nothing regarding joystick or
gamepad compatability and no options for one.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 5:26:04 PM

> Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
> mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most
ergonomic
> device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that
be
> used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the
game.
> Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
> prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my
drift?

The MS game controller should have a controller application... in which you
can configure it to emulate your mouse and keyboard (e.g. the D-pad moves
the mouse, and the buttons becomes left and right click, enter, Ctrl-E,
etc.)

But since Civ uses a lot of buttons, and using the D-pad as mouse is
tiresome - slow, difficult to control (YMMV) - I think your best choice is
your keyboard.
!