Alternate Game Controllers

Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most ergonomic
device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that be
used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the game.
Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my drift?

vsyxx
3 answers Last reply
More about alternate game controllers
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
    > mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most
    ergonomic
    > device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that
    be
    > used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the
    game.
    > Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
    > prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my
    drift?

    Keyboard?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:40:53 -0400, "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
    >mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most ergonomic
    >device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that be
    >used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the game.
    >Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
    >prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my drift?
    >
    >vsyxx

    There's something called a trackball, but they function more or less
    the same as a mouse? I have seen nothing regarding joystick or
    gamepad compatability and no options for one.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > Is there a different game controller one can use for Civ other than the
    > mouse? I find over prolonged play that the mouse is not the most
    ergonomic
    > device, even my ergonomic mouse! I have an MS game controller, can that
    be
    > used? I would just like something more in tune with the spirit of the
    game.
    > Using a mouse to point a work to a pollution square is fine, but I would
    > prefer something better for moving a tank or battleship. You get my
    drift?

    The MS game controller should have a controller application... in which you
    can configure it to emulate your mouse and keyboard (e.g. the D-pad moves
    the mouse, and the buttons becomes left and right click, enter, Ctrl-E,
    etc.)

    But since Civ uses a lot of buttons, and using the D-pad as mouse is
    tiresome - slow, difficult to control (YMMV) - I think your best choice is
    your keyboard.

Games Mice Controller Video Games