Conquest/PTW Question

I still have the vanilla-version of CivIII, but I saw the Conquest/PTW
Expansion pack in the store yesterday. The box mentioned new Civ's, units,
Wonders and improvements. If I'm playing just a regular CivIII game with the
expansion pack installed, can I still use the new units, etc. or are they
only available in multi-player and/or scenario play?

Around 7/3/2004 4:47 AM, John Kerry proclaimed for posterity:
> I still have the vanilla-version of CivIII, but I saw the Conquest/PTW
> Expansion pack in the store yesterday. The box mentioned new Civ's, units,
> Wonders and improvements. If I'm playing just a regular CivIII game with the
> expansion pack installed, can I still use the new units, etc. or are they
> only available in multi-player and/or scenario play?

Some units are added for the regular game, others are scenario specific.

One of the best additions, in my opinion, is the medieval infantry >
guerilla upgrade path for swordsmen. Medieval infantry are 4.2.1 and
come in with...er...feudalism I think. Guerillas are 6.6.1 and come in
with Replaceable Parts along with Infantry, but Guerillas don't require
any resources.

Some other units:
AEGIS Cruiser: Robotics
Flak and Mobile SAM: Flight and Rocketry respectively
Modern Paratrooper: Robotics
Trebuchet: Engineering

I am sure I missed a few of the new units available to the normal game,
but I honestly cannot remember just what was available in the vanilla
version. Also, I didn't include any of the unique units available with
the new civilizations. OF those, I personally think the Berserker or
Gallic Swordsman are the best.

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:47:16 GMT, "John Kerry" <johnkerry@aol.com>
wrote:

>I still have the vanilla-version of CivIII, but I saw the Conquest/PTW
>Expansion pack in the store yesterday. The box mentioned new Civ's, units,
>Wonders and improvements. If I'm playing just a regular CivIII game with the
>expansion pack installed, can I still use the new units, etc. or are they
>only available in multi-player and/or scenario play?

The Conquests scenarios are very unique from what is termed the Epic
game. Yet many of the civs and units will appear in the Epic game.
There are 15 new civs you can play in the Epic game bringing the total
number to 31. Each has their own ne unique unit and character traits.
Conquest adjusted some of the original civ character traits when it
added a couple of new ones.

"P12" <nomail@all.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:47:16 GMT, "John Kerry" <johnkerry@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I still have the vanilla-version of CivIII, but I saw the Conquest/PTW
> >Expansion pack in the store yesterday. The box mentioned new Civ's,
units,
> >Wonders and improvements. If I'm playing just a regular CivIII game with
the
> >expansion pack installed, can I still use the new units, etc. or are they
> >only available in multi-player and/or scenario play?
>
> The Conquests scenarios are very unique from what is termed the Epic
> game. Yet many of the civs and units will appear in the Epic game.
> There are 15 new civs you can play in the Epic game bringing the total
> number to 31. Each has their own ne unique unit and character traits.
> Conquest adjusted some of the original civ character traits when it
> added a couple of new ones.
>
> Thx for the response. Civ is finally getting to where I wnated it to be.
Some years ago after CivII, someone on Apolyton asked people to chime in for
new ideas for the next game and I wnated to have about, oh, a hundred or so
opponents. We have over a hundred nations on this planet, why not? <G>
I'll have to make theinvestment for his one. SOunds like a goo one.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 09:22:49 GMT, "John Kerry" <johnkerry@aol.com>
wrote:

>> The Conquests scenarios are very unique from what is termed the Epic
>> game. Yet many of the civs and units will appear in the Epic game.
>> There are 15 new civs you can play in the Epic game bringing the total
>> number to 31. Each has their own ne unique unit and character traits.
>> Conquest adjusted some of the original civ character traits when it
>> added a couple of new ones.
>>
> Thx for the response. Civ is finally getting to where I wnated it to be.
>Some years ago after CivII, someone on Apolyton asked people to chime in for
>new ideas for the next game and I wnated to have about, oh, a hundred or so
>opponents. We have over a hundred nations on this planet, why not? <G>
>I'll have to make theinvestment for his one. SOunds like a goo one.

They do limit how many you can play at once. The conquest I just
finished had 17 civs in it. The limit is based on the map size you
choose for the Epic game. I am not sure but I think scenerios can
have a different limit. All of the Conquest scenerios tend to give
you units and cities to start out with to make things move along a
little quicker.

Getting more civs is the main reason I bought PTW.

In alt.games.civ3 on Wed, 7 Jul 2004, P12 wrote :

>>Some years ago after CivII, someone on Apolyton asked people to chime in for
>>new ideas for the next game and I wnated to have about, oh, a hundred or so
>>opponents. We have over a hundred nations on this planet, why not? <G>
>>I'll have to make theinvestment for his one. SOunds like a goo one.
>
>They do limit how many you can play at once. The conquest I just
>finished had 17 civs in it. The limit is based on the map size you
>choose for the Epic game.

How long would each turn take if there were 100 civilizations!
--
Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:49:20 +0100, Paul Hyett
<pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote:

>In alt.games.civ3 on Wed, 7 Jul 2004, P12 wrote :
>
>>>Some years ago after CivII, someone on Apolyton asked people to chime in for
>>>new ideas for the next game and I wnated to have about, oh, a hundred or so
>>>opponents. We have over a hundred nations on this planet, why not? <G>
>>>I'll have to make theinvestment for his one. SOunds like a goo one.
>>
>>They do limit how many you can play at once. The conquest I just
>>finished had 17 civs in it. The limit is based on the map size you
>>choose for the Epic game.
>
>How long would each turn take if there were 100 civilizations!

Tiny civs don't slow things down much. On the maps with 18+ civs,
the game will go slow not due to the number of players, but from the
total number of units possible on huge maps. All the moves slow
things down. Same number of players on a smaller map will be no worse
than just a few.

Diplomacy does get complex, that is a hassle with more than 16 civs
on a map.

Paul Hyett <pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote in

>>They do limit how many you can play at once. The conquest I just
>>finished had 17 civs in it. The limit is based on the map size you
>>choose for the Epic game.
>
> How long would each turn take if there were 100 civilizations!

Don't ask! I just finished a regent C3 vanilla huge map with 16 civs on an
athlon xp2400 512 mb ram 128 mb video ram and it was taking up to three
minutes per move late on in the game. I was chewing the desk.

--
Joe Soap

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:49:20 +0100, Paul Hyett
<pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote:

>>They do limit how many you can play at once. The conquest I just
>>finished had 17 civs in it. The limit is based on the map size you
>>choose for the Epic game.
>
>How long would each turn take if there were 100 civilizations!

Some people have more problems with time between turns than others. I
found the game much slower when I use worker automation with nothing
left for them too do. I suspect a 100 civs would quickly dwindle in
number as war broke out.