Clearing Forest to obtain shields

Firecrack

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

What are the rules to gain shield from clearing forest ?

More exactely :

1. Can we use workers to plant forest and then clear it to gain
shield, again and again on the same tile?
2. Does it work on tundra ?
3. Can we accelerate production of a wonder or small wonder by this
manner ?
4. Does corruption affect the 10 shields gained ?

Thank you.

On 5 Jul 2004 06:38:37 -0700, david_guerin_1@hotmail.com (Firecrack)
wrote:

>What are the rules to gain shield from clearing forest ?
>
>More exactely :
>
>1. Can we use workers to plant forest and then clear it to gain
>shield, again and again on the same tile?

Not unless you are running a prepatch original Civ3, which had this
"bug". Each square may be cleared of forest once per game only. If
the square started with forest, clearing that counts -- you can't get
any shields from the next one you plant. If it had no forest, you may
plant and clear it once for the shields.

>2. Does it work on tundra ?

Yes!

>3. Can we accelerate production of a wonder or small wonder by this
>manner ?

No -- any method of accelerating wonders, small wonder, and palace
other than a leader will not work. If you are building one, the
shields will be wasted. If you use any acceleration -- forest
clearing, unit disbanding, or cash/population rushing -- on the
current build, you no longer can change to a wonder in that city until
something permitted is completed.

>4. Does corruption affect the 10 shields gained ?

No! That is the great deal of the forest clearing. You should
clear all forests around permanently high corruption cities, then
plant and clear new ones (in any originally non-forest squares) as a
way of cheaply rushing new builds there.

In article <m3nie0pba265ppb8601qek7v30u6l1o11l@4ax.com>, Jeffery S Jones wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2004 06:38:37 -0700, david_guerin_1@hotmail.com (Firecrack)
> wrote:
>
>>What are the rules to gain shield from clearing forest ?

<snip>

>>2. Does it work on tundra ?
>
> Yes!

Note also that pre-railroad, the most productive tundra square is a
forested one. Probably the most optimal strategy for a tundra city is to
plant forests on all empty tundra squares (after roading, of course),
clear them pre-railroad to provide a burst of productivity for your
city, and them mine and railroad them, after which the city will be back
to its pre-clearing potential.