8400 - Choppy Sound - Don't Call Dell

Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.

So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
drivers we finally broke down and called India.

Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.

I'm sure many of you know a lot more than I do but I'm a retired CIO
of 25 years (not that this qualifies me as a technical person) but I
can take care of things.

Well, that all changed Tuesday when we called about a choppy sound and
erratic mouse complaint. In the space of 2 hours (after a 45 minute on
hold wait) India took the machine from having an irritating but minor
problem to one where the machine had a BSOD part way through the boot
sequence.

And the tech & his manager were telling me it was MY fault it
happened. 2 hours into the call they discovered the machine had 2 hard
drives and that the Dell installed hard drive was now the second drive
on the machine. Once they discovered this they said that I would be
transferred to the India Help Line, for which I would have to pay. I
said "because yout have caused a BSOD on a machine that started with a
minor problem I now have to pay to fix a problem that YOU caused?"

While arguing with them I was able to stop the auto reboot and get the
BSOD message that the Boot.ini file had been damaged. I fixed that,
adios'ed the Indians and came away with the very clear impression that
Dell support has taken a BAD turn. I used to be able to talk to techs
who really knew their stuff. Now I get people who read from
troubleshooting guides and ask for answers.

The manager said "If we'd know you had 2 hard drives we would not have
diagnosed your machine because our techs aren't trained on that". I
said "if it's so important why don't you ask when you first take the
call?" He said "Dell sells 10,000 machnies a day and we have to have
efficient support". I said "Thanks". Have someone from Dell who cares
call me tomorrow (yesterday). Haven't received any calls but I'm now
back where I started with a minor choppy sound and erratic mouse
problem. But it bothers me much less now than it did before.

John
35 answers Last reply
More about 8400 choppy sound call dell

    Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    hatred of Dell or India?

    And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    against Dell or against India?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
    > experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.
    >
    > So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
    > spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
    > drivers we finally broke down and called India.
    >
    > Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
    > 1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
    > ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
    > tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.
    >
    > I'm sure many of you know a lot more than I do but I'm a retired CIO
    > of 25 years (not that this qualifies me as a technical person) but I
    > can take care of things.
    >
    > Well, that all changed Tuesday when we called about a choppy sound and
    > erratic mouse complaint. In the space of 2 hours (after a 45 minute on
    > hold wait) India took the machine from having an irritating but minor
    > problem to one where the machine had a BSOD part way through the boot
    > sequence.
    >
    > And the tech & his manager were telling me it was MY fault it
    > happened. 2 hours into the call they discovered the machine had 2 hard
    > drives and that the Dell installed hard drive was now the second drive
    > on the machine. Once they discovered this they said that I would be
    > transferred to the India Help Line, for which I would have to pay. I
    > said "because yout have caused a BSOD on a machine that started with a
    > minor problem I now have to pay to fix a problem that YOU caused?"
    >
    > While arguing with them I was able to stop the auto reboot and get the
    > BSOD message that the Boot.ini file had been damaged. I fixed that,
    > adios'ed the Indians and came away with the very clear impression that
    > Dell support has taken a BAD turn. I used to be able to talk to techs
    > who really knew their stuff. Now I get people who read from
    > troubleshooting guides and ask for answers.
    >
    > The manager said "If we'd know you had 2 hard drives we would not have
    > diagnosed your machine because our techs aren't trained on that". I
    > said "if it's so important why don't you ask when you first take the
    > call?" He said "Dell sells 10,000 machnies a day and we have to have
    > efficient support". I said "Thanks". Have someone from Dell who cares
    > call me tomorrow (yesterday). Haven't received any calls but I'm now
    > back where I started with a minor choppy sound and erratic mouse
    > problem. But it bothers me much less now than it did before.
    >
    > John

    <major snippage>

    " But it bothers me much less now than it did before."

    > John

    LOL Not to make light of your problem, but that made me chuckle.

    If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    of the dialog:

    Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    side?"

    John: "right side from the front or the back?"

    Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"

    John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    talking power connectors or interface wires?"

    Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."

    or...

    Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    monitor say?"

    John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"

    Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"

    Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"

    John: "It says keyboard error"

    Tech: "you're tapping too fast"

    John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    to a boot menu I can do that..."

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:26:02 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    ><major snippage>
    >
    >" But it bothers me much less now than it did before."
    >>
    >> John
    >
    >LOL Not to make light of your problem, but that made me chuckle.

    I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support.

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >hatred of Dell or India?
    >
    >And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    >nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    >the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >against Dell or against India?

    So Ted,

    "unauthorized changes..."

    C'mon now. Do you seriously think people buy 8400's to run them
    exactly as is.?

    "My agenda.?? What're, you kidding?

    My agenda is to get my machine running right.

    wrote:

    >Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >hatred of Dell or India?
    >
    >And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    >nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    >the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >against Dell or against India?

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
    > experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.
    >
    > So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
    > spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
    > drivers we finally broke down and called India.
    >
    > Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
    > 1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
    > ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
    > tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.

    <snip>

    Just out of curiousity (and apologies in advance if I missed it scanning
    your post), did the problem exist on the original hard drive, or did it seem
    to crop up after the 2nd drive was added?

    Knowing this could be helpful in determining if the problem is hw or sw
    related.....

    Stew

    nospam wrote:
    >I consider myself a "regular guy" too even though I was a CIO.
    The reason you are getting attitude is your bringing up
    that you were a CIO. It really doen't make any difference
    to your problem/solution at all...just sounds like bragging.
    Most CIOs would pay someone to fix their computer problems.
    If you want help in a forum like this it is usually best to remain
    a humble as possible and give as much information about the
    problem as possible.
    Also,,,your problem could be hardware and you
    could try swapping out to another sound card and mouse.
    It could also be the motherboard where you would need your warranty.
    The one SURE way to see if it is software would be a clean
    windows install (use a different drive if you want to keep the original

    the same).
    ALWAY ALWAYS deal with tech support with companies like
    Dell through EMAIL. This has been said MANY times
    here. I would NEVER sit on hold to wait for someone on the phone.
    Best wishes on resolving your problem and let us know
    when you have it figured out.
    Dave

    Hi Stew,

    I changed the hard drives immediately upon receicing the machine.
    Installed a WD Raptor as drive 0 and moved the Maxtor 250 to the drive
    2 position.

    The problem began to occur about 4 months later. No new hardware or
    software added around that time.

    Thanks,
    John

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:22:41 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
    >> experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.
    >>
    >> So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
    >> spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
    >> drivers we finally broke down and called India.
    >>
    >> Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
    >> 1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
    >> ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
    >> tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >

    >Just out of curiousity (and apologies in advance if I missed it scanning
    >your post), did the problem exist on the original hard drive, or did it seem
    >to crop up after the 2nd drive was added?
    >
    >Knowing this could be helpful in determining if the problem is hw or sw
    >related.....
    >
    >Stew

    "I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support."

    Then you must be filled with hate, because lousy tech support is everywhere. Do you post your rants in other newsgroups?

    Ted Zieglar

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:nc1ag194r1r07mh4bbloo1cskq119us0lk@4ax.com...

    > I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support.
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>
    >>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    >>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    >>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>against Dell or against India?

    No Ted... I don't rant...or post in any other newsgroups..

    Did you bother to read my note or did you jsut see the part about Dell
    & India?

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:36:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support."
    >
    >Then you must be filled with hate, because lousy tech support is everywhere. Do you post your rants in other newsgroups?
    >
    >Ted Zieglar
    >

    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:nc1ag194r1r07mh4bbloo1cskq119us0lk@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>>
    >>>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    >>>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    >>>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>>against Dell or against India?

    Upon further reflection yes...I'm filled with hate..... for lousy tech
    support....no matter where it comes from.

    wrote:

    >"I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support."
    >
    >Then you must be filled with hate, because lousy tech support is everywhere. Do you post your rants in other newsgroups?
    >
    >Ted Zieglar
    >

    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:nc1ag194r1r07mh4bbloo1cskq119us0lk@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>>
    >>>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably has
    >>>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes to
    >>>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>>against Dell or against India?

    In that case, I would suggest you get over it. Because lousy tech support is here to stay. That's why I use the internet (including this newsgroup) when I need a question answered. It works well for me, and I'm not a CIO. Just a regular guy who's learned how to work around the many annoyances and inconveniences of life, which is one reason why my blood pressure is low.

    Ted Zieglar

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:0d7ag115nfrcegb6jcefvk4068m7kcq81q@4ax.com...

    > Upon further reflection yes...I'm filled with hate..... for lousy tech
    > support....no matter where it comes from.
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:36:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support."
    >>
    >>Then you must be filled with hate, because lousy tech support is everywhere. Do you post your rants in other newsgroups?
    >>
    >>Ted Zieglar
    >>

    >>"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:nc1ag194r1r07mh4bbloo1cskq119us0lk@4ax.com...
    >>>
    >>> I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support.

    Did you run the hardware diags that came with your Dell? If there are no
    hardware problems detected, you are pretty much on your own anymore. Dell
    will help with the installation and configuration of the OS and factory
    installed software during the warranty period but not much else.

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
    > experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.
    >
    > So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
    > spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
    > drivers we finally broke down and called India.
    >
    > Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
    > 1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
    > ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
    > tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.
    >
    > I'm sure many of you know a lot more than I do but I'm a retired CIO
    > of 25 years (not that this qualifies me as a technical person) but I
    > can take care of things.
    >
    > Well, that all changed Tuesday when we called about a choppy sound and
    > erratic mouse complaint. In the space of 2 hours (after a 45 minute on
    > hold wait) India took the machine from having an irritating but minor
    > problem to one where the machine had a BSOD part way through the boot
    > sequence.
    >
    > And the tech & his manager were telling me it was MY fault it
    > happened. 2 hours into the call they discovered the machine had 2 hard
    > drives and that the Dell installed hard drive was now the second drive
    > on the machine. Once they discovered this they said that I would be
    > transferred to the India Help Line, for which I would have to pay. I
    > said "because yout have caused a BSOD on a machine that started with a
    > minor problem I now have to pay to fix a problem that YOU caused?"
    >
    > While arguing with them I was able to stop the auto reboot and get the
    > BSOD message that the Boot.ini file had been damaged. I fixed that,
    > adios'ed the Indians and came away with the very clear impression that
    > Dell support has taken a BAD turn. I used to be able to talk to techs
    > who really knew their stuff. Now I get people who read from
    > troubleshooting guides and ask for answers.
    >
    > The manager said "If we'd know you had 2 hard drives we would not have
    > diagnosed your machine because our techs aren't trained on that". I
    > said "if it's so important why don't you ask when you first take the
    > call?" He said "Dell sells 10,000 machnies a day and we have to have
    > efficient support". I said "Thanks". Have someone from Dell who cares
    > call me tomorrow (yesterday). Haven't received any calls but I'm now
    > back where I started with a minor choppy sound and erratic mouse
    > problem. But it bothers me much less now than it did before.
    >
    > John

    Yes.. ran diags clean but thought there might be some guidance.

    > Hi Stew,
    >
    > I changed the hard drives immediately upon receicing the machine.
    > Installed a WD Raptor as drive 0 and moved the Maxtor 250 to the drive
    > 2 position.
    >
    > The problem began to occur about 4 months later. No new hardware or
    > software added around that time.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Fair enough. Are you using the integrated sound or a soundblaster PCI card?

    Also, what's on each drive and do you have one you can "spare" for a test
    clean install?

    Stew

    I don't view this newsgroup as a place to blow my blood pressure but,
    instead, a place whre like-minded souls can assist each other.

    I consider myself a "regular guy" too even though I was a CIO.

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:39:39 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In that case, I would suggest you get over it. Because lousy tech support is here to stay. That's why I use the internet (including this newsgroup) when I need a question answered. It works well for me, and I'm not a CIO. Just a regular guy who's learned how to work around the many annoyances and inconveniences of life, which is one reason why my blood pressure is low.
    >
    >Ted Zieglar
    >
    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message news:0d7ag115nfrcegb6jcefvk4068m7kcq81q@4ax.com...
    >>

    >> Upon further reflection yes...I'm filled with hate..... for lousy tech
    >> support....no matter where it comes from.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:36:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"I don't hate Dell OR India. I hate lousy tech support."
    >>>
    >>>Then you must be filled with hate, because lousy tech support is everywhere. Do you post your rants in other newsgroups?
    >>>
    >>>Ted Zieglar

    If you have a spare sound card lying around then you could try installing
    that, if the sound is ok then you know its the onboard sound card thats at
    fault , not If you have left yor machine as it was and not reinstalled a non
    Dell copy of windows then they will help you BUT if its your own O/S then
    they will hang you out to dry (its in the Eula T+Cs )

    ~One thing you could try IF you have reformatted the HD and installed your
    own O/s make sure you have installed the chipset drivers

> [...]
    >>> BSOD message that the Boot.ini file had been damaged. I fixed that,
    >>> adios'ed the Indians and came away with the very clear impression that
    >>> Dell support has taken a BAD turn. I used to be able to talk to techs
    >>> who really knew their stuff. Now I get people who read from
    >>> troubleshooting guides and ask for answers.
    >>>
    >>> The manager said "If we'd know you had 2 hard drives we would not have
    >>> diagnosed your machine because our techs aren't trained on that". I
    >>> said "if it's so important why don't you ask when you first take the
    >>> call?" He said "Dell sells 10,000 machnies a day and we have to have
    >>> efficient support". I said "Thanks". Have someone from Dell who cares
    >>> call me tomorrow (yesterday). Haven't received any calls but I'm now
    >>> back where I started with a minor choppy sound and erratic mouse
    >>> problem. But it bothers me much less now than it did before.

    The poijnt of mentioning the CIO business was to indicate that I had
    been around technology for many years...as I pointed out "that didn't
    make me a technology expert"...

    I had considered hardware but I've got a room full of
    hardware...that's why I was asaking for help...looking for a place to
    start.

    Before I start indicriminantly swapping parts out I was looking for
    some advice on where to start. I realize there are people cruising
    through this group looking to bash anyone with a disenting view but
    I'll take the chance. As it is...I can still get help even if I must
    sift through the innane remarks.

    jrcat7@(nospam)mindspring.com wrote in

    > If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    > of the dialog:
    >
    > Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    > side?"
    >
    > John: "right side from the front or the back?"
    >
    > Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    > plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"
    >
    > John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    > talking power connectors or interface wires?"
    >
    > Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."
    >

    > or...
    >
    > Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    > monitor say?"
    >
    > John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"
    >
    > Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"
    >
    > Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"
    >
    > John: "It says keyboard error"
    >
    > Tech: "you're tapping too fast"
    >
    > John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    > to a boot menu I can do that..."

    Reminds me of an online chat I once had with Comcast:

    --------
    Comcast: Hello, my name is Rich. Sorry for any inconvenience you may be
    experiencing. How may I help you?

    Me: The mail server keeps rejecting my password.

    Comcast: Can you connect to the internet?
    --------

    Anyway, is the choppy sound only with CDs and DVDs? If so, perhaps that
    drive has reverted back to PIO mode.

    Assuming you're running XP, I'd also cross-post to the public microsoft
    newsgroups with your specifics. I'd try:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    Please let us know the fix.

    Sincerely,
    Bruce

    I'm just curious. Have you made sure that both hard drives are set to AUTO?
    If one of the drives is still off, it will work, but in PIO mode.
    Ironically, the slow throughput of the drive, if it is regularly accessed,
    could cause.

    choppy sound.

    Tom
    > So Ted,
    >

    > "unauthorized changes..."
    >
    > C'mon now. Do you seriously think people buy 8400's to run them
    > exactly as is.?
    >
    > "My agenda.?? What're, you kidding?
    >
    > My agenda is to get my machine running right.
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>
    >>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably
    >>has
    >>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes
    >>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>against Dell or against India?

    Hi Tom,

    Yes...I checked that.

    Drive 0 is a WD Raptor 74 gig SATA and
    Drive 2 is the factory WD 250 gig STAT.

    Thanks,
    John

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:43:54 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm just curious. Have you made sure that both hard drives are set to AUTO?
    >If one of the drives is still off, it will work, but in PIO mode.
    >Ironically, the slow throughput of the drive, if it is regularly accessed,
    >could cause.
    >
    >choppy sound.
    >
    >Tom
    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> So Ted,
    >>

    >> "unauthorized changes..."
    >>
    >> C'mon now. Do you seriously think people buy 8400's to run them
    >> exactly as is.?
    >>
    >> "My agenda.?? What're, you kidding?
    >>
    >> My agenda is to get my machine running right.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>>
    >>>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably
    >>>has
    >>>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes
    >>>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>>against Dell or against India?

    Sorry,

    Second drive is a Maxtor 250 Factory install, not a WD.

    wrote:

    >I'm just curious. Have you made sure that both hard drives are set to AUTO?
    >If one of the drives is still off, it will work, but in PIO mode.
    >Ironically, the slow throughput of the drive, if it is regularly accessed,
    >could cause.
    >
    >choppy sound.
    >
    >Tom
    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> So Ted,
    >>

    >> "unauthorized changes..."
    >>
    >> C'mon now. Do you seriously think people buy 8400's to run them
    >> exactly as is.?
    >>
    >> "My agenda.?? What're, you kidding?
    >>
    >> My agenda is to get my machine running right.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:00:18 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your story is an illustration not of Dell and not of India but of the
    >>>general state of tech support in all industries everywhere in the world
    >>>where tech support is provided. Your experience could just as easily have
    >>>happened with Compaq or Toshiba or in Canada or the Philipines. Indeed, it
    >>>could just as easily have happened with your car mechanic or the clerk at
    >>>the local department to which you are trying to return a purchase. Are you
    >>>naive to this, or are you simply using this as an opportunity to show your
    >>>hatred of Dell or India?
    >>>
    >>>And while it's almost certainly true that your second hard disk probably
    >>>has
    >>>nothing to do with choppy sound -- or should I say that I myself don't see
    >>>what it has to do with choppy sound -- the fact remains that any product
    >>>that you buy from any company is only warranted in its original
    >>>configuration. Have you never read a product warranty, which almost always
    >>>states that the warranty is void if the owner makes unauthorized changes
    >>>the product? Or is this also an opportunity for you to press your agenda
    >>>against Dell or against India?

    Bruce,

    Thanks for the help.

    John

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:14:51 -0500, Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >jrcat7@(nospam)mindspring.com wrote in
    >
    >> If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    >> of the dialog:
    >>
    >> Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    >> side?"
    >>
    >> John: "right side from the front or the back?"
    >>
    >> Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    >> plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"
    >>
    >> John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    >> talking power connectors or interface wires?"
    >>
    >> Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."
    >>

    >> or...
    >>
    >> Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    >> monitor say?"
    >>
    >> John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"
    >>
    >> Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"
    >>
    >> Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"
    >>
    >> John: "It says keyboard error"
    >>
    >> Tech: "you're tapping too fast"
    >>
    >> John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    >> to a boot menu I can do that..."
    >>
    >Reminds me of an online chat I once had with Comcast:
    >
    >--------
    >Comcast: Hello, my name is Rich. Sorry for any inconvenience you may be
    >experiencing. How may I help you?
    >
    >Me: The mail server keeps rejecting my password.
    >
    >Comcast: Can you connect to the internet?
    >--------
    >
    >Anyway, is the choppy sound only with CDs and DVDs? If so, perhaps that
    >drive has reverted back to PIO mode.
    >
    >Assuming you're running XP, I'd also cross-post to the public microsoft
    >newsgroups with your specifics. I'd try:
    >
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >
    >Please let us know the fix.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Bruce

    Burn an image of your current boot drive to your second hard drive. Then
    boot to the XP CD, delete the boot partition, format and reinstall the OS,
    the chipset drivers, and all other drivers. No apps. Then see if the
    problem is present. If it still is, it is probably and hardware issue. You
    can also restore the boot partition in just a few minutes using the image
    you created.

    > The poijnt of mentioning the CIO business was to indicate that I had
    > been around technology for many years...as I pointed out "that didn't
    > make me a technology expert"...
    >
    > I had considered hardware but I've got a room full of
    > hardware...that's why I was asaking for help...looking for a place to
    > start.
    >
    > Before I start indicriminantly swapping parts out I was looking for
    > some advice on where to start. I realize there are people cruising
    > through this group looking to bash anyone with a disenting view but
    > I'll take the chance. As it is...I can still get help even if I must
    > sift through the innane remarks.

    That sounds good...

    I had a diagnostic fail this morning on the mouse test. We use the
    machine for doing Livechat during the day so we'll look further...

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    John

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:11:44 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Burn an image of your current boot drive to your second hard drive. Then
    >boot to the XP CD, delete the boot partition, format and reinstall the OS,
    >the chipset drivers, and all other drivers. No apps. Then see if the
    >problem is present. If it still is, it is probably and hardware issue. You
    >can also restore the boot partition in just a few minutes using the image
    >you created.
    >

    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> The poijnt of mentioning the CIO business was to indicate that I had
    >> been around technology for many years...as I pointed out "that didn't
    >> make me a technology expert"...
    >>
    >> I had considered hardware but I've got a room full of
    >> hardware...that's why I was asaking for help...looking for a place to
    >> start.
    >>
    >> Before I start indicriminantly swapping parts out I was looking for
    >> some advice on where to start. I realize there are people cruising
    >> through this group looking to bash anyone with a disenting view but
    >> I'll take the chance. As it is...I can still get help even if I must
    >> sift through the innane remarks.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    And to think I used to do this for a living and actually thought I and
    my peers, wares supposed to give intelligent, insightful answers to user
    questions. No wonder all the tech support jobs went overseas.

    KC

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    > of the dialog:
    >
    > Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    > side?"
    >
    > John: "right side from the front or the back?"
    >
    > Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    > plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"
    >
    > John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    > talking power connectors or interface wires?"
    >
    > Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."
    >

    > or...
    >
    > Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    > monitor say?"
    >
    > John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"
    >
    > Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"
    >
    > Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"
    >
    > John: "It says keyboard error"
    >
    > Tech: "you're tapping too fast"
    >
    > John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    > to a boot menu I can do that..."
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:26:02 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > ><major snippage>
    > >
    > >" But it bothers me much less now than it did before."
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >
    > >LOL Not to make light of your problem, but that made me chuckle.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    No, they went overseas because it was cheaper that way.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > And to think I used to do this for a living and actually thought I and
    > my peers, wares supposed to give intelligent, insightful answers to user
    > questions. No wonder all the tech support jobs went overseas.
    >
    > KC
    >
    > "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > > If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    > > of the dialog:
    > >
    > > Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    > > side?"
    > >
    > > John: "right side from the front or the back?"
    > >
    > > Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    > > plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"
    > >
    > > John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    > > talking power connectors or interface wires?"
    > >
    > > Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."
    > >

    > > or...
    > >
    > > Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    > > monitor say?"
    > >
    > > John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"
    > >
    > > Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"
    > >
    > > Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"
    > >
    > > John: "It says keyboard error"
    > >
    > > Tech: "you're tapping too fast"
    > >
    > > John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    > > to a boot menu I can do that..."
    > >

    > > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:26:02 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > ><major snippage>
    > > >
    > > >" But it bothers me much less now than it did before."

    > > >LOL Not to make light of your problem, but that made me chuckle.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > No, they went overseas because it was cheaper that way.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    If we weren't required to actually think, we could have done cheap. Who
    Knew?

    KC
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Oh, so in your opinion, Americans are inherently smarter than Indians?

    Your remarks serve to further illustrate my point: Most posters who complain
    about Indian tech support are only looking for a soapbox to vent their
    racist views.

    --

    > > No, they went overseas because it was cheaper that way.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >
    > If we weren't required to actually think, we could have done cheap.
    Who
    > Knew?
    >
    > KC

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hi Kevin,

    Yes...I remember insightful intelligent answers....been a while since
    I've gotten them except from AT&T.

    I had occasion recently to work with AT&T DNS Services on some server
    issues and found very knowledgable technicians who really knew their
    stuf...and were customer-focused.

    (...and yes, Ted, they didn't sound like they were overseas).

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:11:36 -0500, "Kevin Childers"
    <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

    > And to think I used to do this for a living and actually thought I and
    >my peers, wares supposed to give intelligent, insightful answers to user
    >questions. No wonder all the tech support jobs went overseas.
    >
    >KC
    >
    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> If I hadn't been so irritated I would've found a lot of humor in some
    >> of the dialog:
    >>
    >> Tech: "looking at the motherboard do you see a jumper on the right
    >> side?"
    >>
    >> John: "right side from the front or the back?"
    >>
    >> Tech: "uh...one moment...(shuffling papers) do you see a lot of wires
    >> plugged in to the motherboard on one side?"
    >>
    >> John: "No...I see a lot of wires plugged into two sides. Are you
    >> talking power connectors or interface wires?"
    >>
    >> Tech: "one moment (shuffling papers)... uh..."
    >>

    >> or...
    >>
    >> Tech: "tap rapidly on the F-12 key while booting. Now what does your
    >> monitor say?"
    >>
    >> John: "it shows the Windows XP startup screen"
    >>
    >> Tech: "You didn't start tapping soon enough. Reboot and tap F-12"
    >>
    >> Tech: "Now what does your monitor say?"
    >>
    >> John: "It says keyboard error"
    >>
    >> Tech: "you're tapping too fast"
    >>
    >> John: If you'lljust tell me you want me to boot to a setup screen or
    >> to a boot menu I can do that..."
    >>

    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:26:02 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> ><major snippage>
    >> >
    >> >" But it bothers me much less now than it did before."

    >> >LOL Not to make light of your problem, but that made me chuckle.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hi Stew,

    The Raptor is the boot drive and also contains a lot of data. The
    drive has about 34 gig of data so it's about half full.

    The Maxtor 250 that partitioned and now is an F & G drive. The F drive
    contains the original Dell install and exhibits the same symptoms as
    the boot on the Raptor.

    Yes, I'm using a Soundblaster Live-24 and have the integrated audio
    disabled.

    Thanks,
    John

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:57:13 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >"nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    >> Hi Stew,
    >>
    >> I changed the hard drives immediately upon receicing the machine.
    >> Installed a WD Raptor as drive 0 and moved the Maxtor 250 to the drive
    >> 2 position.
    >>
    >> The problem began to occur about 4 months later. No new hardware or
    >> software added around that time.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John
    >>

    >Fair enough. Are you using the integrated sound or a soundblaster PCI card?
    >
    >Also, what's on each drive and do you have one you can "spare" for a test
    >clean install?
    >

    >Stew

  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    No slight to Indians in general, my peers over there have equal skills,
    but they aren't the guys who answer level one tech calls unfortunately. Not
    that the guys who answer the phone are dumb, just under trained for the
    jobs. They are further restricted by company policy's that require them to
    stick strictly to their scripts and not to deviate. Not that is, unless
    they want to get fired. It's part of the environment that further hinders
    their development of better skills. Not that they are getting paid all that
    well for working 6x10.

    BTW for those who have a problem with the language, blame it on the
    British. Back in the days of the empire, the British Rodge ( I probably
    have misspelled that) obviously failed to provide an adequate basis for the
    masses to gain a useful education. But then if they had cockneys answering
    the phone I doubt if most of us could understand them any better.

    KC

    > Oh, so in your opinion, Americans are inherently smarter than Indians?
    >
    > Your remarks serve to further illustrate my point: Most posters who
    complain
    > about Indian tech support are only looking for a soapbox to vent their
    > racist views.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > No, they went overseas because it was cheaper that way.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > > "You can do it if you try."
    > > >
    > > If we weren't required to actually think, we could have done cheap.
    > Who
    > > Knew?
    > >
    > > KC

  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Hi Stew,
    >
    > The Raptor is the boot drive and also contains a lot of data. The
    > drive has about 34 gig of data so it's about half full.
    >
    > The Maxtor 250 that partitioned and now is an F & G drive. The F drive
    > contains the original Dell install and exhibits the same symptoms as
    > the boot on the Raptor.
    >
    > Yes, I'm using a Soundblaster Live-24 and have the integrated audio
    > disabled.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    John,

    What happens if you removed the SBLive24 while unplugged (connect the black
    front audio to the mb connector), then power up and boot into BIOS and
    enable the integrated sound.......and ultimately into Windows?

    Stew
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! I have a dell dimension 2400 ... the
    sound is always choppy. Hardware tech support just gave me quick
    fixes (reinstalled windows, checked speakers, replaced mother board,
    downloaded piotodma) --- ALL TEMP FIXES... now they want me to pay
    300 bucks to fix this problem... it's rediculous! What do i do?
    Someone help me!
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I think it is fixed..

    It's been running a week now with no sound or mouse problems.

    The last change I made was:

    I toggled the bios setting for mouse from PS-2 to COM and back to
    PS-2.

    John

    Thanks to all for the ideas and help.

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:27:41 -0400, jrcat7@(nospam)mindspring.com
    wrote:

    >Last week I wrote a note here because my 8 month old 8400 was
    >experiencing intermittant choppy sound and erratic mouse problems.
    >
    >So, after several weeks of this and being sure the machine is
    >spyware/virus & worm free and not seeing any obvious conflicts or old
    >drivers we finally broke down and called India.
    >
    >Brief Background: I've purchased 7 Dells from a 266, 500, Inspiron,
    >1500 and have been a Dell supporter since the very early days. Years
    >ago I called Dell on a Sunday night with a bad motherboard and had a
    >tech onsite replacing it on Tuesday morning.
    >
    >I'm sure many of you know a lot more than I do but I'm a retired CIO
    >of 25 years (not that this qualifies me as a technical person) but I
    >can take care of things.
    >
    >Well, that all changed Tuesday when we called about a choppy sound and
    >erratic mouse complaint. In the space of 2 hours (after a 45 minute on
    >hold wait) India took the machine from having an irritating but minor
    >problem to one where the machine had a BSOD part way through the boot
    >sequence.
    >
    >And the tech & his manager were telling me it was MY fault it
    >happened. 2 hours into the call they discovered the machine had 2 hard
    >drives and that the Dell installed hard drive was now the second drive
    >on the machine. Once they discovered this they said that I would be
    >transferred to the India Help Line, for which I would have to pay. I
    >said "because yout have caused a BSOD on a machine that started with a
    >minor problem I now have to pay to fix a problem that YOU caused?"
    >
    >While arguing with them I was able to stop the auto reboot and get the
    >BSOD message that the Boot.ini file had been damaged. I fixed that,
    >adios'ed the Indians and came away with the very clear impression that
    >Dell support has taken a BAD turn. I used to be able to talk to techs
    >who really knew their stuff. Now I get people who read from
    >troubleshooting guides and ask for answers.
    >
    >The manager said "If we'd know you had 2 hard drives we would not have
    >diagnosed your machine because our techs aren't trained on that". I
    >said "if it's so important why don't you ask when you first take the
    >call?" He said "Dell sells 10,000 machnies a day and we have to have
    >efficient support". I said "Thanks". Have someone from Dell who cares
    >call me tomorrow (yesterday). Haven't received any calls but I'm now
    >back where I started with a minor choppy sound and erratic mouse
    >problem. But it bothers me much less now than it did before.
    >
    >John

Dell Computers