WAP11 woes - won't reset

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 28, 2004 11:01:35 PM

I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).

I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
characters long, so there is no guessing it.

Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
can't remember.

Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????

Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
No CMOS battery here folks.

Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?

More about : wap11 woes reset

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:22:59 AM

Philip wrote:
> I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
> until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
> hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).
>
> I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
> Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
> I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
> have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
> have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
> characters long, so there is no guessing it.
>
> Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
> AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
> blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
> the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
> can't remember.
>
> Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????
>
> Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
> tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
> wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
> No CMOS battery here folks.
>

> Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?

Try pressing the reset button, then powering on while continuing to
press the reset for maybe 10 seconds. This seems to work with other
Linksys products.

June 29, 2004 9:31:23 AM

Did you follow the instructions in the User Guide (available online)? It
says to hold the reset button for approximately 10 seconds.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Philip" <philipacamaniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
> until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
> hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).
>
> I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
> Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
> I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
> have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
> have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
> characters long, so there is no guessing it.
>
> Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
> AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
> blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
> the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
> can't remember.
>
> Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????
>
> Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
> tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
> wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
> No CMOS battery here folks.
>

> Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?
June 29, 2004 1:28:19 PM

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<L87Ec.34249$OT6.15789071@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Did you follow the instructions in the User Guide (available online)? It
> says to hold the reset button for approximately 10 seconds.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Philip" <philipacamaniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
> > until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
> > hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).
> >
> > I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
> > Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
> > I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
> > have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
> > have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
> > characters long, so there is no guessing it.
> >
> > Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
> > AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
> > blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
> > the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
> > can't remember.
> >
> > Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????
> >
> > Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
> > tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
> > wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
> > No CMOS battery here folks.
> >

> > Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?

I'll try that; I think I held it for about 6 seconds. I didn't see the
10 second instructions. Also forgot to mention - it seems like it
never leaves POST - the red LED stays on all the time, and the green
and yellow one turn on and off like they do when it is booting up, but
it never stops.

Oh well, I'll try the 10 second trick. Thanks.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 6:01:29 PM

WAP11 seems to have an uncanny affinity to saved config params. I ran into
trouble trying to change the SSID and it won't. Anyways, to reset the WAP11,
unplug the power and poke the reset button at the back, KEEP IT PRESSED FOR
15 SECONDS, and it resets itself to factory default. If that doesn't do it
for you, then it sounds like bad news.

Tony

"Philip" <philipacamaniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
> until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
> hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).
>
> I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
> Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
> I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
> have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
> have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
> characters long, so there is no guessing it.
>
> Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
> AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
> blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
> the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
> can't remember.
>
> Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????
>
> Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
> tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
> wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
> No CMOS battery here folks.
>

> Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:41:48 PM

"Tony Vinayak" <tvinayak@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<ZCeEc.39081$OT6.17061217@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> WAP11 seems to have an uncanny affinity to saved config params. I ran into
> trouble trying to change the SSID and it won't. Anyways, to reset the WAP11,
> unplug the power and poke the reset button at the back, KEEP IT PRESSED FOR
> 15 SECONDS, and it resets itself to factory default. If that doesn't do it
> for you, then it sounds like bad news.
>
> Tony
>
> "Philip" <philipacamaniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2 AP, and it has been happily working
> > until recently, when the signal started degrading severely (like, it'd
> > hop down to 1Mbps and the connection would usually drop).
> >
> > I decided to un-upgrade my firmware 1.1 to a handy 1.009 I found.
> > Everything went smoothly, kinda, except it didn't fix the problem. So,
> > I went to upgrade back to 1.1, and when putting in my password, i must
> > have hit caps or something, because i can't figure out my password (I
> > have no idea how i typed it twice). Worst part is, my password is 14
> > characters long, so there is no guessing it.
> >
> > Anyway, I went to hit the "dreaded" reset button, and since I did, my
> > AP doesn't work at all. AT ALL! I can power it off, and reset till I'm
> > blue in the face, but I got nothing. Occasionally it comes alive with
> > the settings I last had (not the default settings), and the password I
> > can't remember.
> >
> > Why can't I reset the dang thing factory defaults????
> >
> > Oh, and I did something very foolish: I opened it up to see if I could
> > tinker with it at all, only to find that it was nothing more than a
> > wireless PCMCIA card, an ethernet adapter, and the antenna apparatus.
> > No CMOS battery here folks.
> >

> > Is my WAP11 toast, or is there some hope for me yet?

I reset it, and all I had available was an "upload" page to upload
firmware, and it had a warning saying that if I mess up, I could
render it unusable. So I uploaded the recently downloaded 1.1
firmware, and it STILL HAD MY SETTINGS. (password, SSID, etc.) And, it
doesn't work very well - I can get an IP, but the connection keeps
timing out and the transmission rate jumps from 11 to 1 to 54 (and it
ain't even 54mbs!!)

If I connect to it on the wired LAN, here's what the PING -t command
gives me:

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127

Note the non-default IP that I gave it, not the default 192.168.1.251,
and also, what's with all the timeouts? My cable's fine, my other
equipment's fine... I can surf, stream and download all I want if I
hardwire.

Any more suggestions?
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:20:54 AM

> If I connect to it on the wired LAN, here's what the PING -t command
> gives me:
>
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
>

> Note the non-default IP that I gave it, not the default 192.168.1.251,
> and also, what's with all the timeouts? My cable's fine, my other
> equipment's fine... I can surf, stream and download all I want if I
> hardwire.
>
> Any more suggestions?

The timeouts aren't good. Is 192.168.1.2 the IP address of the Default
Gateway (i.e., the router's LAN interface)?

Try issuing "netstat -e" before and after the "ping -t" command. The
difference in the number of errors represents the errors that occurred
during the ping. Also, look at the log on the router (unfortunately,
residential routers don't provide nearly as much statistical information as
enterprise-class routers like Cisco).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:22:03 AM

> Also forgot to mention - it seems like it
> never leaves POST - the red LED stays on all the time, and the green
> and yellow one turn on and off like they do when it is booting up, but
> it never stops.

This sounds like a hardware malfunction. Did you call the vendor?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!