Playing Civ3 Conquest version 1.20 multiplayer....
I can not successfully load a saved game.
Whenever I load a savegame, the screen is just black. When I then move a
unit, the map suddenly appears, but the game then freezes.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Kim

"Kim Hellan" <xxx@yyyl.com> wrote in message
> Playing Civ3 Conquest version 1.20 multiplayer....
> I can not successfully load a saved game.
> Whenever I load a savegame, the screen is just black. When I then move a
> unit, the map suddenly appears, but the game then freezes.
>
> Anyone else having this problem?

Upgrade to 1.22
1.20 was full of bugs
1.20, 1.22 won't work w/ any games started with 1.15 or earlier

Thanks, I'll try version 1.22 instead.
I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of their patches.
They don't seem to test them very thoroughly, since they miss very obvious
bugs.

/Kim

> Thanks, I'll try version 1.22 instead.
> I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of their patches.
> They don't seem to test them very thoroughly, since they miss very obvious
> bugs.
>
> /Kim
>
> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kim Hellan" <xxx@yyyl.com> wrote in message
> > > Playing Civ3 Conquest version 1.20 multiplayer....
> > > I can not successfully load a saved game.
> > > Whenever I load a savegame, the screen is just black. When I then move
> > > unit, the map suddenly appears, but the game then freezes.
> > >
> > > Anyone else having this problem?
> >
> > Upgrade to 1.22
> > 1.20 was full of bugs
> > 1.20, 1.22 won't work w/ any games started with 1.15 or earlier

1.22 might be the last we see of patches for C3C. They pulled the programmer
to work on different projects. Since there won't be any more expansions and
they already stole.... i mean... have our money, there's no reason to
support it further.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:12:38 GMT, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"Kim Hellan" <xxx@yyyl.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I'll try version 1.22 instead.
>> I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of their patches.
>> They don't seem to test them very thoroughly, since they miss very obvious
>> bugs.

Patches don't make money, so most companies can't afford to do a
large testing cycle on them. If they work for the programmer's team,
they likely will work in the field.

This is by far not the only program to have patches released which
just didn't work right. 1.22 came out almost instantly once 1.20
proved not to work correctly.

I don't love the incompatible savegame deal though. I understand
how it can happen -- significant fixes change the actual underlying
data -- but it still is confusing. I tried to load up an old game I
wanted to finish after I put the patches on -- forgetting that I'd
planned to finish it first, then patch.

No go. Oh, it loaded without crashing, but there were a lot of
glitches. I decided to just reinstall sans patches, finish it, then
patch.

1.22 seems pretty decent. A lot of fixes in -- I'd complain much
more about the release state of the game vs. the patches themselves,
which messed up a few places (even in 1.22) but mostly fixed things.

>> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Kim Hellan" <xxx@yyyl.com> wrote in message

>> > Upgrade to 1.22
>> > 1.20 was full of bugs
>> > 1.20, 1.22 won't work w/ any games started with 1.15 or earlier
>
>1.22 might be the last we see of patches for C3C. They pulled the programmer
>to work on different projects. Since there won't be any more expansions and
>they already stole.... i mean... have our money, there's no reason to
>support it further.

Not after announcing the patch plan and not with the list of known
fixable bugs. It may take time, but I bet they will eventually do it.

It isn't up to version 1.31 (the final patch versions of MOO2 and
MOM), both of which could have had more done after (Mac MOO2 did
(sigh), but it never made it to the PC version).

Now that we are talking patch quality......
I'm also a great fan of Blizzard games (Warcraft, Starcraft) and they are
excellent at patching their games.
Long after the release of a game, they still make patches that balances the
game a bit better and introduces new features.
And their patches are always excellent quality.

/Kim