Disbanding for Shields

Vincent

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004

When I disband a military unit inside a city, I get shields applied to what
I am building....

.....unless I am building a wonder. Is this correct? One thing I have done,
was start my wonder as a bank, disband until it gets almost built, and then
switch it to the wonder. But I still have a long way to go. Any other
tricks?

Also, what does one do if they build the wonder first and you have 160 extra
shields? I used to think caravans were a PITA, but now I sorta miss 'em.

"Vincent" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> When I disband a military unit inside a city, I get shields applied to
what
> I am building....
>
> ....unless I am building a wonder. Is this correct? One thing I have done,
> was start my wonder as a bank, disband until it gets almost built, and
then
> switch it to the wonder. But I still have a long way to go. Any other
> tricks?
>
> Also, what does one do if they build the wonder first and you have 160
extra
> shields? I used to think caravans were a PITA, but now I sorta miss 'em.

It depends what version of civ you have.

Civ3 vanilla & PTW: Small & Great Wonders can only be rushed via great
leaders.

C3C: Great Wonders can only be rushed via a scientific great leader. Small
wonders can be rushed via SGL or MGL

All versions: Any city that has used a partial rush
(disband/forestry/leader/etc) cannot switch to a wonder, small or large. It
just won't be an option to switch production to.

If you're beaten to a wonder, you switch to another or a palace to use as a
shield holder till the one you want becomes available.

I miss the CivII trick of sending worker caravans to rush a wonder. I know
it made it too easy to build them since the AI rarely, if ever, took
advantage of that, but it's alot more realistic than having some great
leader sunddenly inspire people to build a 100 yr. wonder in 20 yrs