Confused re. wireless access to DSL

In my earlier post I asked about alternatives to setting up w/o the
installation disc a WUSB-11 adapter I inherited from my son. Well, I
eventually located the original install disc and will download the most
recent driver when I set the whiole system up (I will have DSL installed
after July 1).

However, I'm still confused about one thing: If I want to have a notebook pc
access the internet via my DSL connection, and I already have the WUSB11
installed and running, do I also need a "router" or will the adapter be the
only other piece of equipment I need?

Thanks for the previous responses, BTW.
--
Paul R
4 answers Last reply

    "Paul R" <prosete@STICKERworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > In my earlier post I asked about alternatives to setting up w/o the
    > installation disc a WUSB-11 adapter I inherited from my son. Well, I
    > eventually located the original install disc and will download the most
    > recent driver when I set the whiole system up (I will have DSL installed
    > after July 1).
    >
    > However, I'm still confused about one thing: If I want to have a notebook
    pc
    > access the internet via my DSL connection, and I already have the WUSB11
    > installed and running, do I also need a "router" or will the adapter be
    the
    > only other piece of equipment I need?
    >
    > Thanks for the previous responses, BTW.
    > --
    > Paul R

    You have a Linksys WUSB11? is so that is a 802.11b device.

    Unless you are sharing the connection through a computer you should use a
    devices such as a Linksys WRT54G (something similar) This will allow you
    to connect to the internet via DSL through a router/firewall in a wireless
    manner. The example I have given you is a wireless-G device or 802.11g, most
    802.11g devices including this one are also compatible with 802.11b devices
    such as the Linksys WUSB11. The advantage of getting a 802.11g device is you
    can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are also
    better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
    802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.

    Andrew

    http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
    Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
    Solutions.

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:53:07 +0100, "Andrew Crook"
    <andrew@NOSPAM_andicrook.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >You have a Linksys WUSB11? is so that is a 802.11b device.
    >
    >Unless you are sharing the connection through a computer you should use a
    >devices such as a Linksys WRT54G (something similar) This will allow you
    >to connect to the internet via DSL through a router/firewall in a wireless
    >manner. The example I have given you is a wireless-G device or 802.11g, most
    >802.11g devices including this one are also compatible with 802.11b devices
    >such as the Linksys WUSB11. The advantage of getting a 802.11g device is you
    >can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are also
    >better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
    >802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.
    >
    >Andrew

    Depends upon the DSL company. I purchased a WRT54G router for my
    daughter when she signed up for DSL with QWest. When I got to her
    home, I discovered that the QWest modem was a combo modem/wireless
    router and I didn't need another router. Check with your DSL company
    to see what they are providing.

    Dick

    > can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are
    also
    > better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
    > 802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.
    >

    > Andrew
    >
    > http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
    > Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
    > Solutions.

    I have read a article that claims

    The press release states:

    By summer, Linksys will also provide WPA enhancements for many of its
    popular Wireless Dual-Band A+G products and Wireless-B products, including
    the BEFW11S4 (v2 and v3), WPC11 (v2, v2.5 and v3), WUSB11 (v2 and v2.5),
    WMP11, WCF11 and WCF12.

    also someone I know claims that WUSB11 v2.8 out of the box supports WPA..
    I have yet to confirm this as I rarely deal with USB adaptors myself.

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > Depends upon the DSL company. I purchased a WRT54G router for my
    > daughter when she signed up for DSL with QWest. When I got to her
    > home, I discovered that the QWest modem was a combo modem/wireless
    > router and I didn't need another router. Check with your DSL company
    > to see what they are providing.
    >
    > Dick

    I had a client using RCN as the ISP who provided a combo cable modem,
    router, and access-point. The unit had a poor range and wouldn't work with
    a repeater. So I had the client exchange the combo unit for a simple cable
    modem. Then I provided them with a wireless router and repeater.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Access DSL Internet Wireless Networking