Confused re. wireless access to DSL

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 29, 2004 1:54:43 PM

In my earlier post I asked about alternatives to setting up w/o the
installation disc a WUSB-11 adapter I inherited from my son. Well, I
eventually located the original install disc and will download the most
recent driver when I set the whiole system up (I will have DSL installed
after July 1).

However, I'm still confused about one thing: If I want to have a notebook pc
access the internet via my DSL connection, and I already have the WUSB11
installed and running, do I also need a "router" or will the adapter be the
only other piece of equipment I need?

Thanks for the previous responses, BTW.
--
Paul R
Anonymous

"Paul R" <prosete@STICKERworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:D %aEc.41259$OB3.21948@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> In my earlier post I asked about alternatives to setting up w/o the
> installation disc a WUSB-11 adapter I inherited from my son. Well, I
> eventually located the original install disc and will download the most
> recent driver when I set the whiole system up (I will have DSL installed
> after July 1).
>
> However, I'm still confused about one thing: If I want to have a notebook
pc
> access the internet via my DSL connection, and I already have the WUSB11
> installed and running, do I also need a "router" or will the adapter be
the
> only other piece of equipment I need?
>
> Thanks for the previous responses, BTW.
> --
> Paul R

You have a Linksys WUSB11? is so that is a 802.11b device.

Unless you are sharing the connection through a computer you should use a
devices such as a Linksys WRT54G (something similar) This will allow you
to connect to the internet via DSL through a router/firewall in a wireless
manner. The example I have given you is a wireless-G device or 802.11g, most
802.11g devices including this one are also compatible with 802.11b devices
such as the Linksys WUSB11. The advantage of getting a 802.11g device is you
can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are also
better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.

Andrew

http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
Solutions.
June 29, 2004 5:53:08 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:53:07 +0100, "Andrew Crook"
<andrew@NOSPAM_andicrook.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>You have a Linksys WUSB11? is so that is a 802.11b device.
>
>Unless you are sharing the connection through a computer you should use a
>devices such as a Linksys WRT54G (something similar) This will allow you
>to connect to the internet via DSL through a router/firewall in a wireless
>manner. The example I have given you is a wireless-G device or 802.11g, most
>802.11g devices including this one are also compatible with 802.11b devices
>such as the Linksys WUSB11. The advantage of getting a 802.11g device is you
>can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are also
>better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
>802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.
>
>Andrew

Depends upon the DSL company. I purchased a WRT54G router for my
daughter when she signed up for DSL with QWest. When I got to her
home, I discovered that the QWest modem was a combo modem/wireless
router and I didn't need another router. Check with your DSL company
to see what they are providing.

Dick
June 29, 2004 6:07:00 PM

> can later upgrade your adaptors and get a quicker connection, there are
also
> better security features as manufactures focus on updating features in
> 802.11g more/rather than 802.11b.
>

> Andrew
>
> http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
> Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
> Solutions.

I have read a article that claims

The press release states:

By summer, Linksys will also provide WPA enhancements for many of its
popular Wireless Dual-Band A+G products and Wireless-B products, including
the BEFW11S4 (v2 and v3), WPC11 (v2, v2.5 and v3), WUSB11 (v2 and v2.5),
WMP11, WCF11 and WCF12.

also someone I know claims that WUSB11 v2.8 out of the box supports WPA..
I have yet to confirm this as I rarely deal with USB adaptors myself.

Andrew

http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
Solutions.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 8:45:40 AM

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> Depends upon the DSL company. I purchased a WRT54G router for my
> daughter when she signed up for DSL with QWest. When I got to her
> home, I discovered that the QWest modem was a combo modem/wireless
> router and I didn't need another router. Check with your DSL company
> to see what they are providing.
>
> Dick

I had a client using RCN as the ISP who provided a combo cable modem,
router, and access-point. The unit had a poor range and wouldn't work with
a repeater. So I had the client exchange the combo unit for a simple cable
modem. Then I provided them with a wireless router and repeater.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!