Automatic Login

Hi

I have set up several computers with XP and using the Windows Messenger
works great with video and voice (over UPnP routers). No problems so
far. All Messengers are set up to start automatically when Windows has
started. Every computer shows the Messenger icon right next to the
clock on the task bar but on some installations it doesn't log-in
automatically. These users have to right-click the icon and click on
login. Then it works. It cannot be a password problem because the users
don't need to enter a password, just click login and Messenger will log
in. So the stored password must be correct.

And some users get a white Messenger Window with a "Click here to log
in" link. Once they click there Messenger will log in. Also no password
required.

All computers running XP with SP2. We are using German language of
Messenger so when I mention "click here ..." etc. above it's actually
in German and I translated it here. So it might well be written
differently in the real English version.

It's not a huge problem but a bit annoying. Maybe someone knows a
"magic registry key" to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Alain

ES

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

I had the same problem. With me it was caused by installing MSN Messenger.
When I realised I preferred to work with Windows Messenger, the installation
of MSN Messenger had deactivated automatic sign on for Windows Messenger.
Removing/uninstalling MSN messenger did not solve the problem. The only
solution I could find was the 'Restore' function to the point before I
installed MSN Messenger. This will only be practical if you installed MSN
Messenger not too long ago. After restoring to this point, Windows Messenger
signed on automatically.