Black Screen on Startup

Last response: in Video Games
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2004 4:53:58 AM

when ever i try to start Civ3/ptw/conquest it does the load screen
then the monitor turns off, but i can still hear the game, and i can
hear it changing selections when i press arrow keys. GEforce video
card and i've messed with all the settings. anyone have any idea's?

More about : black screen startup

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2004 4:53:59 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:53:58 GMT, KoolAid <joe@blow.com> wrote:

>when ever i try to start Civ3/ptw/conquest it does the load screen
>then the monitor turns off, but i can still hear the game, and i can
>hear it changing selections when i press arrow keys. GEforce video
>card and i've messed with all the settings. anyone have any idea's?

It sounds like the video mode selected isn't supported by your
monitor. Civ3 defaults to using a match for your desktop, I believe,
but at the highest refresh rate listed. You can force this to change
with the Civ3.ini (or other program) settings in the game folder; I
can't remember the exact instructions -- check on any of the websites
for more info.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2004 6:21:51 AM

"KoolAid" <joe@blow.com> wrote in message
> when ever i try to start Civ3/ptw/conquest it does the load screen
> then the monitor turns off, but i can still hear the game, and i can
> hear it changing selections when i press arrow keys. GEforce video
> card and i've messed with all the settings. anyone have any idea's?

I don't know anything about that particular card but if you've set
everything as low as it can go and it still doesn't work.
Then I suggest:
1) check to make sure you have the proper DirectX installed.
2) make sure your video/audio drivers are up to date (sometimes this works
but not always).
3) if you are on a low memory machine (i.e. 256 mb or less) goto startup/run
type msconfig. Choose selective startup and clear the checkbox next to
"load startup group items." Apply, OK and reboot. Try your game. If it
works, then a normal boot up has too much stuff running in the background
for the game to work.

To see if low memory could be an issue: Right click on My computer. Choose
properties then the performace tab. There should be a line "System
resources free: xx%" xx% being the percentage of memory free for use at
that moment. Each system is different, but I would say that 90% free and
above is where you want it to be. If your % is lower, then try the msconfig
option above.
!