Sign in with
Your question

Ideal driver for my new MSI Ti4200 128mb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2002 7:19:31 AM

Hi all, if u remember I was the guy asking questions about "which card to buy" here few weeks ago. And here I am, finished with my exams and all, got me a msi ti4200 128mb vid card
and I was wondering if the driver that comes with the card is good enough or do I get a better performance from that card by downloading a new version of the driver.
My system is AMD TB750, 640mb pc133 and Asus mobo (forgot model), and my ti4200 isn't the "plus" version, i.e. AGP8X

thanks

my pc sucks major arse
December 12, 2002 10:45:07 AM

It is usually a good idea to stay up-to-date with video card drivers, because updated driver almost always offer either increased perfomance, bug correction, or increased driver compatibility. If the new driver didn't help you in some way, why would they spend their time and money to release it?

It is always a good idea to check at nvidia.com (for geforce cards) because nvidia tends to release new driver quite regularily (thats a good thing).

As for you 'not getting the "plus model', that was a very wise choice whether you know it or not. 8xAGP versions of geforce cards offer almost nothing over the 4xAGP versions (only around 1% performance gain) and do not justify the jump in price.

<font color=red> Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people. </font color=red> :wink:
December 30, 2002 10:56:29 PM

I guess I'm one of the stupid people and got the 8x.

Anyways, I had a problem installing the included driver (Windows would start up with that opening sound thing and I would be stuck with a blank screen). Installed the Nvidia driver instead and no problems. It may have been problems with a corrupt OS, but I'll deal with that later.
!