What is the Proper Install Order for Patches

I just had windows screw up my registry on me. As a result I had to
re-install a lot of software to get it to work. Civ III was one of
those programs.

Conquests and PTW no longer where listed in my install because of the
registry mess up. So rather than blow away files containing my
preferences and Hight Score I installed over the existing
installation. For regular Civ III I uninstalled first.

I installed Civ III and its patch. Then Conquests and its patch.

Will that cover PTW patch too? Will PTW be messed up any since it was
originally installled from a PTW CD.

So far everything looks o.k. But I am still worrie something isn't
right.
6 answers Last reply
More about what proper install order patches
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Gotta love computers hey. I just re did mine as well. First thing back on
    was Civil.
    you ge the common error. "Missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system"

    "P12" <nomail@all.com> wrote in message
    > I just had windows screw up my registry on me. As a result I had to
    > re-install a lot of software to get it to work. Civ III was one of
    > those programs.
    >
    > Conquests and PTW no longer where listed in my install because of the
    > registry mess up. So rather than blow away files containing my
    > preferences and Hight Score I installed over the existing
    > installation. For regular Civ III I uninstalled first.
    >
    > I installed Civ III and its patch. Then Conquests and its patch.
    >
    > Will that cover PTW patch too? Will PTW be messed up any since it was
    > originally installled from a PTW CD.
    >
    > So far everything looks o.k. But I am still worrie something isn't
    > right.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:23:27 -0400, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:

    >I just had windows screw up my registry on me. As a result I had to
    >re-install a lot of software to get it to work. Civ III was one of
    >those programs.
    >
    >Conquests and PTW no longer where listed in my install because of the
    >registry mess up. So rather than blow away files containing my
    >preferences and Hight Score I installed over the existing
    >installation. For regular Civ III I uninstalled first.
    >
    >I installed Civ III and its patch. Then Conquests and its patch.
    >
    >Will that cover PTW patch too? Will PTW be messed up any since it was
    >originally installled from a PTW CD.

    PTW patches Civ3, Conquests patches PTW and Civ3 (assuming you never
    installed PTW separately).

    However, if you don't install PTW separately, you don't get all the
    content folders for the scenarios. You'll need to download them or
    perhaps copy them from the CD -- I don't recall if you can simply copy
    them or not, as did the full reinstall sequence of conquests over a
    full PTW installation.

    >So far everything looks o.k. But I am still worrie something isn't
    >right.

    You can always tell the program version by looking at the bottom
    left corner of the screen. If it starts up, at least you have the
    executable right.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    i did it like this

    Civ3, then patch it to latest version
    Civ3:PTW, then patch it to latest version
    Civ3:conquests, then patch it to latest version

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:06:23 +0100 Adam Webb
    <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    <s-6dnSkmPYbl15PcRVn-pA@eclipse.net.uk>...

    > i did it like this
    >
    > Civ3, then patch it to latest version
    > Civ3:PTW, then patch it to latest version
    > Civ3:conquests, then patch it to latest version

    You don't need to do that much. All you need is:

    Civ3
    Civ3:Conquests, then patch it with latest version.

    Intermediate patches are unnecessary but harmless.

    --
    Daran

    "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but my chief duty is to
    accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.  The world is
    moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the
    aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." -- Helen Keller
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    i need the extra PTW units though......hmmmmm

    anyway for the last 2 installs ive install the game, then copied my OLD
    directory over so all my settings are the same on my "new" pc (or OS
    install). That works fine still. My Civ3 dir is coming up to 2 years old
    lol......

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag
    "Daran" <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:06:23 +0100 Adam Webb
    > <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <s-6dnSkmPYbl15PcRVn-pA@eclipse.net.uk>...
    >
    > > i did it like this
    > >
    > > Civ3, then patch it to latest version
    > > Civ3:PTW, then patch it to latest version
    > > Civ3:conquests, then patch it to latest version
    >
    > You don't need to do that much. All you need is:
    >
    > Civ3
    > Civ3:Conquests, then patch it with latest version.
    >
    > Intermediate patches are unnecessary but harmless.
    >
    > > --
    > > From Adam Webb, Overlag
    >
    > --
    > Daran
    >
    > "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but my chief duty is to
    > accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is
    > moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the
    > aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." -- Helen Keller
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:04:02 +0100 Adam Webb
    <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    <6PudnTRYhpM62I3cRVn-vw@eclipse.net.uk>...

    > i need the extra PTW units though......hmmmmm

    Don't you get them anyway with Conquests?

    --
    Daran

    "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but my chief duty is to
    accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.  The world is
    moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the
    aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." -- Helen Keller

Registry Video Games