Turn off Updates

Can someone tell me how to turn off the Messenger update
function? I don't use Messenger, don't know what it is
and don't want to be bothered with the thing asking if I
want to update the version EVERY DAY... thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about turn updates

    Greetings Pattom,

    Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you
    in to the service (you can readd this back in the future if you like), click the Start
    Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select
    your account name, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click
    'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
    entry and click 'Remove'.

    If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

    Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
    choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
    Windows starts', 'Allow this program to run in the background' and click OK. Then
    right-click on its icon in the notification area/system tray (by the clock) and click Exit.

    It shouldn't bother you again.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "pattom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to turn off the Messenger update
    > function? I don't use Messenger, don't know what it is
    > and don't want to be bothered with the thing asking if I
    > want to update the version EVERY DAY... thanks

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP