Mandy

Thanks for the help earlier in the week Johnathan.
I have just bought a pc containing XP2 - has this system
got its own firewall or do i need to install one?
I dont know where to look to see where it is - but heard
that XP has its own firewall.

Hello !

Yes, they have it and sometimes it is not enabled.
- Simply go to My NetworkPlaces and pick Properties on
the Internet Connection.
- Select the Advanced tab and enable it.

If you would like to correspond further, I have created a
temp email address for you to contact me at:

FIREWALL.XP.TOSH382@SUPPORT.GNIS.NET

Sincerely,

Craig McIntosh
GNIS Support

While I leave my e-mail ID for all to see and use, I do NOT advocate that it
is used as a primary way to get answers from me.. it is not in the best
interests of this newsgroup or newsgroups in general.. if you want to
advertise your own support business, do it somewhere else..

Mike H

> Hello !
>
> Yes, they have it and sometimes it is not enabled.
> - Simply go to My NetworkPlaces and pick Properties on
> the Internet Connection.
> - Select the Advanced tab and enable it.
>
> If you would like to correspond further, I have created a
> temp email address for you to contact me at:
>
> FIREWALL.XP.TOSH382@SUPPORT.GNIS.NET
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Craig McIntosh
> GNIS Support

Hi,

More than likely after you e-mail this guy, he sends you his rates =)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> While I leave my e-mail ID for all to see and use, I do NOT advocate that it is used as a
> primary way to get answers from me.. it is not in the best interests of this newsgroup or
> newsgroups in general.. if you want to advertise your own support business, do it somewhere
> else..
>
> Mike H
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello !
>>
>> Yes, they have it and sometimes it is not enabled.
>> - Simply go to My NetworkPlaces and pick Properties on
>> the Internet Connection.
>> - Select the Advanced tab and enable it.
>>
>> If you would like to correspond further, I have created a
>> temp email address for you to contact me at:
>>
>> FIREWALL.XP.TOSH382@SUPPORT.GNIS.NET
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Craig McIntosh
>> GNIS Support

Greetings Mandy,

Assuming you mean Windows XP SP2 (there is no 'XP2'), yes it does have a built-in firewall
and should be perfectly fine.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Mandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help earlier in the week Johnathan.
> I have just bought a pc containing XP2 - has this system
> got its own firewall or do i need to install one?
> I dont know where to look to see where it is - but heard
> that XP has its own firewall.

Count on it.. :)

> Hi,
>
> More than likely after you e-mail this guy, he sends you his rates =)
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> While I leave my e-mail ID for all to see and use, I do NOT advocate that
>> it is used as a primary way to get answers from me.. it is not in the
>> best interests of this newsgroup or newsgroups in general.. if you want
>> to advertise your own support business, do it somewhere else..
>>
>> Mike H
>>
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello !
>>>
>>> Yes, they have it and sometimes it is not enabled.
>>> - Simply go to My NetworkPlaces and pick Properties on
>>> the Internet Connection.
>>> - Select the Advanced tab and enable it.
>>>
>>> If you would like to correspond further, I have created a
>>> temp email address for you to contact me at:
>>>
>>> FIREWALL.XP.TOSH382@SUPPORT.GNIS.NET
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Craig McIntosh
>>> GNIS Support

Hi,

Maybe I should start doing that........ just kidding =)

> Count on it.. :)
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> More than likely after you e-mail this guy, he sends you his rates =)
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> While I leave my e-mail ID for all to see and use, I do NOT advocate that it is used as a
>>> primary way to get answers from me.. it is not in the best interests of this newsgroup or
>>> newsgroups in general.. if you want to advertise your own support business, do it
>>> somewhere else..
>>>
>>> Mike H
>>>
>>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mandy

Now im confused, I was going to e mail the addy
that "anon" left, shall i not now?
Who is the person who answers the problems in this
newsgroup, I still cant find my firewall by the way!!!!!
help
Mandy

Jonathan Kay.

wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> More than likely after you e-mail this guy, he sends
you his rates =)
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004
Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>
>>> "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message
do NOT advocate that it is used as a
best interests of this newsgroup or
own support business, do it

message

on

created a

Mandy

This is what 'ANON' suggested..

- Simply go to My NetworkPlaces and pick Properties on
the Internet Connection.
- Select the Advanced tab and enable it.

That is exactly how you get to the XP firewall

You may want to consider using a software firewall.. they offer better
overall protection.. some are FREE too.. Zonealarm, Sygate and Kerio are
examples, and can be downloaded from their respective websites.. a search in
Google will get you there.. if you choose to do this, install one of the
above and then follow the advice given by ANON and turn off the XP firewall.

Re. e-mailing him.. if he was responsible for setting you up in the first
place, that is to say, he supplied the computer and operating system, and
has performed maintenance on your system at your request, then there is a
case for getting you to e-mail him for further support and expecting a
charge for that support.

These newsgroups exist to help computer users around the globe.. people like
Jonathon, the other MVPs (Microsoft Valued Professional, an unpaid title, by
the way), people who are/have been employed in the computer industry like
myself, computer hobbyists etc come to these newsgroups to offer FREE help
given in FREE time.. the essence of a newsgroup is that answers are posted
back into here for the benefit of ALL to see.. in this way, users with
problems may not have to directly post their problems as answers may have
already been provided.

To deliberately ask people to e-mail for specific answers goes against the
true spirit of the newsgroups, and is essentially a ploy to get payment for
solutions.. I provide my e-mail ID such that people can e-mail me if they so
desire.. I do not ask them to do it for the reasons outlined above, and I do
not expect or accept payment for any advice given by that method.

You will notice that some people ask for answers to be supplied in e-mail..
again, this goes against the true spirit of the newsgroups.. those people
can't expect us to also offer a free e-mail service.. if they can't be
bothered to come back to the group to get an answer, then hey.. whatever.

It is your choice as to whether you e-mail the guy.. in the meantime, we
will continue to offer this FREE service for all who choose to use it.

Mike H

> Now im confused, I was going to e mail the addy
> that "anon" left, shall i not now?
> Who is the person who answers the problems in this
> newsgroup, I still cant find my firewall by the way!!!!!
> help
> Mandy

Click the START button, chose HELP/SUPPORT and a new window will open.
Type FIREWALL in the search field and press arrow field. One of the
first hits will be "how to enable the windows firewall".