Outlook, Hotmail, Messenger, and XP Service Pack 2

I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.

Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
Explorer.

Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
fix this!

misfit815@hotmail.com
4 answers Last reply
More about outlook hotmail messenger service pack

    "J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
    > grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
    > when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
    >
    > Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
    > longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
    > I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
    > Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
    > for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
    > engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
    > like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
    > fix this!

    > misfit815@hotmail.com

    Microsoft has decided to transfer some functionality from
    Windows Messenger to MSN Messenger 6.2; use that or

    since version 4.7 of Windows Messenger is upgraded by
    SP2, you can go to download #49, I think, at microsoft's
    website and download the previous version of Windows
    Messenger and replace the newer version provided by SP2.

    Greetings J,

    The Windows Messenger version within SP2 no longer supports Hotmail, which is why you're no
    longer seeing the alerts.

    To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from here:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4

    You'll also probably need the Hotmail Add-In:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738f90c1-755e-433a-bcd3-0f9d0a705f55
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1b0c01c4a660$eff9c010$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
    > grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
    > when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
    >
    > Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
    > longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
    > I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
    > Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
    > for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
    > engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
    > like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
    > fix this!

    > misfit815@hotmail.com

    Makes a lot of sense, I guess they want people to switch to msn.
    Amazing they have something that works, then they have to mess it up.
    > Greetings J,
    >
    > The Windows Messenger version within SP2 no longer supports Hotmail, which
    > is why you're no
    > longer seeing the alerts.
    >
    > To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from
    > here:
    > http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4
    >
    > You'll also probably need the Hotmail Add-In:
    > http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738f90c1-755e-433a-bcd3-0f9d0a705f55
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
    >> grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
    >> when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
    >>
    >> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
    >> longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
    >> I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
    >> Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
    >> for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
    >> Explorer.
    >>
    >> Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
    >> engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
    >> like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
    >> fix this!

    >> misfit815@hotmail.com

    Hi,

    Well, it wasn't my decision =)
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    > Makes a lot of sense, I guess they want people to switch to msn.
    > Amazing they have something that works, then they have to mess it up.
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings J,
    >>
    >> The Windows Messenger version within SP2 no longer supports Hotmail, which is why you're
    >> no
    >> longer seeing the alerts.
    >>
    >> To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from here:
    >> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4
    >>
    >> You'll also probably need the Hotmail Add-In:
    >> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738f90c1-755e-433a-bcd3-0f9d0a705f55
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
    >>> grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
    >>> when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
    >>>
    >>> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
    >>> longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
    >>> I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
    >>> Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
    >>> for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
    >>> Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
    >>> engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
    >>> like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
    >>> fix this!

    >>> misfit815@hotmail.com

Hotmail Messenger Email Windows XP