Outlook, Hotmail, Messenger, and XP Service Pack 2

September 29, 2004 5:14:34 PM

I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.

Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
Explorer.

Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
fix this!

misfit815@hotmail.com
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:01:19 PM

"J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
> grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
> when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
>
> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
> longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
> I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
> Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
> for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
> engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
> like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
> fix this!

> misfit815@hotmail.com

Microsoft has decided to transfer some functionality from
Windows Messenger to MSN Messenger 6.2; use that or

since version 4.7 of Windows Messenger is upgraded by
SP2, you can go to download #49, I think, at microsoft's
website and download the previous version of Windows
Messenger and replace the newer version provided by SP2.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 10:06:05 PM

Greetings J,

The Windows Messenger version within SP2 no longer supports Hotmail, which is why you're no
longer seeing the alerts.

To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from here:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b4...

You'll also probably need the Hotmail Add-In:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73...
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1b0c01c4a660$eff9c010$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
> grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
> when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
>
> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
> longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
> I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
> Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
> for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
> engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
> like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
> fix this!

> misfit815@hotmail.com

September 30, 2004 12:23:16 AM

Makes a lot of sense, I guess they want people to switch to msn.
Amazing they have something that works, then they have to mess it up.
news:o 0ttJCnpEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Greetings J,
>
> The Windows Messenger version within SP2 no longer supports Hotmail, which
> is why you're no
> longer seeing the alerts.
>
> To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from
> here:
> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b4...
>
> You'll also probably need the Hotmail Add-In:
> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73...
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "J" <misfit815@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been using Windows Messenger for years, and have
>> grown very accustomed to the popup window that sprouts
>> when I receive a new email in my Hotmail account.
>>
>> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, the popup no
>> longer appears. Also, (and I know this is related) when
>> I right-click on the Messenger icon and select "My E-mail
>> Inbox", it opens Outlook (which I've also used for years
>> for my corporate email), instead of Hotmail in Internet
>> Explorer.
>>
>> Now, I'm a well-educated, technically savvy software
>> engineer, but this problem's got me whining and crying
>> like a noob. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to
>> fix this!

>> misfit815@hotmail.com

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:11:29 PM