Messenger Display Name greyed out

Justin

I am trying to change the display name in Windows Messenger Version 4.7, but
the Display name is greyed out. I have tried everything I can think of to
change it w/ no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, this is my wife's account and her email address is in the
display name (which is greyed out), however, on my personal account, mine is
working fine on the same computer and messenger using the .net service.

Greetings Justin,

It is grayed out because she has not verified her .NET Passport. In order to solve this,
you'll need to click on the verification link in the verification e-mail that will be sent to
that address from Passport services after you sign up. Assuming it's already been 48-hours
since she signed up and she has not received the e-mail, or she deleted or never received it,
she'll simply request another one from Passport Services here:
http://register.passport.net/contactus.srf
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert