Uninstalling

For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
auto, but then people start messaging in game and
everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?
8 answers Last reply
More about uninstalling

    windows, but have you tried to take it out of startup
    group through msconfig? As long as you have setup in the
    messenger options not to start with windows, that should
    work though.

    Try this, but only do as instructed here:
    Go to start, run, and type in msconfig. A dialoge box
    should open up. Find & click on the "startup" tab. Then
    look for messenger and uncheck it. This should take it
    out of startup when windows starts. You should be
    prompted to reboot your machine for the change to take
    effect.

    Make sure you do not have it set (in messenger) to start
    when windows starts. Otherwise it will add another
    messenger to the startup group in msconfig and your
    problem will not be solved.

    Hope this helps!

    Hi Kevin,

    You cannot disable Windows Messenger using MSConfig; it will not work.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Kevin" <kmitchell34@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]

    Greetings Torgar,

    You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
    Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
    Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
    version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
    to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
    features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
    but it will let it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Torgar" <druid1337@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
    > opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
    > change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
    > auto, but then people start messaging in game and
    > everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089&Product=winxp

    "Torgar" wrote:

    > For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
    > opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
    > change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
    > auto, but then people start messaging in game and
    > everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?

    All of this is very true and you're right. Messenger
    cannot be taken out through msconfig. I really wasn't
    sure which version he was running anywho, so I guess I
    shouldn't really be giving advise until I have all the
    facts.
    It's been a while since I've done much trouble shooting.
    I used to frequent this place often for valuable info and
    to help out if I could. Were there ever any versions of
    messenger you could disable this way, or that you had to?

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Torgar" <druid1337@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows
    messanger
    >> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
    >> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
    >> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
    >> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows
    messanger?

    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    No XP-installable version has ever supported this.

    > All of this is very true and you're right. Messenger
    > cannot be taken out through msconfig. I really wasn't
    > sure which version he was running anywho, so I guess I
    > shouldn't really be giving advise until I have all the
    > facts.
    > It's been a while since I've done much trouble shooting.
    > I used to frequent this place often for valuable info and
    > to help out if I could. Were there ever any versions of
    > messenger you could disable this way, or that you had to?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi! Did you ever get your MSN uninstalled? I need you help if you did. Thanks
    Allie

    "Torgar" wrote:

    > For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
    > opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
    > change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
    > auto, but then people start messaging in game and
    > everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Allie,

    If you're referring to MSN Messenger, you can uninstall it by going to the Add or Remove
    Programs in the Control Panel. Otherwise for Windows Messenger, simply close down Messenger
    if it's running (right click the messenger icon in the notification area/system tray and
    click close). Then click the start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you
    like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! Did you ever get your MSN uninstalled? I need you help if you did. Thanks
    > Allie
    >
    > "Torgar" wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
    >> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
    >> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
    >> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
    >> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?

Windows XP