Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Uninstalling

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
auto, but then people start messaging in game and
everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?

More about : uninstalling

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:59:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
>opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
>change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
>auto, but then people start messaging in game and
>everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows
messanger?
>.
>I'm not sure about uninstalling it since it is part of
windows, but have you tried to take it out of startup
group through msconfig? As long as you have setup in the
messenger options not to start with windows, that should
work though.

Try this, but only do as instructed here:
Go to start, run, and type in msconfig. A dialoge box
should open up. Find & click on the "startup" tab. Then
look for messenger and uncheck it. This should take it
out of startup when windows starts. You should be
prompted to reboot your machine for the change to take
effect.

Make sure you do not have it set (in messenger) to start
when windows starts. Otherwise it will add another
messenger to the startup group in msconfig and your
problem will not be solved.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 6:33:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Kevin,

You cannot disable Windows Messenger using MSConfig; it will not work.
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Kevin" <kmitchell34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:038c01c4a741$20ea37f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
>>opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
>>change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
>>auto, but then people start messaging in game and
>>everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows
> messanger?
>>.
>>I'm not sure about uninstalling it since it is part of
> windows, but have you tried to take it out of startup
> group through msconfig? As long as you have setup in the
> messenger options not to start with windows, that should
> work though.
>
> Try this, but only do as instructed here:
> Go to start, run, and type in msconfig. A dialoge box
> should open up. Find & click on the "startup" tab. Then
> look for messenger and uncheck it. This should take it
> out of startup when windows starts. You should be
> prompted to reboot your machine for the change to take
> effect.
>
> Make sure you do not have it set (in messenger) to start
> when windows starts. Otherwise it will add another
> messenger to the startup group in msconfig and your
> problem will not be solved.
>
> Hope this helps!
Related resources
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 6:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings Torgar,

You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Torgar" <druid1337@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:283201c4a739$af478190$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 8:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089&Product=winxp


"Torgar" wrote:

> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?
>
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 3:46:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

All of this is very true and you're right. Messenger
cannot be taken out through msconfig. I really wasn't
sure which version he was running anywho, so I guess I
shouldn't really be giving advise until I have all the
facts.
It's been a while since I've done much trouble shooting.
I used to frequent this place often for valuable info and
to help out if I could. Were there ever any versions of
messenger you could disable this way, or that you had to?


>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings Torgar,
>
>You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do
so, open it up (click Start, then
>Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options,
Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
>Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
when Windows starts' (depending on
>version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the
background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
>to run in the background' (depending on version). This
won't remove Windows Messenger, so
>features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and
Application Sharing will continue to work,
>but it will let it stay out of your way.
>
>Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent
versions of Norton Antivirus added a
>new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can
conflict with Messenger and cause it to
>also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus
(Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
>icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the
clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
>click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN
Instant Messenger and click OK.
>____________________________________________
>Jonathan Kay
>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>Associate Expert
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004
Jonathan Kay.
>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>
>"Torgar" <druid1337@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:283201c4a739$af478190$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows
messanger
>> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
>> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
>> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
>> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows
messanger?
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 1:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

No XP-installable version has ever supported this.
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"kevin" <kmitchell34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:28a401c4a84b$859a1de0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> All of this is very true and you're right. Messenger
> cannot be taken out through msconfig. I really wasn't
> sure which version he was running anywho, so I guess I
> shouldn't really be giving advise until I have all the
> facts.
> It's been a while since I've done much trouble shooting.
> I used to frequent this place often for valuable info and
> to help out if I could. Were there ever any versions of
> messenger you could disable this way, or that you had to?
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Greetings Torgar,
>>
>>You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do
> so, open it up (click Start, then
>>Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options,
> Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
>>Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
> when Windows starts' (depending on
>>version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the
> background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
>>to run in the background' (depending on version). This
> won't remove Windows Messenger, so
>>features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and
> Application Sharing will continue to work,
>>but it will let it stay out of your way.
>>
>>Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent
> versions of Norton Antivirus added a
>>new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can
> conflict with Messenger and cause it to
>>also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus
> (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
>>icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the
> clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
>>click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN
> Instant Messenger and click OK.
>>____________________________________________
>>Jonathan Kay
>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>Associate Expert
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004
> Jonathan Kay.
>>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>
>>"Torgar" <druid1337@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:283201c4a739$af478190$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows
> messanger
>>> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
>>> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
>>> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
>>> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows
> messanger?
>>
>>
>>.
>>
December 19, 2004 9:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi! Did you ever get your MSN uninstalled? I need you help if you did. Thanks
Allie

"Torgar" wrote:

> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?
>
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:47:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Allie,

If you're referring to MSN Messenger, you can uninstall it by going to the Add or Remove
Programs in the Control Panel. Otherwise for Windows Messenger, simply close down Messenger
if it's running (right click the messenger icon in the notification area/system tray and
click close). Then click the start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you
like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.


"Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A20144AE-D53E-4E89-B5EA-F31109E6571E@microsoft.com...
> Hi! Did you ever get your MSN uninstalled? I need you help if you did. Thanks
> Allie
>
> "Torgar" wrote:
>
>> For some reason, whenever i start up xp windows messanger
>> opens up automatically, but there's no way that i can
>> change it. I have it so msn messenger doesn't start up
>> auto, but then people start messaging in game and
>> everything lags up. So how do i uninstall windows messanger?
>>
!