sound causes game to crash

Last response: in Video Games
August 18, 2004 11:59:53 PM

my CIV3 closes at the high point of the game because of the sound. any
ideas?

More about : sound game crash

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:45:56 PM

> my CIV3 closes at the high point of the game because of the sound. any
> ideas?

Do you mean you've tried disabling all sound on your system and Civ3 doesn't
crash anymore, and once sound is enabled, Civ3 crashes?

In that case, I'd recommend doing a DirectX Diagnosis... click Start, select
Run. Type "dxdiag" and press Enter. A program will launch. Click yes if it
ask you to check drivers are MS certified or not. Then let it run... after
it is done, go to each tabs and run the tests. Then post the output (there
should be a Save All Information button). A sound card driver update is also
recommended.

Otherwise, how do you know it's the sound causing problems?
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:12:38 PM

St. Michael <janinesotherlover@yahoo.ca> skrev i meddelelsen

> my CIV3 closes at the high point of the game because of the sound. any
> ideas?

How is your PC configured? (amount of RAM, processor, vid&soundcards etc.?)
Which version of CIV3? Patched? PTW or Conquests installed?
Is this a new problem, or has it always been like that?
Some more info would be helpful.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

In article <2oibi6FaqfimU1@uni-berlin.de>, my@privacy.net says...
> > my CIV3 closes at the high point of the game because of the sound. any
> > ideas?
>
> Do you mean you've tried disabling all sound on your system and Civ3 doesn't
> crash anymore, and once sound is enabled, Civ3 crashes?
>
> In that case, I'd recommend doing a DirectX Diagnosis... click Start, select
> Run. Type "dxdiag" and press Enter. A program will launch. Click yes if it
> ask you to check drivers are MS certified or not. Then let it run... after
> it is done, go to each tabs and run the tests. Then post the output (there
> should be a Save All Information button). A sound card driver update is also
> recommended.
>
> Otherwise, how do you know it's the sound causing problems?

Running civ3 v1.29f.
With Civ3 sound disabled it does not crash. with it on it gives a message
which I did not write down but is something like civ3 sound failed civ3
will now close.
I ran "dxdiag" testing sound all fine except final message is "Your sound
card does not support harware buffering. Sound will only play back from
software buffers"
I will look for an updated sound card driver and get back to you. Thanks
very much.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:15:37 PM

In article <MPG.1b8ec484e74136dc989681@nntp>, St. Michael <janinesotherlover@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>Running civ3 v1.29f.
>With Civ3 sound disabled it does not crash. with it on it gives a message
>which I did not write down but is something like civ3 sound failed civ3
>will now close.

It sounds (sorry) like you are missing a sound _file_. I get messages like
that when I mod units and don't get them quite right.

Have you installed any third party mods or added any units?

>I ran "dxdiag" testing sound all fine except final message is "Your sound
>card does not support harware buffering. Sound will only play back from
>software buffers"
>I will look for an updated sound card driver and get back to you. Thanks
>very much.

Mike G
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:24:23 PM

In article <cg2u42$ql6$1@news01.cit.cornell.edu>,
mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu says...
> In article <MPG.1b8ec484e74136dc989681@nntp>, St. Michael <janinesotherlover@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >Running civ3 v1.29f.
> >With Civ3 sound disabled it does not crash. with it on it gives a message
> >which I did not write down but is something like civ3 sound failed civ3
> >will now close.
>
> It sounds (sorry) like you are missing a sound _file_. I get messages like
> that when I mod units and don't get them quite right.
>
> Have you installed any third party mods or added any units?
>
> >I ran "dxdiag" testing sound all fine except final message is "Your sound
> >card does not support harware buffering. Sound will only play back from
> >software buffers"
> >I will look for an updated sound card driver and get back to you. Thanks
> >very much.
>

> Mike G

No mike its virgin vanilla I only had it a few months and I haven't
started to modify it yet.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 6:33:27 PM

St. Michael <janinesotherlover@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b8d7fd2f29a0fc5989680@nntp>...
> my CIV3 closes at the high point of the game because of the sound. any
> ideas?

I had that problem on my old machine under both Civ III & Conquests.
(Built in 1998) almost assurely no longer supported by the manufactor.
Evidently fixed on my new machine I bought a couple of weeks ago. I
guess the faster CPU, additional memory, and additional VRAM compared
to the old machine and perhaps even XP Home Edition instead of Windows
98 (1st version) all help.

Basically I turned off the music, but left the sound effects on and
when the sound effects starting repeating, I'd save it at next
oppertunity, reboot the machine, and carry on.

There is an autosave, so the worst that can happen is you have to
repeat orders from that point.
September 1, 2004 4:23:03 PM

For your sound card, go in dxdiag, sound panel. Set Hardware sound
acceleration level to No acceleration. Maybe this will fix the
problem. Of course, latest driver, latest directX and windows XP will
help.

BTW, I had a sound problem with conquests. There was an error that
causes a crash when the game tried to play "Death Kight.wav" sound.
You must install the latest patch for vanilla, PTW and Conquests. The
three patches are necessary if you have conquests.

Good luck
!