Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Jeff Minter/LLamaSoft Old Games

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:56:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

I would be surprised if this site has not appeared here before, but here
it is:

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/

Jeff Minter's old games have kept me amused for nearly 20 years now. How
many modern games will be available, even on the most comprehensive
download links, in 2025? LLamaTron 2000 in particular, a DOS port from
an Amiga original, has done more for this insomniac than any medicine,
and I don't mean it sends me to sleep. Rather that it is one hell of a
better way of going crazy than lying in bed looking at the ceiling for
the regulation 8 hours

DOS? What's that? Never mind. It works just fine on Windows XP. My
ancient copy doesn't even come with instructions, but just fiddle about
with the spacebar and arrow keys and you'll figure it out PDQ. My one
and only regret is that as the CPUs have gotten quicker it has become
more difficult to really hit the 2nd and 3rd levels, each of which
consists of many smaller sequences. Once, I reached over 3,000,000 in
the high scores. Now I have to settle for a measly 1,500,000 - Too quick

I'll not spoil it for you, but you'll love those weird mutant invaders.
Try not to think too hard about the mothership in the form of a giant
lavatory, or about the ammunition - Toilet rolls are the least of your
problems when it comes to hostile missiles. As for the LLama's firing
systems, well, they don't use conventional delivery methods

Oh, buggrit, go see for yourselves

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
btconnect.com
July 29, 2005 3:56:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

filthy-mcnasty wrote:
> I would be surprised if this site has not appeared here before, but here
> it is:
>
> http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/
>
> Jeff Minter's old games have kept me amused for nearly 20 years now. How
> many modern games will be available, even on the most comprehensive
> download links, in 2025? LLamaTron 2000 in particular, a DOS port from
> an Amiga original, has done more for this insomniac than any medicine,
> and I don't mean it sends me to sleep. Rather that it is one hell of a
> better way of going crazy than lying in bed looking at the ceiling for
> the regulation 8 hours
>
> DOS? What's that? Never mind. It works just fine on Windows XP. My
> ancient copy doesn't even come with instructions, but just fiddle about
> with the spacebar and arrow keys and you'll figure it out PDQ. My one
> and only regret is that as the CPUs have gotten quicker it has become
> more difficult to really hit the 2nd and 3rd levels, each of which
> consists of many smaller sequences. Once, I reached over 3,000,000 in
> the high scores. Now I have to settle for a measly 1,500,000 - Too quick
>
> I'll not spoil it for you, but you'll love those weird mutant invaders.
> Try not to think too hard about the mothership in the form of a giant
> lavatory, or about the ammunition - Toilet rolls are the least of your
> problems when it comes to hostile missiles. As for the LLama's firing
> systems, well, they don't use conventional delivery methods
>
> Oh, buggrit, go see for yourselves
>

Thanks for the link, I've not seen or heard of Jeff in a long time.


--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://rtdos.com/community.htm ( retro computing community )
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:45:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

Fried my brain for many hours playing Llamatron on an Atari ST.


"(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
news:9uCdnTkOQc3NIHTfRVn-oQ@bresnan.com...
> filthy-mcnasty wrote:
>> I would be surprised if this site has not appeared here before, but here
>> it is:
>>
>> http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/
>>
>> Jeff Minter's old games have kept me amused for nearly 20 years now. How
>> many modern games will be available, even on the most comprehensive
>> download links, in 2025? LLamaTron 2000 in particular, a DOS port from
>> an Amiga original, has done more for this insomniac than any medicine,
>> and I don't mean it sends me to sleep. Rather that it is one hell of a
>> better way of going crazy than lying in bed looking at the ceiling for
>> the regulation 8 hours
>>
>> DOS? What's that? Never mind. It works just fine on Windows XP. My
>> ancient copy doesn't even come with instructions, but just fiddle about
>> with the spacebar and arrow keys and you'll figure it out PDQ. My one and
>> only regret is that as the CPUs have gotten quicker it has become more
>> difficult to really hit the 2nd and 3rd levels, each of which consists of
>> many smaller sequences. Once, I reached over 3,000,000 in the high
>> scores. Now I have to settle for a measly 1,500,000 - Too quick
>>
>> I'll not spoil it for you, but you'll love those weird mutant invaders.
>> Try not to think too hard about the mothership in the form of a giant
>> lavatory, or about the ammunition - Toilet rolls are the least of your
>> problems when it comes to hostile missiles. As for the LLama's firing
>> systems, well, they don't use conventional delivery methods
>>
>> Oh, buggrit, go see for yourselves
>>
>
> Thanks for the link, I've not seen or heard of Jeff in a long time.
>
>
> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://rtdos.com/community.htm ( retro computing community )
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:40:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

filthy-mcnasty wrote:
> I would be surprised if this site has not appeared here before, but here
> it is:
>
> http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/
>
> --- My one
> and only regret is that as the CPUs have gotten quicker it has become
> more difficult to really hit the 2nd and 3rd levels, each of which
> consists of many smaller sequences. Once, I reached over 3,000,000 in
> the high scores. Now I have to settle for a measly 1,500,000 - Too quick
>

Does anyone know of a freeware cpu-slowdown program like mo'slo?

Google finds mo'slow at http://www.hpaa.com/moslo
then finds a freeware version at:

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/util...

so to avoid any confusion about price, I'm looking for a different
program that is published as freeware.


technomaNge
--
(Stolen from:) Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."
[My donkey would like a midget and a yacht, please.]
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:57:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
continuum as technomaNge <piracy@microsoft.com> revealed in
news:yLBGe.40087$sJ4.31869@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

> Does anyone know of a freeware cpu-slowdown program like mo'slo?
>

I'm just looking for a prog called CPU Killer, however this is an
extract from the Mo'Slo 1.32 docs:

You may use the Software free of charge for personal recreation
that is not part of any profit-making enterprise. All other use,
including but not limited to use within commercial or governmental
organizations and use as part of any development or testing
procedure for a commercial product or service, requires purchase
of a commercial or site license, EXCEPT that one copy of the
Software may be used for a period of 15 days to evaluate its
fitness for your needs.

http://www.jaelus.com/files/moslo132.zip

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
btconnect.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:44:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

technomaNge wrote:

>
> Does anyone know of a freeware cpu-slowdown program like mo'slo?
>
>
>
> technomaNge



Completing a 386 or a 486 would be much more cheaper than running a
100W and more CPU. Technomage.



Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 1:27:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

In alt.comp.freeware.games "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the link, I've not seen or heard of Jeff in a long time.

He's apparently doing XBOX360 stuff. (Bleh! Why not PS3? :^) )

--
-bill! Picn*x14 --- Linux Anniversary Picnic & BBQ!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th
http://newbreedsoftware.com/ http://linuxpicnic.org/ to RSVP & volunteer!
!