Minimum psu for ATI 9700

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
My manual said minimum of 300W. Maybe if you had a really good PSU such as Enermax or Antec and have only a few drives installed you might be fine with 300W. I use 350W

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
300 watt might cut it if it´s a brand name one, Antec or Enermax being the recomended ones. Not sure about that AOpen, worth a shoot though.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Mines a 300 watt no name, just a blue sticker that says "300". It weighs almost nothings infact, its like there are no components in the PSU at all. I run 3 hard drives an athlon 2100 and a 9700pro with no problems at all.

Dont rush out and buy a new PSU untill theres a problem with the one you have now.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
AOpen is a mobo brand name. It is quite a known name also. I believe they make good PSUs even if not as popular as Enermax or Antec. I have a Codegen 350W PSU and I have AXP 2200+, 3 HDD, 1 CD, AIW 9700 Pro. So far I haven't seen any problems pertaining to PSU. Unless if your computer auto-restarts after playing a game for like 4 hours is caused by the PSU. It could be my vidcard overheating? Driver problems? So far that's the only problem I am having with my AIW 9700 Pro with a 350W PSU.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Yes I know AOpen as a brand, they make CD-drives too, I think. I was just saying that I don´t think they´re quite as known as in the other departments.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I have used an AOpen PS/2 mouse.....died after using three weeks

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I don´t think they´re quite as known as in the other departments.

IIRC (i have cable :smile: ), a friend bought a new phone modem the other day and was told by a tech that in his experience AOpen makes the best quality modem (for a software modem, that is). I'd never heard this before but he's had it for about a month now and it works well, plus it was pretty cheap.

I don't know much about their PSUs, but they do more then CDROMs well I can say for sure.

-Col.Kiwi

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I think a-open PSU is just a re-branded "lowest bidder" generic PSU.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
They make complete PC systems!
This isn´t too hard. I could just build PC´s and order some sweet looking "Ghostdog"-stickers, then I would also be "making" complete PC systems.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
But nobody knows you, that's the difference. The fact is AOpen has been around long and they are known on making mobos, even THG reviews their mobos. If we are still discussing the reliability of AOpen I think this company is pretty much ok. We haven't heard anything bad about them yet, either because nobody buys their stuff, anybody who buys their stuff knows they are buying low quality stuff and doesn't feel the need to complain.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Mines a 300 watt no name, just a blue sticker that says "300". It weighs almost nothings infact, its like there are no components in the PSU at all. I run 3 hard drives an athlon 2100 and a 9700pro with no problems at all.
I do not own a 9700 and only started this post in hopes of getting one response like yours.

Power supplies are by far the most poorly manufactured part of our computers, which is why we all believe in buying more, paying more, getting the best brand whatever the price, buying 450W when we need 280W. We do these things in order to make up for our industry's inability to make a consistent product in this one area. Bloaty got lucky, and now he has what we all want.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Unfortunatly most people have to rely on the little blue "300 watt" sticker on the side of the PSU, but ultimatly the price sticker wins in most eyes(it won in my eye's =P ).
I dont know much about PSU's but you cant always trust the watt rating on them. My 300 watt PSU might catch fire at a 300 watt load but my computer doesnt need that much power anyway.