Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Messenger Plus! - Let's focus on another Sacred Cow for a ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect Messenger
Plus! now...

Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm

Ready, steady, GO!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

"There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:19:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Well, what a nice coincidence. For those interested in the subject,
I'm currently working on another, more clear version of the sponsor
agreement window. More information available on the Messenger Plus!
forum at http://msgplus.mybboard.com .

As for your article Sandi, it's well written, I guess you're right on
some points but I think you exagerate on some things, especially the
"sponsor" term part... writing "lop.com" would be much more misleading
than "sponsor" as most people have no idea what "lop.com" is. And,
while I'm at it, the company name is not lop.com but C2Media :) .

Anyway, just know that I'm really trying my best to please everyone,
it's not like I was happy reading what I read sometimes about my
software (or myself) on some forums :p .

Patchou

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uH2Lf66pEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect Messenger
> Plus! now...
>
> Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
>
> Ready, steady, GO!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>
> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
>
> "There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

I just saw this updated on your site and I thought I had to reply...

>Why that name and not C2 Media? Because C2 Media describes
>the owner, not the product, because there is more than one
>C2 Media company out there, and because lop.com is how the
>software is commonly identified in various support forums,
>newsgroups, online support sites and how it is identified in
>anti-spyware programmes.

lop.com is just the name of one of the sites of C2Media, it is
absolutely not the name of the product. Feel free to compare my
package with old ones under named lop.com, you'll see that they are
completely different. And you say it yourself, lop.com is known by
many anti-spyware programs and they are the same products that screw
up the uninstall data of the sponsor, preventing some epople from
really uninstalling it. How could it be my fault if some programs
think they can outsmart the uninstall software ofwhat they're trying
to remove? if you have some complains, send send to the Adaware and
Spybot people. Instead of blindly removing files and registry keys
they could simply display a nice message asking the user to the
program. I'm really not to blame here, I'm taking a lot of time
ensuring the uninstaller does work and you have to understand that
there's nothing C2Media can do about third party removing their stuff
half way. Try to remove a couple of important registr keys related to
MS Office and launch the uninstaller, you'll have the same problem,
and it's true for any other software.

Finally, as for "lop.com", "sponsor" and "C2Media", I still stand on
my point that "sponsor" is what informs people the best way. lop.com
and C2Media are not terms you see in the dictionnary and most people
don't spend their time in anti-adware forums, you should try to
understand that. I'm doing my best to satisfy everyone here, if I
didn't care I wouldn't spend all this time replying to posts such as
yours, I wish some people could realise that. The same thing goes for
C2Media, if they were as horrible as you pretend, their software would
install once and for all on your system, like so many other adware do,
without any way to remove it (except relying on third party programs).
I think everyone should start making a difference between legitimate
adware to support a program you use every day and spyware invading
your system.

Patchou


> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uH2Lf66pEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> > Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect Messenger
> > Plus! now...
> >
> > Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
> >
> > Ready, steady, GO!
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
> >
> > WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
> >
> > What You Should Know About Spyware
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
> >
> > "There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:01:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uH2Lf66pEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm

(Reply aimed at Sandi)
I'm sorry, but that article is not fully technically accurate, and is
also unfair to those of us in the Plus community.

Patchou is committed to his users (all 6 million+ of them), and won't
sacrifice his or the product's reputation for a bit of extra money. He
listens to his users, and the forum members, and tries to find the
best compromise. It is this that has lead to Plus being the most
respected, popular, and well-known Messenger add-on.

As for the forum members themselves, of which I am one (about a year
as of this post, and nearly 1000 posts on the forum), those who post
regularly are some of the most helpful and patient people around. We
are all *voluntarily* here to help. If that's not appreciated, then we
can just disappear. But you don't want that, do you? ;) 

At the end of the day, you can't turn around and slag someone and
their product off just because of an optional sponsor. Nor can you
slag off the forum members for getting a little fed up with the 10
gazillionth "msn plus iz spywarez" thread from someone who clearly did
not read the installer.

Basically, be a bit more tolerant and informed.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 8:47:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

For those wondering what all the flap is about regarding lop.com, please see
the following links:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/lop.html

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/lop/

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/june-200...
(dated, admittedly, but even the current version of MP gives you a "drive
by" install of lop.com)

What Users Say (Good & Bad) About MP
http://www.download.com/3302-2150_4-10320442.html

<quote>
26-Sep-2004 03:22:12 PM
"I've used this program for 3 years now."
This is awsome software that is now into the third version. I've used it
from version 1.2 without any complaintes. it actually runs more stable than
msn messenger itself. For all the people who complain about the OPTIONAL
sponsor it should just teach you to actually READ the EULA :) . if you did
click to fast it is fully documented on how to remove it. This software
would be perfect without the sponsor but then patchou would be living in the
street. get over it you selfish people.
</quote>

<quote>
26-Sep-2004 06:52:12 AM
"Sponsor disguised as a EULA to trick people into installing..."
Although Patchou and his flock of sheep try to convince people that the
sponsor is easily uninstalled, this is not the case for everyone... Yet
Patchou and these 'loyal' forum members choose to show nothing but ignorance
and arrogance towards anyone who tries to say that uninstalling and
reinstalling plus, does NOT remove the sponsor... As a previous beta tester
and previous 'loyal' follower of Patchou and this software, I can guarantee
that the sponsor does NOT always uninstall without the help of third party
software such as Adaware... Patchou now makes enough money from people being
'tricked' into installing the sponsor, that greed has taken over and he no
longer cares about the users of his software... Although Plus is a good
addon for MSN, I advise people to take particular care when installing so as
to avoid the installation of what is definitely spyware... I don't know who
you are trying to kid, Patchou, but it is just that...spyware... It is not a
toolbar like the google toolbar... It is intrusive and very hard to get rid
of... Therefore, it is nothing but spyware...
</quote>

IMO Pachou is to be congratulated for attempting to clarify his relationship
with C2 Media (who *still* subtly bury malware in what's called a 'drive by'
install)

Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear wrote:
> Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect Messenger
> Plus! now...
>
> Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
>
> Ready, steady, GO!
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

"raceprouk" <raceprouk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:98e97aa9.0410030001.269a3510@posting.google.com...

> (Reply aimed at Sandi)
> I'm sorry, but that article is not fully technically accurate, and is
> also unfair to those of us in the Plus community.

If you would like to advise what part of the article you think is not
technically accurate, I'm more than happy to investigate.

--
_______________________________________
Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:56:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 2u9rWSqEHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

I'm not replying directly to you, yours is just the post I landed on when I
hit "Reply Group".

I have been using MsgPlus since Jan 2003 (Pre C2Media) by a friend of mine.
The features that MsgPlus provided to the average Messenger user were great,
and Patchou has gone out of his way to add more features and improve the GUI
so that more people can use these features even easier.

I do not install the sponsor on my home PC as it is also the main home PC
that my kids have access to. While I do not doubt Patchou's word about
having the C2Media installer cut right down to keep as much of the 'usual'
stuff out of it, I don't trust my kids (7yr, 5yr & 4yr) not to click on
something that appears on screen if my back is turned for 5 seconds.

Since C2Media has come onboard with Patchou I have always installed the
sponsor program on my initial install, then removed MsgPlus and reinstalled
it without the sponsor, and I have had no problems whatsoever with
everything being removed from my fave list and my homepage being put back to
rights.

Below is a post I made to the MsgPlus boards.
===
You've got my vote Patchou. I've just had people on a game website
messageboard giving MsgPlus a slammin, so I jumped in and corrected them
about the optional sponsor, etc...

This project makes Messenger worth using. If we waited for M$ to come out
with the same level or quality of features on their own, I know that I for
one would be old and grey before that would even happen.

I freely and openly offer a mirror download link for your program of every
release since just before MP2! (IIRC), & there is nothing I can read that
will convince me that I am helping a "software criminal".

Keep up the work, try to let these attacks against your person pass you by,
and be the bigger and better man by rising above the level of these ignorant
bigots that wish to attack you and your work.

How many people install Kazaa, yet don't complain about the amount of
garbage it forcibly installs onto a computer? I wonder how many of their
userbase have written nasty emails with personal scathing attacks against
the software creator, etc...!

Plus gives people the option of a sponsor package being installed, yet
Patchou gets branded as worse than Satan because of it. Gimme a break!
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:16:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

I'm with you 1000% Brian, Good work Patchou.


--

Earl

"Brian!" <bmtaylor@blueyonder.ku.oc> wrote in message
news:tVh8d.2591$xb.967@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 2u9rWSqEHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
> I'm not replying directly to you, yours is just the post I landed on when
> I
> hit "Reply Group".
>
> I have been using MsgPlus since Jan 2003 (Pre C2Media) by a friend of
> mine.
> The features that MsgPlus provided to the average Messenger user were
> great,
> and Patchou has gone out of his way to add more features and improve the
> GUI
> so that more people can use these features even easier.
>
> I do not install the sponsor on my home PC as it is also the main home PC
> that my kids have access to. While I do not doubt Patchou's word about
> having the C2Media installer cut right down to keep as much of the 'usual'
> stuff out of it, I don't trust my kids (7yr, 5yr & 4yr) not to click on
> something that appears on screen if my back is turned for 5 seconds.
>
> Since C2Media has come onboard with Patchou I have always installed the
> sponsor program on my initial install, then removed MsgPlus and
> reinstalled
> it without the sponsor, and I have had no problems whatsoever with
> everything being removed from my fave list and my homepage being put back
> to
> rights.
>
> Below is a post I made to the MsgPlus boards.
> ===
> You've got my vote Patchou. I've just had people on a game website
> messageboard giving MsgPlus a slammin, so I jumped in and corrected them
> about the optional sponsor, etc...
>
> This project makes Messenger worth using. If we waited for M$ to come out
> with the same level or quality of features on their own, I know that I for
> one would be old and grey before that would even happen.
>
> I freely and openly offer a mirror download link for your program of every
> release since just before MP2! (IIRC), & there is nothing I can read that
> will convince me that I am helping a "software criminal".
>
> Keep up the work, try to let these attacks against your person pass you
> by,
> and be the bigger and better man by rising above the level of these
> ignorant
> bigots that wish to attack you and your work.
>
> How many people install Kazaa, yet don't complain about the amount of
> garbage it forcibly installs onto a computer? I wonder how many of their
> userbase have written nasty emails with personal scathing attacks against
> the software creator, etc...!
>
> Plus gives people the option of a sponsor package being installed, yet
> Patchou gets branded as worse than Satan because of it. Gimme a break!
>
>
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:01:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

"Patchou" <mplus@patchou.com> wrote in message
news:8cc9b488.0410041030.3e99345f@posting.google.com

> And Sandy,

Its Sandi thanks Patchou.

>why don't you stop updating your article to post your
> answers and start posting them in your own newsgroup thread?

It isn't *my* newsgroup thread. I didn't start it, and the only post I have
made to it apart from this one is a request for more information about
supposed 'technical inaccuracy' which I see has gone unanswered. I have
provided an email address for correspondence if you choose to use it.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure advice remains current
_______________________________________
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 6:57:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Well well, what a discussion. A discussion that I would never expect
to see. It's another fact that people don't check the sources and just
copy (or should I say "quote") people directly.

I've been using Messenger Plus! now for a long time. Yes, in the
beginning I was a click-o-matic as well, which means I just clicked
the 'Next' button as soon as possible. And yes, I screwed up my PC as
well with Adaware trying to remove the C2Media software. I blamed
Patchou (sorry ;-)) aswell for this.

Although, you shouldn't blame Patchou, you should blame yourself. He
gives you lots of new features for MSN and the only thing you have to
do is read the Sponsor agreement. You like it? Install the software
and everyone is happy! You don't? Don't install the software and
everyone is happy aswell!

As an owner of a MSN website I can tell you that there will never be
another (free?) addon for MSN Messenger that will be this popular as
Messenger Plus! is. Some people are trying/try it (MessengerDiscovery?
Messenger:Mate which is not free) but they will never get the same
respect as that Patchou has build in the last past years.

Alexander, webmaster of Scito.nl
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 12:51:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Sandi,

I just took a new look at your page and I see that you're continuing
to update your "article" with single line quotes taken from 2 page
posts and false information given to you by someone who has no clue of
what he's talking about. You even put a big "oh BOY" next to your
assumption, how nice is that. Hey, I have an idea, why do you wait for
people to give you something to quote if you don't care about the
facts behind it? I guess it would be quicker to just go one step above
and manufacture everything from A to Z by saying that the information
you're posting has not been confirmed or corroborated.. oh wait, you
already do that in your most recent updates, congratulations!

Sandi, you're despicable and go ahead, quote me on that if you wish.
Once again, I encourage anyone who would read her site to wonder how
she gets all these formidable conclusions and why she just continue to
post updates on her own web site instead of replying to a newsgroup
such as this one. I won't lower myself to your level by continuing to
reply to your web updates, anyone who read these posts and your site
with an open mind will quickly realise what a fraud you are.

While I'm at it, I'd like to point out something about the Google
Toolbar that you so fiercely defend in your recent update: instead of
testing their installer, why not testing the installer of their
clients? Take a look at the setup of DivX and have fun making
comparisons with my own.

I've been insulted many times since I added C2Media's package in my
software but your way of giving "information" is just way out of line.
I'm not posting these messages to defend my software but to make other
readers realise how easy and disgusting it is to make this kind of
page. I can only wish Microsoft would take a look at this and remove
you from the MVP program, you're a disgrace to all of us.

To all: don't be fooled with editorials such as Sandi's and always ask
yourself if the reason behind the author is really to be a hero of
justice or just try to increase his/her own "popularity". Any of you
could write the exactsame page about any other software, Sandi being
an MVP doesn't make her different than all of you.

Patchou

"PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uH2Lf66pEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect Messenger
> Plus! now...
>
> Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
>
> Ready, steady, GO!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>
> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>
> What You Should Know About Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
>
> "There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 4:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Information about Patchou's alleged income that was posted to this newsgroup
has already been removed from my web page, together with the bold font
warning that it could not be corroborated.

My first thinking was that the information is in the public domain anyway
and available via Google, which gets far more hits than my page, but it
wasn't right to put it in there, hence the removal. I went past simply
reporting on MP and the Sponsor Programme. For that I apologise.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure advice remains current
_______________________________________
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/



"Patchou" <mplus@patchou.com> wrote in message
news:8cc9b488.0410091951.1459f2b2@posting.google.com
> Sandi,
>
> I just took a new look at your page and I see that you're continuing
> to update your "article" with single line quotes taken from 2 page
> posts and false information given to you by someone who has no clue of
> what he's talking about. You even put a big "oh BOY" next to your
> assumption, how nice is that. Hey, I have an idea, why do you wait for
> people to give you something to quote if you don't care about the
> facts behind it? I guess it would be quicker to just go one step above
> and manufacture everything from A to Z by saying that the information
> you're posting has not been confirmed or corroborated.. oh wait, you
> already do that in your most recent updates, congratulations!
>
> Sandi, you're despicable and go ahead, quote me on that if you wish.
> Once again, I encourage anyone who would read her site to wonder how
> she gets all these formidable conclusions and why she just continue to
> post updates on her own web site instead of replying to a newsgroup
> such as this one. I won't lower myself to your level by continuing to
> reply to your web updates, anyone who read these posts and your site
> with an open mind will quickly realise what a fraud you are.
>
> While I'm at it, I'd like to point out something about the Google
> Toolbar that you so fiercely defend in your recent update: instead of
> testing their installer, why not testing the installer of their
> clients? Take a look at the setup of DivX and have fun making
> comparisons with my own.
>
> I've been insulted many times since I added C2Media's package in my
> software but your way of giving "information" is just way out of line.
> I'm not posting these messages to defend my software but to make other
> readers realise how easy and disgusting it is to make this kind of
> page. I can only wish Microsoft would take a look at this and remove
> you from the MVP program, you're a disgrace to all of us.
>
> To all: don't be fooled with editorials such as Sandi's and always ask
> yourself if the reason behind the author is really to be a hero of
> justice or just try to increase his/her own "popularity". Any of you
> could write the exactsame page about any other software, Sandi being
> an MVP doesn't make her different than all of you.
>
> Patchou
>
> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:<uH2Lf66pEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
>> Enough about the 'End of Free Hotmail' already. Let's dissect
>> Messenger Plus! now...
>>
>> Sandi's take on Messenger Plus!
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
>>
>> Ready, steady, GO!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>>
>> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>>
>> What You Should Know About Spyware
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...
>>
>> "There is no 'silver bullet' solution."
>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33131
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 5:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

Sandi,
I am wondering,
do you actually check what "information" you put on your Messenger Plus!
"Study" ?
You mention that it takes 36 HOURS for the sponsor to install,
I just checked on my win98 VMWare system and the icons and toolbar
appeared almost instantly. Either I must've been really bored and no
sense of time whatsoever, or you are just talking bullshit.
tell me, which is it?

Sandi - Microsoft MVP wrote:
> Information about Patchou's alleged income that was posted to this
> newsgroup has already been removed from my web page, together with the
> bold font warning that it could not be corroborated.
>
> My first thinking was that the information is in the public domain
> anyway and available via Google, which gets far more hits than my page,
> but it wasn't right to put it in there, hence the removal. I went past
> simply reporting on MP and the Sponsor Programme. For that I apologise.
>
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

>"Sandi - Microsoft MVP" <sandi_hardmeier@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 7VrCPorEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Information about Patchou's alleged income that was posted to this
newsgroup
> has already been removed from my web page

I see you're at it again Sandi. Update of 15th October.
==========
A person by the name of P, Cyril (cyrilpaciullo@popularemailprovider.com -
(***the email address has been changed to protect P. Cyril from spam and
flamemail***) is, at the date of writing this segment (15 October 2004), the
name behind www.msgplus.net
==========

Now while this is all well and good, during your synopsis you repost the
edited email address and then on the same line you inform people what to
replce your edited portion with in order to make it a valid address.

Slightly hypocrytical, wouldn't you say?
==========
Synopsis:
Secure Software, Inc = Cyril Paciullo/Paciullo Cyril, Alex Shamash and
Jason Lucas
www.msgplus net = P, Cyril (cyrilpaciullo@popularemailprovider.com - edited
address - replace popularemailprovider.com with ************** [removed
actual provider with FAR too many stars])
==========

Another thing, you keep going on about the useage statistics that MsgPlus
sends back to Patchou like it's a crime to see what features are being used
the most, so that he knows what to focus on for future releases.

I'm sure I've seen similar tick boxes on Messenger itself, as well as
Windows Media Player. It's ok for M$ to request stats on users habits, but
when Patchou request similar kinds of info (more than likely, it's less
intrusive than what WMP or MSN requests), it's not allowed? Also, the
option for user data for MSN and WMP is ON by default. I know this as I've
just done a system rebuild with XP and I had to turn these 'useage data'
tick boxes off myself after installing both Messenger (MSN and Windows
versions) and WMP10. Oops, another point of your argument against MsgPlus
out the window.

For crying out loud, grow up, download version 3.25 and see for yourself
what Patchou has done to try to keep the SIX MILLION people that use his
software add-on happy.

Regards,
Brian!
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

The MSN Messenger "Usage data" option was *not* turned on by default when I
installed messenger on my machine.
On one hand you say, "I'm sure I've seen similar tick boxes on Messenger
itself" (you don't sound too certain there) then in the next breath you say,
"I know this as I've just done a system rebuild with XP and I had to turn
these 'useage data' tick boxes off myself after installing both Messenger
(MSN and Windows versions)" Um so which is it??


"Brian!" wrote:

>
> >"Sandi - Microsoft MVP" <sandi_hardmeier@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 7VrCPorEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Information about Patchou's alleged income that was posted to this
> newsgroup
> > has already been removed from my web page
>
> I see you're at it again Sandi. Update of 15th October.
> ==========
> A person by the name of P, Cyril (cyrilpaciullo@popularemailprovider.com -
> (***the email address has been changed to protect P. Cyril from spam and
> flamemail***) is, at the date of writing this segment (15 October 2004), the
> name behind www.msgplus.net
> ==========
>
> Now while this is all well and good, during your synopsis you repost the
> edited email address and then on the same line you inform people what to
> replce your edited portion with in order to make it a valid address.
>
> Slightly hypocrytical, wouldn't you say?
> ==========
> Synopsis:
> Secure Software, Inc = Cyril Paciullo/Paciullo Cyril, Alex Shamash and
> Jason Lucas
> www.msgplus net = P, Cyril (cyrilpaciullo@popularemailprovider.com - edited
> address - replace popularemailprovider.com with ************** [removed
> actual provider with FAR too many stars])
> ==========
>
> Another thing, you keep going on about the useage statistics that MsgPlus
> sends back to Patchou like it's a crime to see what features are being used
> the most, so that he knows what to focus on for future releases.
>
> I'm sure I've seen similar tick boxes on Messenger itself, as well as
> Windows Media Player. It's ok for M$ to request stats on users habits, but
> when Patchou request similar kinds of info (more than likely, it's less
> intrusive than what WMP or MSN requests), it's not allowed? Also, the
> option for user data for MSN and WMP is ON by default. I know this as I've
> just done a system rebuild with XP and I had to turn these 'useage data'
> tick boxes off myself after installing both Messenger (MSN and Windows
> versions) and WMP10. Oops, another point of your argument against MsgPlus
> out the window.
>
> For crying out loud, grow up, download version 3.25 and see for yourself
> what Patchou has done to try to keep the SIX MILLION people that use his
> software add-on happy.
>
> Regards,
> Brian!
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:20:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"anonymous" The MSN Messenger "Usage data" option was *not* turned on by
default when I
> installed messenger on my machine.
Um so which is it??>

That is a good question. I just install XPPro SP2, WMP, and Messenger. They
were all turn off by default and I had to turn them on. Could the problem be
that you are running an older version then I? Maybe you don't use it or
running a leak unfinished version.


--
Be Safe
JDProud
MVP Photos
www.msmvps.com/msnvision/



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.777 / Virus Database: 524 - Release Date: 10/14/2004
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:30:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup:microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion
* Reply to: All; "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>
* Date:Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:28:45 -0500
* Subj:Re: Messenger Plus! - Let's focus on another Sacred Cow for a
while
======================================================================
....now, roll over and bark like a dog.
--
Jack

MH> That would be 'too'
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:55:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

wow.. no corrections needed this time.. way to go..


"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:ef2e%23X8tEHA.160@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> ======================================================================
> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> *
> Newsgroup:microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion
> * Reply to: All; "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>
> * Date:Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:28:45 -0500
> * Subj:Re: Messenger Plus! - Let's focus on another Sacred Cow for a
> while
> ======================================================================
> ...now, roll over and bark like a dog.
> --
> Jack
>
> MH> That would be 'too'
>
>
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup:microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.discussion
* Reply to: All; "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca>
* Date:Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:11:22 -0500
* Subj:Re: Messenger Plus! - Let's focus on another Sacred Cow for a
while
======================================================================
Too easy. Thanks for playing.
--
Jack

MH> wow.. no corrections needed this time.. way to go..
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:31:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:69883219-61EE-42A1-9E26-1BE21DFA1642@microsoft.com...
> The MSN Messenger "Usage data" option was *not* turned on by default when
> I
> installed messenger on my machine.

Then you have an install problem:

http://www.msgplus.net/changelog.php
"A new option has been added in the preferences panel to allow sending
periodic statistics to the msgplus.net server. These statistics are just a
couple of numerical data such as "Quick Text was used" or "Plus! icon was
clicked". Obviously, nothing personal (such as chat logs or contact emails)
is sent. The data collected will help me concentrate on the features that
are used the most in the future updates. The option is on by default and can
be turned off permanently in the "General Options\Local Settings" section of
the preferences. Last note about this: no statistic is send during the first
week of use, that way, you have plenty of time to discover the option and
turn it of if you desire. "

--
_______________________________________
Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message
news:o uzzdq5tEHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> That is a good question. I just install XPPro SP2, WMP, and Messenger.
> They were all turn off by default and I had to turn them on. Could the
> problem be that you are running an older version then I? Maybe you don't
> use it or running a leak unfinished version.

Same here. Also, according to
http://messenger.ninemsn.com.au/Help/ceip.aspx

How can I join?
Your participation in the Customer Experience Improvement Program is
completely voluntary.

To join

1.. Click the Tools menu on the MSN Messenger main window.
2.. Click Options, and then click the General tab.
3.. Select the Allow Microsoft to collect anonymous information... check
box.

--
_______________________________________
Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org
October 25, 2004 6:16:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Sandi - Microsoft MVP wrote:

> "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:69883219-61EE-42A1-9E26-1BE21DFA1642@microsoft.com...
>
>> The MSN Messenger "Usage data" option was *not* turned on by default
>> when I
>> installed messenger on my machine.
>
>
> Then you have an install problem:
>
> http://www.msgplus.net/changelog.php
> "A new option has been added in the preferences panel to allow sending
> periodic statistics to the msgplus.net server. These statistics are just
> a couple of numerical data such as "Quick Text was used" or "Plus! icon
> was clicked". Obviously, nothing personal (such as chat logs or contact
> emails) is sent. The data collected will help me concentrate on the
> features that are used the most in the future updates. The option is on
> by default and can be turned off permanently in the "General
> Options\Local Settings" section of the preferences. Last note about
> this: no statistic is send during the first week of use, that way, you
> have plenty of time to discover the option and turn it of if you desire. "

No he doesn't have an install problem, Sandi. "anonymous" is talking
about MSN Messenger, not Messenger Plus!...


Cookie
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger
October 25, 2004 6:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Sandi - Microsoft MVP wrote:

> "James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o uzzdq5tEHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>> That is a good question. I just install XPPro SP2, WMP, and Messenger.
>> They were all turn off by default and I had to turn them on. Could the
>> problem be that you are running an older version then I? Maybe you
>> don't use it or running a leak unfinished version.
>
>
> Same here. Also, according to
> http://messenger.ninemsn.com.au/Help/ceip.aspx
>
> How can I join?
> Your participation in the Customer Experience Improvement Program is
> completely voluntary.
>
> To join
>
> 1.. Click the Tools menu on the MSN Messenger main window.
> 2.. Click Options, and then click the General tab.
> 3.. Select the Allow Microsoft to collect anonymous information...
> check box.

Sandi, that source doesn't say anything about the option being on or off
by default. It only says how to participate in the CEIP and obviously
that would be by ticking the option.

And if you thought the word "voluntary" means that the option is off by
default, then again, that isn't what it means. It means that you can
choose if you want to participate or not...

In other words: don't use such sources to backup arguments.


PS: The option is not ticked by default, but this source is not valid at
all to back this up!


Cookie
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger
!