=-Video Transer and AVI -0

Nigel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
My first question is wiht my sony cam corder(not digital) can i transfer movies ive filmed onto my computer? I have a geforce ti4400. What software do i need? Doesnt adobe make something? Also if i need a video capture card(not to sure what this is or if i have one) where can i get an inexpensive one that works well. How much do they cost?

Next I can not play a certain movie i downloaded online. Its a movie file with a .avi extension. In win media player it says it can not play this file and quicktime says the end was reached prematurely. Ive redownloaded it but no luck still. Normal .avi movies play ok and this movie works ok on my lap top (in win media with win 98) but not on my xp pro machine.

thanks
n

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Yes, you can record analog video into your computer. Adobe does make software for video editing. Try checking out Pinnacle System, Dazzle and Hauppage for video capture cards and software. Even some TV Tuner type video cards would work pretty well.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Some ti4400 cards also come with VIVO (video-in & video-out) version. Check if yours got VIVO. If yes, then you can capture video.

As for the avi playback problem, it sounds like your XP doesn't have the right codec. Try <A HREF="http://www.divx.com" target="_new">http://www.divx.com</A> to find and download the right codec there.

Nigel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
the odd thing is i should have the codec i downloaded them.

I have pny verto geforce 4 ti4400. Does that support it? It mesntiones tv-out support mode but not tv-in so i dont know if it has it or not.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
No, you don't have to buy a separate video capture card.
I like having the separate card though, that way you can upgrade the main video card and still have the video capture card. Also, with a decent video capture card you can get some decent video editing software. I also depends on what you want to do with the video you want to record.

Like the other poster said, the card you have now will need to have VIVO.

the Prisoner

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
VIVO stands for video in and video out. If your video card has video in and video out, you should be ok.

Still, I like the separate video card option.

the Prisoner