File transfer stopped working in Windows Messenger 4.7 aft..

Hi

I have a problem with file transfer and the new Windows Messenger (4.7.3000)
that comes with Service Pack 2.
Before installing the uber update, everything was working fine for my friend
and I (we're both behind routers, default settings, nothing fancy) : the
files would just transfer without any need for specific configuration.

Now, it doesn't work anymore : none of us can send or receive files, we
either get the "blocked connection, contact your network administrator"
message or the plain "transfer failed" one.

I've tried opening the 6891-6900 ports on the router, enabling UPnP also but
to no avail : i cannot send or receive files.

I don't understand what's wrong since it WAS working before and i didn't
change anything to my configuration except installing SP2.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

My configuration:
Windows XP SP2
Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe integrated LAN (3Com Gigabit LOM 3C940)
Netgear FR114P Firewall + Router.
2 answers Last reply
More about file transfer stopped working windows messenger

    Greetings,

    Actually what's probably happened is the protocol has changed (I admit I haven't even looked
    into this for the .3000 version).

    Windows Messenger 4.7 doesn't actually have support for UPnP file transfer, so it was working
    before, simply because of an Application Layer Gateway (ALG) in the router itself which was
    translating the packets on your behalf so that this feature worked. The problem with ALG's
    is that if the protocol changes, even slightly, usually the functionality will break.

    The easiest solution in this sceario is to either upgrade to Windows Messenger 5 where UPnP
    file transfer is supported:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1

    or simply use MSN Messenger 6.x instead:
    http://messenger.msn.com/Download
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Dr.Woof" <denvergarou@hotXXNOSPAMXXmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a problem with file transfer and the new Windows Messenger (4.7.3000) that comes
    > with Service Pack 2.
    > Before installing the uber update, everything was working fine for my friend and I (we're
    > both behind routers, default settings, nothing fancy) : the files would just transfer
    > without any need for specific configuration.
    >
    > Now, it doesn't work anymore : none of us can send or receive files, we either get the
    > "blocked connection, contact your network administrator" message or the plain "transfer
    > failed" one.
    >
    > I've tried opening the 6891-6900 ports on the router, enabling UPnP also but to no avail :
    > i cannot send or receive files.
    >
    > I don't understand what's wrong since it WAS working before and i didn't change anything to
    > my configuration except installing SP2.
    >
    > Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > My configuration:
    > Windows XP SP2
    > Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
    > ASUS P4P800 Deluxe integrated LAN (3Com Gigabit LOM 3C940)
    > Netgear FR114P Firewall + Router.

    Hi Jonathon,

    I have WinXP Pro SP2 installed and have the latest version
    of Messenger also (5.0.0482) and I am having trouble with
    file transfer. I am using a NAT router but this is uPNP
    enabled. The problem is when I try to send a file it just
    hangs at the connecting stage then says about a "firewall
    blocking...contact network administrator". I seem to be
    able to receive files from other people who are using
    Windoes Messenger but not from people using MSN Messenger.
    Sending files to anybody also fails. I have tried opening
    ports 6891-6900 on the router and disabling the SP2
    firewall and it still doesn't work. As a last resort I put
    my PC in the DMZ of the router and turned off the SP2
    firewall but still no joy? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated...from what I have read, and I see that
    Windows Messenger 5 has uPNP file transfer, this should
    just work...

    Thanks, Richard.

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Dr.Woof" <denvergarou@hotXXNOSPAMXXmail.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a problem with file transfer and the new Windows
    Messenger (4.7.3000) that comes
    >> with Service Pack 2.
    >> Before installing the uber update, everything was
    working fine for my friend and I (we're
    >> both behind routers, default settings, nothing fancy) :
    the files would just transfer
    >> without any need for specific configuration.
    >>
    >> Now, it doesn't work anymore : none of us can send or
    receive files, we either get the
    >> "blocked connection, contact your network
    administrator" message or the plain "transfer
    >> failed" one.
    >>
    >> I've tried opening the 6891-6900 ports on the router,
    enabling UPnP also but to no avail :
    >> i cannot send or receive files.
    >>
    >> I don't understand what's wrong since it WAS working
    before and i didn't change anything to
    >> my configuration except installing SP2.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> My configuration:
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >> Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
    >> ASUS P4P800 Deluxe integrated LAN (3Com Gigabit LOM
    3C940)
    >> Netgear FR114P Firewall + Router.
    >>

    >.

Configuration Messenger File Transfer Windows XP