disabling messenger in XP Home edition

Kerry

Nortons firewall report states the following "An instance
of "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" is preparing
to access the Internet for the first time." I get this
message every minute or so.

I have disabled messenger per Microsoft FAQ. But it
appears that it is still operating in some capacity. How
do I disable or delete this program so that it does not
operate at all.

Greetings Kerry,

What you're seeing is actually a result of Norton itself. Recent versions of Norton
Antivirus added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger
and cause it to also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the
Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open
Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger
and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert