Auto save hangs machine?

Last response: in Video Games
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2004 7:54:23 AM

Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
your machine?
Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
current game.
Playing PTW.
Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
error report of "Tile".
Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
to find one that works.
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2004 7:07:39 PM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 03:54:23 GMT, Xeno Chauvin wrote:

>Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
>your machine?
>Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
>and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
>current game.
>Playing PTW.
>Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
>error report of "Tile".
>Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
>to find one that works.

I experience the same problem, although not frequent enough to be a great
nuisance. Conquests 1.22.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2004 8:53:23 PM

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 5w_c.20633$Xi.1254@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
> your machine?
> Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
> and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
> current game.
> Playing PTW.
> Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
> error report of "Tile".
> Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
> to find one that works.
> Xeno

What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?
a b \ Driver
September 6, 2004 5:10:13 AM

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?

Did that didn't seem to help.
Started a new game got to 390 AD and it hung on that save.
Is there a way to stop the auto save?
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 6, 2004 5:17:17 AM

> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>> What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?
>
> Did that didn't seem to help.
> Started a new game got to 390 AD and it hung on that save.
> Is there a way to stop the auto save?

I'd try a reinstall. Something must be messed up somewhere.

Preferences.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 8, 2004 9:06:35 PM

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
> computer rather than the game.

BUT....PTW is the ONLY program that hangs my machine and does it at
a specific time.
I am now on a NEW thread of the problem. There may be some connection of a
"sound effect"
happening at the same time as the auto save.
I was able to play through a game for about an hour before it hung. I recall
a ta-dum-te-dum
sound effect at about the same moment the hang-up occurred.
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 8, 2004 9:22:00 PM

> "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
>> If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
>> computer rather than the game.
>
> BUT....PTW is the ONLY program that hangs my machine and does it at
> a specific time.
> I am now on a NEW thread of the problem. There may be some connection of a
> "sound effect"
> happening at the same time as the auto save.
> I was able to play through a game for about an hour before it hung. I
> recall
> a ta-dum-te-dum
> sound effect at about the same moment the hang-up occurred.
> Xeno

How much virtual memory do you have?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 12, 2004 6:23:15 AM

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
> computer rather than the game.

You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as soon
as I open it.
PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker and
Corel Draw
with some sizable files.
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 12, 2004 11:54:30 AM

> You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as
> soon as I open it.
> PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
> Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker
> and Corel Draw
> with some sizable files.

You may have a problem with your DirectX drivers. Did you upgrade them
recently, or install any games?

Try checking your DirectX diagnostics (Start > Run > dxdiag) and run the
diagnostics to see if there are any big red flags. If you feel comfortable
enough, get the latest DirectX drivers (current version: 9.0c
(4.09.0000.0904)) at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 13, 2004 12:24:35 AM

"Don Quixote" <donquixote235@hotmail.[takethispartout].com> wrote in message
> You may have a problem with your DirectX drivers. Did you upgrade them
> recently, or install any games?

I upgraded in July ( 8.1) and that test shows everything working O.K.
I'll DL 9 and see what happens.
Thanks
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 13, 2004 11:25:02 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:23:15 GMT, Xeno Chauvin wrote:

>You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as soon
>as I open it.
>PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
>Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker and
>Corel Draw
>with some sizable files.

Xeno,

I'm the guy who reported a similar experience with C3C, and I have a story
that you may find interesting.

I used to see the BSOD on rare occasions and always at the end of a turn,
resulting in a corrupted auto-save file. Like you, I felt certain that the
problem was somehow related to Civ3, because my machine had never crashed
like this with any other program. It puzzled me, however, because under XP
the BSOD is usually an indication of a deeper problem. The NT kernel
protects the rest of system quite well from badly written programs.

Then, a week or so ago, I began to see the BSOD much more frequently in C3C,
and now it happened in all sorts of situations. This made me think that
there had to be another explanation than a simple bug in C3C. After all, the
program code was the same as it had been all along, unless my installation
had somehow become corrupted.

I decided to try to find the cause of the problem through elimination. My
machine has been moderately over-clocked for over a year without any
problems, but I know from experience that the BSOD often means hardware
issues. Not really expecting any improvement, I turned down the clock to the
standard setting, and much to my surprise, the problem vanished.

Too high a CPU-clock usually translates to too hot a CPU. I had ruled out
that reason, because I knew that I had run games before that I thought to be
much more CPU-hungry than C3C, e.g. Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the
evidence made me think again.

Clearly, when the game waits for your next move, it doesn't put nearly as
much strain on the CPU as many other games. However, when it does its
calculations, the CPU is momentarily very busy, and the CPU temperature
rises. Usually, these periods aren't long enough that the temperature
reaches alarming heights, but the end-of-turn calculations of a "big" game
might be enough to cause a CPU failure. If I had an increasing heat-problem,
this could explain why I saw it first during end-of-turn.

I opened the box and found that there was quite a lot of dust on the
CPU-cooler's profile. I blew it away, closed the box again, and over-clocked
the CPU again. So far, I haven't seen the BSOD.

I guess this obscenely long story boils down to this piece of advice: Make
sure that your CPU isn't running too hot. What you've written in the thread
is consistent with a CPU getting hot when asked to perform a lot of
calculations in quick succession for a period of some length, something
which probably doesn't happen in Page Maker or Corel Draw.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2004 3:48:15 AM

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message

Unfortunately I am thinking heat problems too. Another post of mine I
explained that I have the side of my machine off and have blown all the dust
out.
The possibility is that the CPU fan is slowing down letting the temp rise is
a possibility. Since this is an AMD chip still under warranty I see what
AMD says about a replacement fan. Your warranty voids without THEIR fan.
I don't think I'll be that lucky though.
The machine hung the first crack out of the box this morning when I went
to get my e mail....heat shouldn't have been a problem.
As far as I know my CPU is not over-clocked as I accepted the automatic
CMOS settings for my board. (MSI).
I like your theory of the game taxing the CPU more than Corel or
Pagemaker....makes sense.
My other choice for a heat problem is my video card which also has a CPU but
no fan.
Couldn't find one to fit when I got the card.
Any more ides will be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2004 6:29:17 PM

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Don't think it's heat problems. Booted my machine this A.M. and
went right to the game . It hung in 3 moves.....
Xeno
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 15, 2004 1:59:58 AM

> "Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> Don't think it's heat problems. Booted my machine this A.M. and
> went right to the game . It hung in 3 moves.....
> Xeno

Out of curiosity, try the following and see if it helps....
(different versions of windows may be worded differently, but the
instructions should be close)
1. Open Start menu
2. Choose Run
3. Type "msconfig" without quotes.
4. In the dialog box that comes up, select the general tab (if not already
selected)
5. Choose selective startup
6. Deselect or un-choose the "Load startup group items"
7. Click Apply then Ok.
8. It will ask to reboot. Choose yes.
9. After reboot do nothing else, but try the game.
10. If it works without crashing, then you've got something in the startup
group items causing the problems.

You can repeat this procedure over and over with various combinations of the
items in the starup group selected or deselected, until you find the item
that is causing the problem.

Alternatively, you can after a normal boot press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open the
task manager. End task everything, but explorer and systray.
!