Auto save hangs machine?

Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
your machine?
Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
current game.
Playing PTW.
Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
error report of "Tile".
Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
to find one that works.
Xeno
13 answers Last reply
More about auto save hangs machine
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 03:54:23 GMT, Xeno Chauvin wrote:

    >Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
    >your machine?
    >Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
    >and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
    >current game.
    >Playing PTW.
    >Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
    >error report of "Tile".
    >Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
    >to find one that works.

    I experience the same problem, although not frequent enough to be a great
    nuisance. Conquests 1.22.
    --
    Best regards,
    Henrik Dissing

    (e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Any known problem or patch for the Auto Save hanging
    > your machine?
    > Have ALL latest drivers have much real and virtual memory
    > and have narrowed my problem to the Auto Save,,,at least in this
    > current game.
    > Playing PTW.
    > Five times now I cannot open the last Auto Save. Gives an
    > error report of "Tile".
    > Three times now I have ad to go back two Auto Saves
    > to find one that works.
    > Xeno

    What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?

    Did that didn't seem to help.
    Started a new game got to 390 AD and it hung on that save.
    Is there a way to stop the auto save?
    Xeno
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >>> What about system maintenance such as chkdsk/scandsk and defrag?
    >
    > Did that didn't seem to help.
    > Started a new game got to 390 AD and it hung on that save.
    > Is there a way to stop the auto save?

    I'd try a reinstall. Something must be messed up somewhere.

    Preferences.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
    > If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
    > computer rather than the game.

    BUT....PTW is the ONLY program that hangs my machine and does it at
    a specific time.
    I am now on a NEW thread of the problem. There may be some connection of a
    "sound effect"
    happening at the same time as the auto save.
    I was able to play through a game for about an hour before it hung. I recall
    a ta-dum-te-dum
    sound effect at about the same moment the hang-up occurred.
    Xeno
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
    >> computer rather than the game.
    >
    > BUT....PTW is the ONLY program that hangs my machine and does it at
    > a specific time.
    > I am now on a NEW thread of the problem. There may be some connection of a
    > "sound effect"
    > happening at the same time as the auto save.
    > I was able to play through a game for about an hour before it hung. I
    > recall
    > a ta-dum-te-dum
    > sound effect at about the same moment the hang-up occurred.
    > Xeno

    How much virtual memory do you have?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
    > If you have to reinstall, then it's more likely a problem with your
    > computer rather than the game.

    You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as soon
    as I open it.
    PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
    Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker and
    Corel Draw
    with some sizable files.
    Xeno
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as
    > soon as I open it.
    > PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
    > Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker
    > and Corel Draw
    > with some sizable files.

    You may have a problem with your DirectX drivers. Did you upgrade them
    recently, or install any games?

    Try checking your DirectX diagnostics (Start > Run > dxdiag) and run the
    diagnostics to see if there are any big red flags. If you feel comfortable
    enough, get the latest DirectX drivers (current version: 9.0c
    (4.09.0000.0904)) at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Don Quixote" <donquixote235@hotmail.[takethispartout].com> wrote in message
    > You may have a problem with your DirectX drivers. Did you upgrade them
    > recently, or install any games?

    I upgraded in July ( 8.1) and that test shows everything working O.K.
    I'll DL 9 and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Xeno
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:23:15 GMT, Xeno Chauvin wrote:

    >You may be right now I can't play Age of Empires as it hangs almost as soon
    >as I open it.
    >PTW will only go about five moves when it hangs.
    >Strange though as the machine is working fine when I use Page Maker and
    >Corel Draw
    >with some sizable files.

    Xeno,

    I'm the guy who reported a similar experience with C3C, and I have a story
    that you may find interesting.

    I used to see the BSOD on rare occasions and always at the end of a turn,
    resulting in a corrupted auto-save file. Like you, I felt certain that the
    problem was somehow related to Civ3, because my machine had never crashed
    like this with any other program. It puzzled me, however, because under XP
    the BSOD is usually an indication of a deeper problem. The NT kernel
    protects the rest of system quite well from badly written programs.

    Then, a week or so ago, I began to see the BSOD much more frequently in C3C,
    and now it happened in all sorts of situations. This made me think that
    there had to be another explanation than a simple bug in C3C. After all, the
    program code was the same as it had been all along, unless my installation
    had somehow become corrupted.

    I decided to try to find the cause of the problem through elimination. My
    machine has been moderately over-clocked for over a year without any
    problems, but I know from experience that the BSOD often means hardware
    issues. Not really expecting any improvement, I turned down the clock to the
    standard setting, and much to my surprise, the problem vanished.

    Too high a CPU-clock usually translates to too hot a CPU. I had ruled out
    that reason, because I knew that I had run games before that I thought to be
    much more CPU-hungry than C3C, e.g. Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the
    evidence made me think again.

    Clearly, when the game waits for your next move, it doesn't put nearly as
    much strain on the CPU as many other games. However, when it does its
    calculations, the CPU is momentarily very busy, and the CPU temperature
    rises. Usually, these periods aren't long enough that the temperature
    reaches alarming heights, but the end-of-turn calculations of a "big" game
    might be enough to cause a CPU failure. If I had an increasing heat-problem,
    this could explain why I saw it first during end-of-turn.

    I opened the box and found that there was quite a lot of dust on the
    CPU-cooler's profile. I blew it away, closed the box again, and over-clocked
    the CPU again. So far, I haven't seen the BSOD.

    I guess this obscenely long story boils down to this piece of advice: Make
    sure that your CPU isn't running too hot. What you've written in the thread
    is consistent with a CPU getting hot when asked to perform a lot of
    calculations in quick succession for a period of some length, something
    which probably doesn't happen in Page Maker or Corel Draw.
    --
    Best regards,
    Henrik Dissing

    (e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message

    Unfortunately I am thinking heat problems too. Another post of mine I
    explained that I have the side of my machine off and have blown all the dust
    out.
    The possibility is that the CPU fan is slowing down letting the temp rise is
    a possibility. Since this is an AMD chip still under warranty I see what
    AMD says about a replacement fan. Your warranty voids without THEIR fan.
    I don't think I'll be that lucky though.
    The machine hung the first crack out of the box this morning when I went
    to get my e mail....heat shouldn't have been a problem.
    As far as I know my CPU is not over-clocked as I accepted the automatic
    CMOS settings for my board. (MSI).
    I like your theory of the game taxing the CPU more than Corel or
    Pagemaker....makes sense.
    My other choice for a heat problem is my video card which also has a CPU but
    no fan.
    Couldn't find one to fit when I got the card.
    Any more ides will be appreciated.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

    Don't think it's heat problems. Booted my machine this A.M. and
    went right to the game . It hung in 3 moves.....
    Xeno
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > "Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Don't think it's heat problems. Booted my machine this A.M. and
    > went right to the game . It hung in 3 moves.....
    > Xeno

    Out of curiosity, try the following and see if it helps....
    (different versions of windows may be worded differently, but the
    instructions should be close)
    1. Open Start menu
    2. Choose Run
    3. Type "msconfig" without quotes.
    4. In the dialog box that comes up, select the general tab (if not already
    selected)
    5. Choose selective startup
    6. Deselect or un-choose the "Load startup group items"
    7. Click Apply then Ok.
    8. It will ask to reboot. Choose yes.
    9. After reboot do nothing else, but try the game.
    10. If it works without crashing, then you've got something in the startup
    group items causing the problems.

    You can repeat this procedure over and over with various combinations of the
    items in the starup group selected or deselected, until you find the item
    that is causing the problem.

    Alternatively, you can after a normal boot press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open the
    task manager. End task everything, but explorer and systray.

Drivers Games Video Games