Origins of Civillization

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Guys,
Well, actually I've had to have a rest from Civ for a couple of months due to
an extensive tour of Turkey especially the areas with all the dodgey
borders...didn't see any enemy troop movement ;)). Anyway, I'm back now and
for my birthday on the 13th of this month I'm getting connected to
Broadband...Yippee! Which in turn means I will finally be able to play Civ III
etc. on-line. Will probably need help setting up on-line-gaming so I hope you
guys can throw me some useful advice when the time comes.

By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember ever
seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about Civ or what?
Just a thought!

Rob

PS. I was posting under Canopus before.

"Rob" <FQJFXARZCCXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message

> By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember ever
> seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about Civ or
> what?
> Just a thought!

I'm a woman despite the nick.

Gareeth

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gareeth wrote:

> "Rob" <FQJFXARZCCXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember ever
> > seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about Civ or
> > what?
> > Just a thought!
> >

> I'm a woman despite the nick.
>
> Gareeth

LOL...I should look more closely.

Rob

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 8 Sep 2004 19:14:36 GMT Rob <FQJFXARZCCXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
<xn0dn15vh1v38q000@news.individual.net>...

> Hi Guys,

> By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember ever
> seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about Civ or what?
> Just a thought!

Gaming does seem to be a typical (or stereotypical) male pursuit.

There have been a few, I remember Carolyn, Stella, and Naomi, and there
have been others here and in the Civ2 group.

> Rob
>
> PS. I was posting under Canopus before.

That sounds uncomfortable. I'm glad you got Canopus off you.

--
Daran

This space intentionally left blank.

Daran wrote:

> > PS. I was posting under Canopus before.
>
> That sounds uncomfortable. I'm glad you got Canopus off you.

You're glad?...Canopus is the biggest and brightest star in the Southern
Hemisphere :))

Rob

"Daran" <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in message
> On 8 Sep 2004 19:14:36 GMT Rob <FQJFXARZCCXT@spammotel.com> wrote in
message
> <xn0dn15vh1v38q000@news.individual.net>...
>
> > Hi Guys,
>
> > By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember
ever
> > seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about Civ or
what?
> > Just a thought!
>
> Gaming does seem to be a typical (or stereotypical) male pursuit.
>
> There have been a few, I remember Carolyn, Stella, and Naomi, and there
> have been others here and in the Civ2 group.

Gosh, gee, someone remembers me :)))

I know "Black Dog" implies male but "Black Bitch" implies too many other
things.
In fact the dog groomer was shocked when I called my pet canine a "stubborn
bitch". Which she is.

Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991

Black Dog wrote:

> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991

You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was it a
board game?

Rob

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message

> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was
> it a
> board game?

There were PC's. I have played since the original civ came out too. At the
time it amazed me that a computer could handle such a complicated game
though.

Gareeth

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Black Dog wrote:
>
> > Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>
> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was
it a
> board game?
>
> Rob

Heehee, very funny. Civ 1 was an amazing game, I probably spent as many
hours playing that as working on my Masters thesis. Course I probably would
have finished said thesis months earlier if Civ hadn't been installed on the
same computer I was using to crunch data, produce stats and graphs, and do
word processing on. Like Gareeth, I was amazed that the same computer that
struggled to render a wire-frame version of my digital maps could run a game
like that. The original game felt more, for lack of better word,
educational. It was playing James Burke's "The Day the Universe Changed".
Discovering pottery and watching a granary materialize in the desert.
Magical. I confess I even pirated it and installed it on a computer that I
was setting up for two (also female) students heading back to Botswanna.
They
loved it too.

Stella - spreading Civ addiction around the world since 1992

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> writes:
>Black Dog wrote:
>> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991

>You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was it a
>board game?

Man, I feel old. Really old.

Oh, and I'm female too, for the record.

--
Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
<cblkwell@uiuc.edu>

Chastity Blackwell wrote:

> "Canopus" writes:
> > Black Dog wrote:
> >> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>
> > You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was it
> > a board game?

> Man, I feel old. Really old.
>
> Oh, and I'm female too, for the record.

You feel old?! The first adventure/strategy/role playing game I played on
computer was on a Sinclair ZX81 (I think it was called) and each move had to be
printed out along with a bit more map. I thought it was amazing what could be
got out of a little box.

Then there was when I went on a computer programming course learning COBOL
using gigantic mainframe computers. In one lesson someone piped up with "I
heard something called a chip has been invented and one day we will be able to
have this computing power in a little machine on a desk top."

The tutor replied, "Maybe, anything is possible, but, I doubt that we'll see
anything like that in our homes in our lifetime.

That was in '72

> In one lesson someone piped up with "I
> heard something called a chip has been invented and one day we will be
> able to
> have this computing power in a little machine on a desk top."
>
> The tutor replied, "Maybe, anything is possible, but, I doubt that we'll
> see
> anything like that in our homes in our lifetime.
>
> That was in '72

In 1984 I was invited to a conference for gifted students at a university.
We were taken on a tour of the computing science facilities which still
consisted of a building sized computer and reams and reams of magnetic tape
flowing everywhere. Even then the profs thought the smaller computers would
never catch on and that would remian the standard. The personal computer was
just a fad to them. Seems like it snuck up on a lot people.

Gareeth

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Black Dog wrote:
>
>> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>
> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was
> it a
> board game?
>
> Rob

ROFLMAO!!!

I've been playing civ Civ1 too!!!

"Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote in

> In 1984 I was invited to a conference for gifted students at a
> university. We were taken on a tour of the computing science
> facilities which still consisted of a building sized computer and
> reams and reams of magnetic tape flowing everywhere. Even then the
> profs thought the smaller computers would never catch on and that
> would remian the standard. The personal computer was just a fad to
> them. Seems like it snuck up on a lot people.

I remember the first computer I ever touched, back in '77 or '78 - a
TRS-80 model I. I was seven or eight then, and even at that tender age
the very first thing I tried to do was to "program it". (I typed "if Amy
is my sister and I am a boy, am I her brother?" and got the cryptic
response "?SYNERR".) Then the Radio Shack plebe chased me off because
he said I was too young to mess with something as high-dollar as his
TRS-80.

The first civ I owned was Civ II. Matter of fact, I'm looking at the
original cd right at this very moment, and somewhere I still have the
original tech tree poster and manual for it. Civ II helped define what
I look for in a game.

"Don Quixote" <donquixote235@hotmail.[takethispartout].com> wrote in message

Then the Radio Shack plebe chased me off because
> he said I was too young to mess with something as high-dollar as his
> TRS-80.

I actually was offered a job by radio shack playing with the TSR 80. Back
when the whole notion of having a computer in your home was new they noticed
they had more people interested if someone was using the computer and at the
time people had not caught on to the fact that it would be kids who would
have the upper hand with them. They would say things like so easy a kid can
use it and people thought that meant they would be able to to. Those little
tandys were my dream comptuers back then.

Gareeth

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> writes:
>Chastity Blackwell wrote:
>>
>> > You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was it
>> > a board game?

>> Man, I feel old. Really old.
>>
>> Oh, and I'm female too, for the record.

>You feel old?! The first adventure/strategy/role playing game I played on
>computer was on a Sinclair ZX81 (I think it was called) and each move had to be
>printed out along with a bit more map. I thought it was amazing what could be
>got out of a little box.

>Then there was when I went on a computer programming course learning COBOL
>using gigantic mainframe computers. In one lesson someone piped up with "I
>heard something called a chip has been invented and one day we will be able to
>have this computing power in a little machine on a desk top."

>The tutor replied, "Maybe, anything is possible, but, I doubt that we'll see
>anything like that in our homes in our lifetime.

>That was in '72

Well, I feel less old now. :) I was not born until '77. ;)

--

cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Chastity Blackwell) wrote in news:chqt85$2av$1
@news.ks.uiuc.edu:

> Well, I feel less old now. :) I was not born until '77. ;)

Great. Now >I< feel old.

there was a "bookcase" game by Avalon Hill called Civilization. it ended in
ancient ages though. later they had alternate trade cards available [usually
only by mail] and a western map expansion... but that was toward the fall of
AH and when Hasbro gobbled up AH, I guess they didn't persue very many
titles, and slammed the door on replacement parts purchase [AH was good for
just ordering the counter sheet #2 or etc...] most titles were toast. only a
few survived...
the AH Civilization board folded up, you had to take a census, had trade
cards, and civilization [advances] cards...
a lot of AH games were complex.
but if parker brothers, and milton bradley can be gobbled by hasbro, and
even Wizards of the Coast? AH didn't have a chance...

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Black Dog wrote:
>
>> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>
> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was
> it a
> board game?
>
> Rob

does anyone remember the Avalon-Hill bookcase game "Civilization"?
it was long before Civ 1.... cumbersome....

"Black Dog" <fake@ihatespam.com> wrote in message

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>> Black Dog wrote:
>>
>> > Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>>
>> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then? or was
> it a
>> board game?
>>
>> Rob
>
> Heehee, very funny. Civ 1 was an amazing game, I probably spent as many
> hours playing that as working on my Masters thesis. Course I probably
> would
> have finished said thesis months earlier if Civ hadn't been installed on
> the
> same computer I was using to crunch data, produce stats and graphs, and do
> word processing on. Like Gareeth, I was amazed that the same computer
> that
> struggled to render a wire-frame version of my digital maps could run a
> game
> like that. The original game felt more, for lack of better word,
> educational. It was playing James Burke's "The Day the Universe Changed".
> Discovering pottery and watching a granary materialize in the desert.
> Magical. I confess I even pirated it and installed it on a computer that
> was setting up for two (also female) students heading back to Botswanna.
> They
> loved it too.
>
> Stella - spreading Civ addiction around the world since 1992

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 10 Sep 2004 02:50:04 GMT Don Quixote
<donquixote235@hotmail.[takethispartout].com> wrote in message
<Xns955FDE1906F2Bqwertyuiop@129.250.170.85>...

> cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Chastity Blackwell) wrote in news:chqt85$2av$1
> @news.ks.uiuc.edu:
>
> > Well, I feel less old now. :) I was not born until '77. ;)
>
> Great. Now >I< feel old.

So who are the oldest and youngest players here?

I'll be turning 40 next month.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:57:20 +0100, Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net>
wrote:

>On 10 Sep 2004 02:50:04 GMT Don Quixote
><donquixote235@hotmail.[takethispartout].com> wrote in message
><Xns955FDE1906F2Bqwertyuiop@129.250.170.85>...
>
>> cblkwell@tower.cso.uiuc.edu (Chastity Blackwell) wrote in news:chqt85$2av$1
>> @news.ks.uiuc.edu:
>>
>> > Well, I feel less old now. :) I was not born until '77. ;)
>>
>> Great. Now >I< feel old.
>
>So who are the oldest and youngest players here?
>
>I'll be turning 40 next month.

I'll be 50 in Dec.

I have been playing Sid Meier games since the old Colonization game
for the Commodore 64. I started playing games on computers using an
old Radio Teletype/modem link up to Clemson University in 1972 playing
Hamarabi, a text game.

I'm hopelessly hooked on computer games. I think I need a support
group or something! :)

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 9 Sep 2004 21:04:51 GMT Canopus <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in
message <xn0dn2nvk63qym000@news.individual.net>...

> You feel old?! The first adventure/strategy/role playing game I played on
> computer was on a Sinclair ZX81 (I think it was called) and each move had
> to be printed out along with a bit more map. I thought it was amazing
> what could be got out of a little box.

Yep, I had one of those too. I programmed it in assembly, laboriously
assembling the machine code by hand, then poking the values directly into
memory.

It had a grand total of 1K ram, (expandable to 16K) of which about a third
was taken up with system variables, and another third by the screen buffer,
leaving just 1/3K available for code. Its Zilog Z80 processor ran at 4MHz,
but the fastest instructions took 4 cycles, so it was really a 1Mips
machine. A floating point operation would probably require hundreds of
cycles. By contrast today's multi-GHz P4s can complete one flop per cycle.

> Then there was when I went on a computer programming course learning COBOL
> using gigantic mainframe computers.

My first programming language (before I ever got the ZX81) was Fortran,
learned from a book, written on paper and run by hand, as I had no access to
a computer.

I was told that if I was going to work with computers, I'd be using a
terminal along with scores or even hundreds of other people, all working on
the same computer (which I'd never actually get to see) at the same time.
But no matter how busy it was, I'd never EVER have to wait for it.

I did use a mainframe like that (running Multics) when I was at uni in the
early eighties. Except that I did have to wait for the computer. And I've
been waiting ever since.

--

On 9 Sep 2004 19:41:49 GMT Canopus <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in
message <xn0dn2lnn36esg003@news.individual.net>...

> Black Dog wrote:
>
> > Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991
>
> You've been a Civ addict since then? There were PCs around then?...

PC's have been around since the mid 80's

> ...or was it a board game?

There was a Civ board game, which had some similarities with the first
computer game. I don't know if they share the same pedigree.

--

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:11:05 -0400 Black Dog <fake@ihatespam.com> wrote in
message <2Y00d.40196$Nd6.1035605@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> "Daran" <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in message
> > On 8 Sep 2004 19:14:36 GMT Rob <FQJFXARZCCXT@spammotel.com> wrote in
> message <xn0dn15vh1v38q000@news.individual.net>...

> > > By the way, are there any women in this newsgroup, I cannot remember
> > > ever seeing a female name? If not does it indicate something about
> > > Civ or what? Just a thought!
> >
> > Gaming does seem to be a typical (or stereotypical) male pursuit.
> >
> > There have been a few, I remember Carolyn, Stella, and Naomi, and there
> > have been others here and in the Civ2 group.
> >

> Gosh, gee, someone remembers me :)))

How could anyone forget? So, were you lurking, or ego-surfing?

I remembered the "Black Dog" handle too, but couldn't remember if it was you
or Carolyn. I'm sure there was an Amanda, too.

> Stella - avid Civ addict since 1991

I must have played the board game around then, but I never had the opponents
to get addicted. I'm pretty certain I never played Civ on my old 286, which
means that I could not have played it before 1993, when I got my first 486.

--

> So who are the oldest and youngest players here?

I'm 36.

Gareeth