DirectX 9

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
What are the new features avaiable in Directx 9?

What cards currently support DX9?
And what games do support DX9?

Any great improvements over DX8?

Thanks.

/\/\ito

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
radeon9700/9500 families..

dx9 over dx8? hardware displacement mapping.. high color ranges.. real pixelshaders/vertexshaders..

about all the fancy stuff you can want currently..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Are you sure about that hardware displacement mapping Dave?
Because I´ve heard that there are only a few cards that support *true* hardware displacement mapping.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
What cards currently support DX9?
R300 chipset - Radeon 9700 and 9500 cards.

And what games do support DX9?
None that are out yet, and none for quite some time still.

Any great improvements over DX8?
Many. Greatly increased shader instruction flexibility, new AA modes, lots of fancy stuff which I won't quote off the top of my head in case I remember any of it wrong. But you won't be seeing any of it in games for quite a while.

-Col.Kiwi

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
depends what you call true hw disp mapping. but tesselation of geometry in a dynamic way, including automatic distance dependend lod is one the new dx9 features (depending on gpu/vpu done in hw or software.. pathelia in hw, r300 in hw, gfFX i bet in hw). the other new dx9 feature is "vertex texturing", that is, sampling a value per vertex from a texture, according to texture coords stored/generated at that vertex, and do something with that value (namely, add that value to the position of the vertex in direction of the normal, then you get displacement mapping)..

those two features: tesselation, and vertex texturing together, create a very nice displacement mapping..

now, if its in hw depends on the hw, not on dx9..

r300 can do it, gfFX i bet will be able to do it, pathelia is able to do it, too..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com