Netgear or Linksys ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 29, 2004 9:47:38 PM

Hi all,

Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
either a

Netgear WG602v2

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php?view=

or

Linksys WAP54G

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
- but they quote power in different terms

Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
Linksys is 15 dBm

Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice
Cheers.

More about : netgear linksys

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 1:25:47 AM

> They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
> live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
> etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
> - but they quote power in different terms
>
> Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
> Linksys is 15 dBm
>
> Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?

Senao EL-2611CB3 if you can get it in your location. 23dBm(200mW) RF Output
Power

Paul
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 1:35:32 AM

Linksys is probably the most popular wireless product. Netgear is one
of the easiest to set up and use and has great range. Lots of people
have complained about the Linksys routers losing signals. On the
other hand, lots of people have complained about having to reboot the
Netgear routers. Personnally, I haven't had success with the Linksys
routers. I kept getting dropped signals even when I was right next to
the router. But that was before the wireless g models came out. My
Netgear routers had great range and features and was a cinch to set
up. Still, I had to reboot them a lot, especially after my system
came out of standby mode. I've since sold one of my Netgear routers,
but I still use the other one (with wireless disabled). The Belkin
wireless 54g router is my new AP of choice. No reboots, overheats,
etc. It has great range and speed. Anyway, I hope this helps.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:47:38 +0100, Justin Thompson
<Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
>either a
>
>Netgear WG602v2
>
>http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php?view=
>
>or
>
>Linksys WAP54G
>
>http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>
>They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
>live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
>etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
>- but they quote power in different terms
>
>Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
>Linksys is 15 dBm
>
>Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?
>
>Thanks in advance for your sage advice
>Cheers.
June 30, 2004 3:53:18 AM

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> schreef in
bericht news:g873e01on48o1hmv79ob8ofq2gkq9c614s@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
> either a
>
> Netgear WG602v2
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php?view=
>
> or
>
> Linksys WAP54G
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>
> They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
> live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
> etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
> - but they quote power in different terms
>
> Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
> Linksys is 15 dBm
>
> Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?
>
> Thanks in advance for your sage advice
> Cheers.

Last week I had a similar dicision to make: Linksys or SMC. My house has two
reinforced
concrete floors.. The AP is in the attic (3rd floor) and has to cover the
house.
I went for the Linksys WAP54G and Linksys pcmcia 54 Mb/s card. The poorest
reception
was on the ground floor straight below the AP and well away from the
straircase, 20% signal strength.
My wife uses the laptop and in her study the signal strength is 50%, signal
quality 43%.
No dropped packets and no problems with response time, no reboots.
The AP runs firmware v1.08, Aug 05 2003 . Not the latest and greatest but
it serves its purpose.
(don't try to fix something that isn't broke ;-)

Hans
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 7:36:18 AM

Justin Thompson <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in

> Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?

Netgate is another possiblity - 200mw transmit power, about 2 - 2.5x
regular APs.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
June 30, 2004 3:26:30 PM

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Linksys is probably the most popular wireless product. Netgear is one
> of the easiest to set up and use and has great range. Lots of people
> have complained about the Linksys routers losing signals. On the
> other hand, lots of people have complained about having to reboot the
> Netgear routers. Personnally, I haven't had success with the Linksys
> routers. I kept getting dropped signals even when I was right next to
> the router. But that was before the wireless g models came out. My
> Netgear routers had great range and features and was a cinch to set
> up. Still, I had to reboot them a lot, especially after my system
> came out of standby mode. I've since sold one of my Netgear routers,
> but I still use the other one (with wireless disabled). The Belkin
> wireless 54g router is my new AP of choice. No reboots, overheats,
> etc. It has great range and speed. Anyway, I hope this helps.

>reboot

I hear about this and this really worries me , don't firmware updates fix
these issues?

> up. Still, I had to reboot them a lot, especially after my system
> came out of standby mode.

was that not a problem with your system, rather than the device?

I will have to look into this

Andrew
June 30, 2004 3:57:36 PM

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> schreef in
bericht news:g873e01on48o1hmv79ob8ofq2gkq9c614s@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
> either a
>
> Netgear WG602v2
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php?view=
>
> or
>
> Linksys WAP54G
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>
> They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
> live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
> etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
> - but they quote power in different terms
>
> Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
> Linksys is 15 dBm

These are 2 different things: dBi means decibels over an isotropic antenna,
dBm is decibels over 1 mW power. The one is the amplification of the antenna
(in this case quite normal, because a normal antenna (groundplane or dipole)
has a minimum of 3 dBi) and the other is the output power of the transmitter
(15 dBm is ca. 35 mW).

Choose the one you like and that match your specifications.
Sadly all (wireless) routers/access points have problems, one way or the
other.
Most of them are good to live with ;-).
Choose a router/access point with an external (detachable, in case you need
to connect a small directional antenna) antenna, these work better than the
internal ones.
And yes, Senao has the most output power, but normally you don't need this.

I myself use a Linksys and after some initial problems it works fine for me
over 100 meters inside 2 buildings with the normal antenna's.

Ron.

Good luck !

> Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?
>
> Thanks in advance for your sage advice
> Cheers.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:34:47 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:35:32 GMT, Doug Jamal spoketh

>Linksys is probably the most popular wireless product. Netgear is one
>of the easiest to set up and use and has great range. Lots of people
>have complained about the Linksys routers losing signals.

Don't confuse this Linksys Access Point (WAP54G) with any of their
wireless routers. The WAP with the newest firmware is very stable.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
June 30, 2004 9:15:46 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, Justin Thompson mused:

| Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
| either a Netgear WG602v2 or Linksys WAP54G

Does the Netgear support WPA? I have that Linksys AP, and it does
support WPA.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:40:44 AM

I agree, had the same problems with Linksys and Netgear. Also weird RF
interference with DECT equiment. Loosing connections every 5 - 10 minutes
sitting next to the router. Poor bandwith with strong signals and the like.
With my new Belkin (ADSL modem + Wifi router) no problems any more (had to
do 1 firmware upgrade)
Excellent phone-in support by Belkin in case of problems!

Bert

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Linksys is probably the most popular wireless product. Netgear is one
> of the easiest to set up and use and has great range. Lots of people
> have complained about the Linksys routers losing signals. On the
> other hand, lots of people have complained about having to reboot the
> Netgear routers. Personnally, I haven't had success with the Linksys
> routers. I kept getting dropped signals even when I was right next to
> the router. But that was before the wireless g models came out. My
> Netgear routers had great range and features and was a cinch to set
> up. Still, I had to reboot them a lot, especially after my system
> came out of standby mode. I've since sold one of my Netgear routers,
> but I still use the other one (with wireless disabled). The Belkin
> wireless 54g router is my new AP of choice. No reboots, overheats,
> etc. It has great range and speed. Anyway, I hope this helps.
>

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:47:38 +0100, Justin Thompson
> <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
> >either a
> >
> >Netgear WG602v2
> >
> >http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php?view=
> >
> >or
> >
> >Linksys WAP54G
> >
> >http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
> >
> >They both look similar spec. One difference is the antenna power - I
> >live in an old and substantail house (i.e. lots of internal brickwork
> >etc) and so want to give myself best chance of getting good reception
> >- but they quote power in different terms
> >
> >Netgear antenna is 2 dBi
> >Linksys is 15 dBm
> >
> >Which would you recommend - and which has the most powerful antenna?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for your sage advice
> >Cheers.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:02:42 AM

My comment was intended to be in general toward the brand and not item
specific. Sorry.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:34:47 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:35:32 GMT, Doug Jamal spoketh
>
>>Linksys is probably the most popular wireless product. Netgear is one
>>of the easiest to set up and use and has great range. Lots of people
>>have complained about the Linksys routers losing signals.
>
>Don't confuse this Linksys Access Point (WAP54G) with any of their
>wireless routers. The WAP with the newest firmware is very stable.
>
>Lars M. Hansen
>http://www.hansenonline.net
>(replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 10:59:41 PM

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmail?PäM.com> wrote in message news:<6zCEc.4212$wY5.1379@attbi_s54>...
> Taking a moment's reflection, Justin Thompson mused:
> |
> | Looking to get a wireless access point and have narrowed down to
> | either a Netgear WG602v2 or Linksys WAP54G
>
> Does the Netgear support WPA? I have that Linksys AP, and it does
> support WPA.

I have recently bought the WAP54G yesterday. Was trying to set it up
out of the box and it wouldn't accept the default password of admin. I
tried resetting it to the factory default still wouldnt work. So i
called technical support (o/s phone call)they said it was a known
issue with this model and the setup manager that came with the install
CD. GREAT!!!!

The default IP address should be 192.168.1.245 however mine is
168.1.245.255. Must be a bug in the software. Cause I tried to ping it
but was getting no replies.

My next plan of attack is to
1. Attach my laptop directly to the WAP to configure an IP address.
Hopefully the port is an uplink port
2. Then access the WAP via the browser, tech support advise me that
the admin password will be accepted if i go in this way. Somehow I am
sceptical

Does anyone else out there experince the same problem.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:45:43 AM

Taking a moment's reflection, Chong mused:

| Does anyone else out there experince the same problem.

I have had the same problem twice with my WAP54G. I think it is the
firmware version since I didn't have the issue until right after flashing
it. The steps they gave you will allow you to gain access and reset it.
;-)
!