10,000 RPM Drive for XPS Gen 5

I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
before buying.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Curious
17 answers Last reply
More about drive

    Curious wrote:

    > I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    > listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    > actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    > Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    > WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    > before buying.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Curious

    I don't have the 10,000 RPM Drive, but I do have the XPS Gen 5. My
    drive is I believe Western Digital. Its WDC WD 1600JS. I know that
    must be Western Digital because my USB external drive is listed as WDC
    WD1200JB - USB and purchased from Western Digital.

    Assuming WD only makes the 10,000 RPM drive it probably has to be a WD.

    Joan

    It has to be the Raptor; no one else makes 10K SATA drives.

    Curious wrote:
    > I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    > listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    > actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    > Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    > WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    > before buying.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Curious

    Interesting question.
    If it were me, I'd open the case, remove the HD and look at it to see for
    myself what brand, model, and S/N it happens to be.

    As others have mentioned, AFAIK, the only 10k rpm SATA drives on the market
    are the WD Raptors which come in either 74gig or 36gig models.

    I had even wondered if it might be a marketing ploy based on the different
    ways to specify the capacity of a HD (decimal vs binary), but that doesn't
    appear to be the case with a Raptor 74gig.

    A Raptor 74gig will actually display within WinXP as..

    74,340,044,800 bytes, 69.2GB

    Perhaps it's a special model made by WD (or someone else) for Dell and is
    not available retail.

    It would be interesting to hear what the actual label on the drive says.

    "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    > listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    > actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    > Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    > WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    > before buying.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Curious

    It's not a marketing ploy as such - two very common SCSI drive sizes are
    36 and 74G, and the original intent of WD with the Raptor was to replace
    SCSI drives in servers and workstations.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > It's not a marketing ploy as such - two very common SCSI drive sizes are
    > 36 and 74G, and the original intent of WD with the Raptor was to replace
    > SCSI drives in servers and workstations.

    True, but that's what I was getting at. I was refering to the practice of
    the capacity of a HD sometimes being measured by two different methods.

    I Thought that perhaps a drive that is stated as a 74GB might somehow
    actually contain 80 giga bytes, but that was in the middlw of a brain fart.

    Drives today are now usually advertised by the number of millions or
    thousand million (giga) bytes that translate into a smaller number if MB or
    GB. I'm not describing this very clearly, but you get the idea.

    Looking at the properties of the 74GB Raptor in my system, It shows the
    numbers shown below.

    74,340,044,800 bytes, 69.2GB.

    Either way, If Dell is advertising it as a 80GB 10k rpm drive, then it can't
    be a standard 74GB Raptor.

    I wonder what it really is..

    > Timothy Drouillard wrote:
    >> Interesting question.
    >> If it were me, I'd open the case, remove the HD and look at it to see for
    >> myself what brand, model, and S/N it happens to be.
    >>
    >> As others have mentioned, AFAIK, the only 10k rpm SATA drives on the
    >> market are the WD Raptors which come in either 74gig or 36gig models.
    >>
    >> I had even wondered if it might be a marketing ploy based on the
    >> different ways to specify the capacity of a HD (decimal vs binary), but
    >> that doesn't appear to be the case with a Raptor 74gig.
    >>
    >> A Raptor 74gig will actually display within WinXP as..
    >>
    >> 74,340,044,800 bytes, 69.2GB
    >>
    >> Perhaps it's a special model made by WD (or someone else) for Dell and is
    >> not available retail.
    >>
    >> It would be interesting to hear what the actual label on the drive says.
    >>

    >> "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    >>>listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    >>>actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    >>>Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    >>>WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    >>>before buying.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Curious

    I bought the 10K drive for my XPS Gen 3, which I'll assume is the same drive
    as offered in the Gen 5. Under properties, the device is listed as "WDC
    WD740GD-75FLA1". Not sure if that means it's the Raptor, but hopefully
    that'll be helpful to you in finding that out...
    --
    Charles C. Shyu
    http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

    "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote:
    >I bought the 10K drive for my XPS Gen 3, which I'll assume is the same drive
    >as offered in the Gen 5. Under properties, the device is listed as "WDC
    >WD740GD-75FLA1". Not sure if that means it's the Raptor, but hopefully
    >that'll be helpful to you in finding that out...

    Yup, that's the Raptor 74G drive, which is really a 69GB drive, so how
    the liars (sorry, marketting folks) at Dell call it an 80G drive is
    beyond me.

    Hmm, maybe if you are sufficiently mathematically challenged, you
    could take the 74 "gigabyte-in-base-10" capacity, misread it as
    "gigabyte-in-base-2" capacity, or 7.9E10 (decimal) bytes, and then
    round up to "80 gigabytes". Yeah, that's the ticket!

    I've been really happy with my two Raptor 34G drives in a Raid-0 array
    though, so you ought to like it a lot!

    William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
    >I've been really happy with my two Raptor 34G drives in a Raid-0 array
    >though, so you ought to like it a lot!

    Oops, I have the 36G drives, sorry about that. What's the reported
    size for the {69,74,80}G Raptor?

    "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
    > I bought the 10K drive for my XPS Gen 3, which I'll assume is the same
    drive
    > as offered in the Gen 5. Under properties, the device is listed as "WDC
    > WD740GD-75FLA1". Not sure if that means it's the Raptor, but hopefully
    > that'll be helpful to you in finding that out...
    > --
    > Charles C. Shyu
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
    >
    > "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    > > listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    > > actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    > > Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    > > WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    > > before buying.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Curious

    For the 74G raptor, Windows Xp Pro shows...

    Capacity 74,340,044,800 bytes 69.2GB

    so, if it really is a standard Raptor, Dell is using false advertiseing.

    However.... there ARE rare times when various manufacturors make special
    items for large oems.

    perhaps Dell's 80gig 10k drive is a 'special' Raptor made for Dell??

    If it were me, I'd be curious about getting the actual exact model number
    and serial numbers off the 80gig drive and look them up on WD's web site.

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
    >>I've been really happy with my two Raptor 34G drives in a Raid-0 array
    >>though, so you ought to like it a lot!
    >
    > Oops, I have the 36G drives, sorry about that. What's the reported
    > size for the {69,74,80}G Raptor?

    FWIW

    Under properties of my 74gig Raptor, it's listed as..

    WDC WD740GD-00FLA1

    "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
    >I bought the 10K drive for my XPS Gen 3, which I'll assume is the same
    >drive as offered in the Gen 5. Under properties, the device is listed as
    >"WDC WD740GD-75FLA1". Not sure if that means it's the Raptor, but
    >hopefully that'll be helpful to you in finding that out...
    > --
    > Charles C. Shyu
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
    >
    > "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    >> listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    >> actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    >> Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    >> WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    >> before buying.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Curious

    I suspect Dell's rationalization is that they install drives of 40, 80, 160
    and 250 in their machines. They probably believe that throwing a 74 in the
    mix would be confusing.

    Wrong, but...

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > I suspect Dell's rationalization is that they install drives of 40, 80, 160
    > and 250 in their machines. They probably believe that throwing a 74 in the
    > mix would be confusing.

    Maybe, but I think that would constitute fraud. It's one thing to
    explain HDD capacity in base-10 vs. base-2, but this is something else.

    "Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote:
    >For the 74G raptor, Windows Xp Pro shows...
    >Capacity 74,340,044,800 bytes 69.2GB
    >so, if it really is a standard Raptor, Dell is using false advertiseing.

    Yup, it is, and yes they are. Anyone want to bother to try to call
    them on it? I'd say it was silly and frivolous, but they are clearly
    lying, and the Apple iPod battery settlement shows that even
    withholding important information can cost a company a lot of money.

    Curious wrote:
    > I noticed that one option for the boot hard drive in the XPS Gen 5 is
    > listed as an "80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)". Is the drive
    > actually the 74 GB Western Digital Raptor? I hope it is, as the
    > Raptor has an excellent reputation. I don't know anyone other than
    > WD who makes 10,000 RPM SATA drives, but I thought I'd better ask
    > before buying.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Curious

    I was told that it was being made by Maxtor. It may be an unannounced
    drive.

Dell XPS Western Digital Hard Drives Computers