Windows Messenger - XP SP2

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I downloaded the latest service pack for Windows XP
Professional and when I opened Windows Messenger I
noticed the option of checking email was no longer
available.

It used to appear right above my Online contacts.
However, it still has an option of checking email (Click
File | My Email Inbox), but when I click it opens up
Eudora. That is the email client I use. I would like to
be able to check my Hotmail email instead. Did Service
Pack 2 (SP2) removed this feature?

I thought only in Windows Messenger 5.0 was going to
remove this feature. I don't see what was changed,
because I still have Windows Messenger 4.7 installed.
What is the problem?

Greetings Eric,

Actually, the SP2 version of Windows Messenger doesn't support Add-Ins, so this feature is
now gone.

To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from here:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4

You'll also need the MSN Add-In:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738f90c1-755e-433a-bcd3-0f9d0a705f55
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded the latest service pack for Windows XP
> Professional and when I opened Windows Messenger I
> noticed the option of checking email was no longer
> available.
>
> It used to appear right above my Online contacts.
> However, it still has an option of checking email (Click
> File | My Email Inbox), but when I click it opens up
> Eudora. That is the email client I use. I would like to
> be able to check my Hotmail email instead. Did Service
> Pack 2 (SP2) removed this feature?
>
> I thought only in Windows Messenger 5.0 was going to
> remove this feature. I don't see what was changed,
> because I still have Windows Messenger 4.7 installed.
> What is the problem?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jonathan,

Is it possible that this add-in will become available in
the next update whenever the next service pack for
Windows XP becomes available?

Why was it removed? I really liked that feature.

Jonathan Kay.

>"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I downloaded the latest service pack for Windows XP
>> Professional and when I opened Windows Messenger I
>> noticed the option of checking email was no longer
>> available.
>>
>> It used to appear right above my Online contacts.
>> However, it still has an option of checking email
(Click
>> File | My Email Inbox), but when I click it opens up
>> Eudora. That is the email client I use. I would like to
>> be able to check my Hotmail email instead. Did Service
>> Pack 2 (SP2) removed this feature?
>>
>> I thought only in Windows Messenger 5.0 was going to
>> remove this feature. I don't see what was changed,
>> because I still have Windows Messenger 4.7 installed.
>> What is the problem?
>

>.

walter

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
|I downloaded the latest service pack for Windows XP
| Professional and when I opened Windows Messenger I
| noticed the option of checking email was no longer
| available.
|
| It used to appear right above my Online contacts.
| However, it still has an option of checking email (Click
| File | My Email Inbox), but when I click it opens up
| Eudora. That is the email client I use. I would like to
| be able to check my Hotmail email instead. Did Service
| Pack 2 (SP2) removed this feature?
|
| I thought only in Windows Messenger 5.0 was going to
| remove this feature. I don't see what was changed,
| because I still have Windows Messenger 4.7 installed.
| What is the problem?

Update to MSN Messenger 6.2 and all tings work fine.