Playing my first game and have a (stupid?) question

When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the city
are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about playing game stupid question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
    city
    > are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
    > cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
    > irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
    > Thanks.

    yes

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag

    ---
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
    > city
    > > are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between
    my
    > > cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
    > > irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > yes

    And, if you have several wasted squares, consider building a new city to
    allow those squares to be worked.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Wayne1127" <wayne1127@nospam.aol.com> wrote in

    > When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the city
    > are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
    > cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted?

    Yes.

    > Is Irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
    > Thanks.

    Absolutely.

    You might want to read up on OCP other city placement strategies on
    civfanatics.com to reduce this wastage.

    See http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_builders_dream.shtml#b for a short
    intro to OCP.

    data64
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Any improvements outside city squares are useless, except for
    roads/railroads connecting cities. Also, if you find a resource that is
    outside of your territory you can build a road leading to it and a colony on
    top of the resource.

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> kirjoitti
    viestissä:JfKdnbt_RK0BUcTcRVn-vg@eclipse.net.uk...
    >> When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
    > city
    >> are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
    >> cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
    >> irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > yes
    >
    > --
    > From Adam Webb, Overlag
    >

    > ---

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:55:40 -0400 Wayne1127 <wayne1127@nospam.aol.com>
    wrote in message
    <efe29bb7211091f2ebf143ec0ef63b7e@localhost.talkaboutgaming.com>...

    > When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
    > city are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space
    > between my cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is
    > wasted? Is irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?

    Mining is pointless, unless you expect at some point to build a city nearby.

    It might be necessary to irrigate a chain of squares to bring water within
    reach of your cities.

    Enemy civs can't use roads within your borders, so you get an enormous
    tactical advantage over invaders if you build a dense road network.

    --
    Daran

    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
    English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
    on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
    unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

Games Video Games