Playing my first game and have a (stupid?) question

Last response: in Video Games
September 28, 2004 7:55:40 PM

When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the city
are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
Thanks.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:41:29 AM

> When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
city
> are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
> cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
> irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
> Thanks.

yes

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag

---
September 29, 2004 1:41:30 AM

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> > When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
> city
> > are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between
my
> > cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
> > irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
> > Thanks.
> >

> yes

And, if you have several wasted squares, consider building a new city to
allow those squares to be worked.
September 29, 2004 2:01:08 AM

"Wayne1127" <wayne1127@nospam.aol.com> wrote in

> When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the city
> are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
> cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted?

Yes.

> Is Irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
> Thanks.

Absolutely.

You might want to read up on OCP other city placement strategies on
civfanatics.com to reduce this wastage.

See http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_builders_dream.shtm... for a short
intro to OCP.

data64
September 29, 2004 4:14:08 AM

Any improvements outside city squares are useless, except for
roads/railroads connecting cities. Also, if you find a resource that is
outside of your territory you can build a road leading to it and a colony on
top of the resource.

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> kirjoitti
viestissä:JfKdnbt_RK0BUcTcRVn-vg@eclipse.net.uk...
>> When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
> city
>> are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space between my
>> cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is wasted? Is
>> irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?
>> Thanks.
>>

> yes
>
> --
> From Adam Webb, Overlag
>

> ---

September 29, 2004 9:46:19 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:55:40 -0400 Wayne1127 <wayne1127@nospam.aol.com>
wrote in message
<efe29bb7211091f2ebf143ec0ef63b7e@localhost.talkaboutgaming.com>...

> When I go to the city view, I see the squares that the citizens of the
> city are (or could be) working. Does that mean that all that space
> between my cities that does NOT show up when I go to a city view is
> wasted? Is irrigation and mining pointless on those spaces?

Mining is pointless, unless you expect at some point to build a city nearby.

It might be necessary to irrigate a chain of squares to bring water within
reach of your cities.

Enemy civs can't use roads within your borders, so you get an enormous
tactical advantage over invaders if you build a dense road network.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll
!